Interesting boat - Laurin Koster

Started by tomwatt, June 10, 2010, 01:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomwatt

Anyone ever heard of these before?
Interesting line of boats, Laurin, with the appellation "koster" added (meaning something like canoe end).
Features a "whaledeck" forward, and in light of looking at the lines, the shape of the Albin Vega makes sense now.
http://www.laurinkoster.dk/
German website, but English content (with iffy translation in a place or two).
I like the looks...
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Capt. Tony

They are interesting.  I couldn't tell if some of the L31's were cutter rigged or scutter rigged.  I wasn't able to find any interior photos though and I'm always interested in those.

They have very similar lines to the Te Koop Midget 31.

tomwatt

Capt Tony, there are a couple of them listed on Yachtworld with interior photos... nicely appointed, as they say... there's a 28 over in the islands that's kind of affordable (well, not for me at the moment)... and if you drill down into the site above, there's a lot of info on the L32.
Definitely a Nordic inspired boat, interior is not at all leaning towards a Hunter or Catalina-inspired fitting out.
Following some links I found last night, I discovered several references to whale-shaped boat parts - fin keels, whale-backed decks, whale-shaped bows, etc. Machine-translations, so meaning is a little difficult, but clearly they are (and others in the same league) are inspired by folks that love the sea.
I don't know, these boats just make my heart sing!
Rigs on these seem to vary from ketch to cutter (genuine) to sloop-rigs on the late models.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
Kinda up for sale.

maxiSwede

These are legendary blue water cruisers, designed by the late arvid Laurin, born 1901 IIRC. Born out of the history of traditional working/sailing fishing boats, they re still raced in their own class in Sweden.

The site referred to is by danish L32 owner named J?rgen Brems, who has done  a labour of love trying to keep track of the owners of these boats.

apart from older wooden koster-boats, they were built as L-28, L-32 (L-31 too) and L-38 (just 12 bulit)

Ours, is one out of approx. 10 ketch-rigged, most others are sloops.

My Flickr-ccount has quite  few pictures ?refiitting R?de Orm' and found from the 'photo gallery' in our blog....(see below)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

tomwatt

Ah, thank you!
Yes, I could tell that the site was a labor of love... and knowing you've got one and that they're a reliable enough model to count on gives me hope. There's a boat out there for me somewhere!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

evantica

Yes agree with above mentioned! Beautifull bluewater cruisers!
Even the Allegro 27 footer up to 33! Arvid Laurin design. (If I'm not wrong?!)
Was actually one L31 for sale in Swe a little while ago, almost ready to sail for as cheap as 4500 USD. Even an Aldagio 27 the same hull shape, but different "roof" more of a motorsailer

tomwatt

Oh, thanks for that tidbit on the Allegro, Evantica... she's a fat little girl, really cute! I like the lines a lot!
Another one for my "wish list"!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

evantica

ok. Theres a nice DVD on a world around sailing with a 27" Allegro. A young couple from my home turf.  Can find it on: www. seglarfilm.se  (Litorina)

evantica

sorry: www.seglarfilm.se      if you want to order : "skickabest?llning" far right

tomwatt

I'm going to have to wait on ordering anything for a while - incomeless!
But thank you for suggesting that link.
I also see that there is a Laurin 28 for sale in the Carribean, and an Allegro too.
Wishing and window shopping is all I can do for the moment though.
:(
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
Kinda up for sale.

evantica

Tomwatt. Know what you're saying, It's kind of a struggle sometimes. Been there much to often and still is, from time to time!

maxiSwede

Allegros are nice too.... a bit more 'modern' i e higher free board more beam. Still designed according to the 'koster rule' though... by Lars Norlin.

An american similar design I like is the Tayana 37.... but a bit too expensive for my budget
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

evantica

HI there MAxiSwe. Heard you met some "friends" in Porto?! on ""Nemo Of Sweden"?!

maxiSwede

Yes, anchored 50 meters downstream from us. Nice to have a 'visitor' from home down here
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com