Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

We made a 'good deal' yesterday. Found an inflatabel dinghy WITH a Suzuki 2 hp two-stroke OB at a VERY good price.

As for the dink, We are more than happy with it, since the old one simply is a bit too flimsy for the job. As for the OB, my emotions are ambivalent to say the least. Without the OB it's virtually impossible to go ashore in anything over 20 knots AND the tide running 2-3 knots. More of an inconvenience than a safety matter for sure but it's not a bad thing being able to go on land when one would like to. Another advantage is of course that in a calm we could actually tow the mor the mother ship with this new set-up.

The downside in my opinion?

The OB stored on the aft pushpit is another item added to the 'clutter' and then of course we'll have to store gas on board too....

Still, I guess the pros are more important.

What are your opinions on the matter?
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

I think the safety aspects of the outboard far outweigh the cons. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

jotruk

I'm sure that there will be times when you are moored and will find that it is quite away to paddle in and you will be glad for the motor
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

CharlieJ

For sure keep the motor. We have a 2.2 hp on our dinghy and many many times on this 7 months of cruising, we would have either not gone somewhere,, or missed fun things without the motor. Many anchorages have distances that simply preclude rowing. Boot Key Harbor for example, where we just left. It was an 8 minute motor to the dinghy dock to get to  groceries, gas, etc. Not to mention the showers, wifi availability and other things, which while not totally a requirement, make the trip much more fun.

We stow our motor in a cockpit locker since we have no stern rail.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Adrift, Charlie and jotruk

thanks for encouraging me. Obviously my 'other half' on board, AKA Isabelle have always been all for this idea...

Guess I am something of a die-hard conservative... but always liked the Pardey-style 'oars -and- yuloh' style.

Since I grew up on a river in northern Sweden,  the beauty of small boats and rowing has a special place in my mind  ::)
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Tim

Quote from: maxiSwede on March 26, 2010, 03:21:55 PM
Adrift, Charlie and jotruk

thanks for encouraging me. Obviously my 'other half' on board, AKA Isabelle have always been all for this idea...

Guess I am something of a die-hard conservative... but always liked the Pardey-style 'oars -and- yuloh' style.

Since I grew up on a river in northern Sweden,  the beauty of small boats and rowing has a special place in my mind  ::)

Well Magnus, it IS the 21st Century glad at least Isabelle is willing to stick her foot into it  ;D

And the Sprayhood does look awesome!
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Tim

Oh and pass this grog along to Isabelle for making sure you had a boat to come back to.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

maxiSwede

Thank you so much for the grog and greeting to Isabelle, sh sends you one too!  ....and then one from me
;D ;D ;D
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

tomwatt

A grog for you Magnus & Isa, for sharing your adventures on your wonderful boat with us.
May your winds always be fair...
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

maxiSwede

Our lives are taking a somewhat new turn and our voyage will continue from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico - which is in the Sea of Cortez. 

R?de Orm has been sold in Portugal to a fellow Swedish guy who has been in river rafting and dog sled tours most of his professional life. It's going to be very interesting to see where he's gonna take her. I bet R?de Orm will be heading north again in May next year.

We flew in to Sonora a couple of weks ago after finding the boat of our dreams over here, or so we thought.

Now the purchase of the new to us boat is done here in San Carlos. The first boat we looked at turned out to provide a bit too much work needed. Instead, we now settled for a Southern Cross 35 'Cutter, which will be named our' Nanna' and become our sailing home nd hearth for a looong time hopefully. In about a week, we'll have access to the boat, it's in very good condition and well equipped too. She is also incredibly strongly built (just like R?de Orm) and is in all respects, a 'big sister' to R?de Orm.

An interesting detail in connection with the boat purchase is that this Southern Cross was my favourite already when I started looking for boats on the net, but it was too expensive for our budget. After these two months since I made a deposit on the other one, however, the price came down quite a bit already and after a few rounds with bids and counter-bids, we finally came to an agreement. We are very happy with it and I have never seen a production boat  which is so completetly uncompromisingly, and knowledgeably, built for long term crusing. I would not trade her in for a Hallberg-Rassy ever.  ;)

Well, everything in life happens for a purpose.

Isabelle used to live in San Carlos a little more than 3 years ago and just before the two of us met.

We are renting a small apartment  in the basement of the nice house belonging to Rosemary and William. They are  friends of Isabelle's since she lived here Deja v? for her and all new playground for me.

Sea of Cortez, which according to Jacques Costeau is one of the 3-4 places in the world with the richest marine life, UNESCO's World Heritage and all - will now be 'discovered' by us with fins and  snorkels during the next few months before we eventually move south along Mexico's coast and then to Costa Rica and out on the Southern Pacific.

Any other sailfarers presently in the Sea of Cortez?

Another exciting possibility in the future is that my old Norwegian friend Per, who's been   living in Mexico for many years, has put me in contact with a few plantations in Chiapas down on the border to Guatemala. It seems like we might well get the opportunity to stay there fof some months, working on one of these 'fincas' and topping up the cruising kitty a healthy bit.

P.S.We started a new blog for the new boat AND this new chapter in our lives.

There's more info on the boat  the url is:

www.svnanna.wordpress.com
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

CapnK

Wow! What a surprise, and-  Congratulations, Magnus and Isabelle!!! Looking forward to reading all about how it turns out for you. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Hi Magnus, so glad it ended up working out for you. Perfect timing to be down there.

Re;
QuoteAny other sailfarers presently in the Sea of Cortez?

I don't know, but I sure can think of one that would like to be!

W.A. Ward

CapnK

Quote from: maxiSwede on November 26, 2010, 03:45:00 PMAny other sailfarers presently in the Sea of Cortez?

Oh, I missed this first time around.

Magnus - Greg and Jill Delezenski aboard the s/v 'Guenevere' are down there somewhere - unless they've moved to parts further south already... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

maxiSwede

OK, the boat deal is officially done. Contract signed and we are going through the equipment and systems with the (previous) owner the next ouple fo days. Hope to be able to splash beginning of next week, and then anchor out on the bay here.

The next couple of weeks we'' do some daysaling and shorter trips back and forth to get to know the boat.

Life is Good!
It's interesting that after a couple weeks in a house we really miss living at the hook, waking up in the boat, going to sleep gently rocked by the swells in the anchorage.....'dreaming'
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

3 months has flied by.... and lots of work. Finally the 'to do' -list is checked off, box by box and we're ready to go sailing again. We have been doing 2 dayssails with our new boat, just to get a feel for her, and a couple of days ago I did a daysail on a BEUTIFUL little SailFar -style boat here.

An S&S design 1969 vintage Dolphin 24 with a centreboard, trailerable.

Felt like being back on the Folkboat I once used to have !  ;D

Anyway, we're back to cruising now and will head over to the Baja side in a few days

svnanna.wordpress.com
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

JWalker

The Dolphin 24 is indeed a sailfar style boat!

I have one!   ;D

what hull number was it?

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

Not much internet access in the last few months, but a fabulous time spent in the wilderness of Baja california/ Sea of Cortez. Spearfishing and skindiving and clamming for dinner.... missing it already!

svnanna. wordpress.com
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Tim

Great to hear from you Magnus, you and Isabelle are living the dream.

W.A. Ward