Belhaven, NC - Still want to visit?

Started by Captain Smollett, August 30, 2010, 11:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Belhaven, NC is a charming coastal town conveniently located on the ICW.  The praises of this town have been sung numerous times on this forum.

But today I was saddened to learn, much after the fact to matter, that Belhaven is currently undergoing "commercial waterfront development" by adding waterfront condos.

Daybeacon #9 Under Construction

At the risk of veering into political territory, I submit this post to ask each coastal boater to weigh for themselves how they stand on such development.  For my own part, I oppose it; I think it damages the community in a number of ways; not the least of these is a dramatic lowering of my own, personal desire to visit such towns (and spend money there).

I was sufficiently moved by this news (to me...shows how "in touch" I am - this had to be in the works and under way for quite some time) that I fired off an email to the Belhaven town manager.  I'm not going to stop this from being built, of course, but I felt the town should know that other places will now get my tourism/cruising dollars.

I just have no desire to visit towns with waterfronts that look like that.  You couple that with my observation that of a trend (at least one I see) that such development often accompanies a decrease in amenities like dinghy docks, Mom-n-Pop shops with courtesy cars, grocery stores an easy walk from the dinghy dock (if one exists), etc.

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but I am trying to think long term.  THIS particular project may not hurt Belhaven's visitability "index" in the near future - but what of the long term?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

I saw this yesterday, and have been chewing on it.

I recall speaking to folks in the past about a proposed journey... and hearing things about how it was 'ok, but was ruined by..."

These things may have been true for them, but were not so for me.  Most of the places where I have visited have been as good as I allowed them to be.  When people told me that the locals were not friendly I could not disagree more.

Now, there ARE changes that are unfortunate.  I hate it that developers try to 'pave paradise' because there are already too many parking lots....

Oriental is a great sailing town.  I recall when the condos were being built there and doom was predicted.  When I was just back, there was a bit more traffic, but it was still a cool town....

Yes, it is sad to see some of the changes that come... but I don't necessarily cross a place off of my list because some developer tries to trade it's charm for a buck.  I hope no one writes off Belhaven... and that those who will see it for the first time will enjoy it as much as Rose and I have.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on August 31, 2010, 04:54:48 PM

Yes, it is sad to see some of the changes that come... but I don't necessarily cross a place off of my list because some developer tries to trade it's charm for a buck.  I hope no one writes off Belhaven... and that those who will see it for the first time will enjoy it as much as Rose and I have.

You do make some excellent points.  Perhaps my response was a bit "kneejerk," but it was based on my own personal perception of the development slippery slope.

ONE set of condos/waterfront hirise is probably not too bad.  Oriental is still small enough to retain it's small town charm.  I simply want to 'raise awareness' for the possibility that it does not stop there.  It is POSSIBLE that Belhaven could be completely 'gutted' and become completely 'commercial.' Young's 2005 Edition of the Cruising Guide reports a lot of coastal towns going this route...with the loss of 'small boat friendly' and 'transient friendly' amenities.

Imagine if everyone adopted the attitude of the Charleston City Marina - where money talks and small boaters seemingly need not even bother.  Belhaven might (and I hope it does) avoid this, but all it takes is ONE developer with more interest in $$ than the character of the town.

Soapbox off, now.

For the record, I probably WILL still visit Belhaven...but I likely won't spend $$ at any concern associated with this development; I'm not their target demographic, anyway.  According the town development plan, they are targeting visitors from Raleigh.  The potential traffic from Raleigh was a bullet point given by the feasibility consultants in favor of 'waterfront development.'
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Your example of Charleston is spot on.

The developers and the municipality did make it pretty small boat friendly.  I HATE the idea that this may happen to Belhaven... and agree that it would be good for any who live in such places and have a 'vote' do what they can.

I am thankful however, that I believe our attitude will largely define our experience. 

There is a long time poster on several boards I frequent.  He and his wife have lots of experience... he has an article in this month's Good Old Boat... (hope I am not too specific, but want to point out that he has some knowledge.

The sad thing is that most of what I have read him to post about on the internet is negativity.  Always seeming to find the negitive, he has gone on rants against everything from cruisers associations to the entire state of Florida.  He seems to be most happy when he can recruit people to join him in saying how terrible something is.

I am not interested in that attitude at all.  Negative people suck, and I am so thankful that there are so many good folks here (like you John) who are not negitive people.  Encouragement goes so much farther.  Not to say we should turn a blind eye to the problems, of course not.  Just that we should do what we can, and then look for the positive in what ever the outcome is. 

I recall a letter Frank wrote to Rose and I before we left on our long trip.  He pointed out some of the great things to see, and people he met...  and just how cool it was.  I want to look for that.... sure we can and should be realistic about the rest too (I try to do that in my trip reports).

Grog to you for starting this thread.  I hope Bellhaven comes through this ok.  I look forward to hearing from the folks who go through there... enjoy the special of the day at 'Wine and Words' and don't miss touring the town in River Forest Manor's gulf carts if you get the chance (all you have to do is buy some fuel and they would let you use them)... enjoy!

CharlieJ

Don't read Good Old Boat, so can't comment. Don't get ANY mags at all- too hard to have them catch up :D

In slightly over a year of cruising, through 8 states and the Bahamas, I can say Laura and I have found that places are largely what you make them. We have been quite well received , with very few exceptions, everywhere we've been. And we have met the neatest people too.

I ran into a bad attitude in Cortez, Fl, so we moved to Bradenton Beach right across the river, and felt hugely welcome . Much better spot anyway- more convienent.

We even anchored in Marco Island two nights with zero problems.

We did blow past Charleston in the length of time it took to transit the bay ;D but that was largely due to time scheduling. We wanted to get somewhere else that evening.

I did have and interesting experience in Belhaven years ago. I was told to BE SURE and stop there cause there was a great party on Friday nights. So we pulled into a Marina at about 2:30, 3:00. Tied up and went walking- around a ghost town. All stores closed, no cars, no people- nothing. We wandered around for an hour, then went back to the boat. Saturday morning we left, without paying, because we never were able to find anyone who we COULD pay.

Never saw a living soul. :o :o

Always wondered what was going on that night ???
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

bladedancer

Dont know about Bellhaven but I have experienced the consequences of "gentrification" in other places and have come to the conclusion that they are generally negative. Of course anywhere you go what you bring, your attitude, will make a difference. That's axiomatic.
What really puzzles me is it that whenever someone has the temerity to point out something wrong, instead of addressing the issue, the person is called negative.
Seems to be a particularly American thing this inability to deal with criticism. If it were an individual people would think 'why is this person so insecure that they can't accept a valid observation concerning their character/behavior, learn from it and change for the better'. Were we to operate that way where our boats were concerned, or navigation, we'd pretty soon end up like the Titanic. Hope will not get you through a storm.  Facing reality and taking the appropriate action might.
Meanwhile, where's a good DIY yard in NC or SC? Need to clean and paint LM's bottom  and check the rigging. Would much rather hope its just fine, but like the Arabs say " pray to Allah, but make sure your camel is well tethered"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: bladedancer on September 04, 2010, 01:33:35 AM

Meanwhile, where's a good DIY yard in NC or SC? Need to clean and paint LM's bottom  and check the rigging. Would much rather hope its just fine, but like the Arabs say " pray to Allah, but make sure your camel is well tethered"

I've broken this discussion off to another thread specifically for NC/SC DIY boat yards.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Mario G

I was looking at Belhaven as our next destination.  I should admit I'm not much for change and prefer the quite little ports then the newly developed.

Thanks John this came at perfect timing,  I remember walking around some old Europan towns and not seeing anyone and feeling creep-ed out, Charlie do you know that a complete settlement disappeared not fa from there on Roanoke Island.

I should ask if there are alot of shallow areas to watch for. (All my charts are on the boat.)

CharlieJ

Quote from: Mario G on September 05, 2010, 09:53:11 AM

Charlie do you know that a complete settlement disappeared not fa from there on Roanoke Island.

Yep - Croatan. I spent some time in Manteo years ago. In fact, I was there JUST before the launching of the Elizabeth II. She was still on the ways then.

Dockage at Manteo was $5 per night then, and the shower was roofless, and drained through the dock boards. Bet that's changed.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: bladedancer on September 04, 2010, 01:33:35 AM....
What really puzzles me is it that whenever someone has the temerity to point out something wrong, instead of addressing the issue, the person is called negative.....

Oh, I hope that is not what came across in my post.  I assure you, that John is neither negitive, nor do I wish to
suggest so.  He is a very encouraging person, and I am quite thankful that he is a personal friend of mine.

My intention is to say that even as places change, and even if those changes include things we might not wish
for, that there is still much good that can remain.... and that we do well to look for that.

Sorry to give the wrong impression.

OBTW,

I bought a really funny t shirt in Bellhaven.  It simply says;

Paris France
London England
(some other famous city I can not recall)
Belhaven North Carolina.  ;D

bladedancer

No, 'tis I that apologize for being oblique. Probably for fear of offending new found friends, especially someone with the moniker s/v faith. What I was trying to convey was my sense that looking for the silver lining in the cloud means we ignore the reality of an approaching storm. I think it's wonderful that despite all the bad news we persist in seeing the good that endures and the beauty of the human spirit.
But, for myself' it was only when I lost all hope that I began to take seriously the need to radically alter how I lived, and then to seek out others willing to go beyond 'looking on the bright side' type positive thinking, or worse "escaping america" [title of magazine]  people who were, in many different ways, 'thinking out side the box' and exploring news ways of living together.

Jim_ME

Perhaps the closer to ideal a place is [that is, unique], the more profound the degradation or loss of that can be perceived to be. I think of Mozart replying to the criticism of his music, saying that it had exactly the number of notes that he required.

I agree that the intention of the person doing the criticizing is important. If it is to draw attention to a real threat of potential loss, with a constructive spirit, then I take that as a positive thing.

Here in Maine (in Portland I'm thinking about specifically) about 25 years ago there were sudden major changes to the harbor waterfront, with the new construction of many condos there along the old docks. In addition to the initial changes to the character of the areas, there was the concern that the traditional uses could not compete economically with the deep pockets of the investors and that traditional uses, businesses, public access, and activities would be driven out to other areas (for as long as those areas would remain available).

A real concern was that it was the beginning of a long-term trend, and the cumulative change over time, and nothing organized to counterbalance it. There was the irony that many of the people who might be coming to live in a condo to enjoy the views of and experience the traditional local culture could, if it continued unchecked, ultimately destroy the very thing that brought them here.

It led to discussions about how certain development can be very profitable in the short term to a few, can sometimes be harmful to larger economic interests [as well as local heritage and cultural identity, which transcend economics] of the many in the long term, and who represents those interests and how they can be balanced, and with the public learning what is at stake, and making planning decisions that guide development with that understanding.  

One response to it was the creation of organizations like this:
http://www.workingwaterfront.com/

Jim_ME

If the Belhaven situation is similar to Portland, then there may also be many there that are working to preserve its character, so it may serve the cause to continue going there and support and encourage those businesses and organizations that do.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 05, 2010, 10:40:38 AM

Yep - Croatan. I spent some time in Manteo years ago. In fact, I was there JUST before the launching of the Elizabeth II. She was still on the ways then.

Dockage at Manteo was $5 per night then, and the shower was roofless, and drained through the dock boards. Bet that's changed.

Sitting over at Union Point Park this morning and looked down river under the highway bridge...saw a three masted square rigger motoring up toward town.  Turned right in front of the park to clear the opening bridge and find her berth in New Bern for the weekend.

Recognize her, Charlie?  Sorry the image is poor..phone camera.  Hunter was SO excited when she realized we had been aboard up at Roanoke Island.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Mario G

We were parked near her in Manteo but never got a close look. Are plans were for Belhaven this weekend because we could not sail last weekend. I'm still not sure about the winds so if its going to be a slow sail we might come your way Capt S. and give the ol girl a look see.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Mario G on September 16, 2010, 08:16:57 AM

We were parked near her in Manteo but never got a close look. Are plans were for Belhaven this weekend because we could not sail last weekend. I'm still not sure about the winds so if its going to be a slow sail we might come your way Capt S. and give the ol girl a look see.

Big doin's in New Bern this weekend...300th Anniversary Jubilee, so it will be festive and crowded.

And actually, we will be out of town.  I'll be in and out trying to get some boat work done (nice weather this weekend, and I have to get to it while I can), but the family is going to be gone and I will be traveling back and forth.

I have heard that they are going to have E-II open on Saturday and Sunday, so if you do come up, you might get aboard.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

mrb

This kind of development has already happend all up and down the pacific coast.  I have seen any number of small fishing communities devastated by development.  Places where small boats counted and money was not that important.   Once the money people come and bring the people with them they suddenly become offended by everything that brought them to that community.

The North Shore of lake Pontchartrain on Louisiana has had this happen and once it happens there is no going back.

Just my observations