Sailfar Cruising Stations

Started by Auspicious, February 23, 2011, 11:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

I'd like to propose SailFar keep track of members who are willing to open welcoming arms to others coming through their area. I know a number of us have pitched in informally. I suggest just a tiny but of organization, like, oh, say, a list?

The model I am thinking of is like the SSCA cruising stations focused on support to small boats.

For example, I'm on Back Creek in Annapolis. I can help with local knowledge, transportation to groceries, chandleries, laundry, and hardware stores. I can help with taking on water and pump-outs and making slip arrangements if desired.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Captain Smollett

Excellent idea, Dave.  We've been kicking around this sort of idea for a while and just never pinned down a clean, efficient way to execute it.  I think you've hit upon the winning solution.

For my part:

We live in New Bern, NC on the Neuse River.  We can provide shoreside transport for the Neuse (Oriental, New Bern) and Pamlico (Belhaven, Bath, Washington) Rivers as well as the Beaufort, NC/Morehead City, NC area.

I can provide local knowledge for navigation of the Neuse, Pamlico and Trent Rivers, with some experience on the waters in the Beaufort/Morehead area as well.

Can assist with planning for cruising from here to points South, with sailing experience (outside and ICW) down to Charleston, SC and in/around the Hilton Head / Port Royal Sound areas.  

(If we get a lot of responses in this thread, I'll make a sticky "summary" thread that will always stay on top, including the links to the individual detailed posts...if that seems like it will be helpful).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Auspicious

So can I be founder, SailFar cruising stations? *grin*
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Greenman

I am in Halifax NS, and can pretty much help out with most Cruiser needs in this area.

1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Tim

Quote from: Auspicious on February 23, 2011, 02:05:07 PM
So can I be founder, SailFar cruising stations? *grin*

Founder and chief organizer *biggergrin*

For my part if any SailFar'ers find themselves on the northern California coast, Monterey Bay to Humboldt Bay, I will come out and share local knowledge and chauffeur. Though I have not sailed much of it (only the bays) I have kayaked quite a bit of it.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bubba the Pirate

I'm about 30 minutes from Holland, Mi on Lake Michigan if anyone makes it to the Inland Seas. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oldrig

I'm based on Buzzards Bay, Mass.

So is Dan "Adriftatsea."

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CapnK

Looky here:

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=213281

ATTN - Security Notice: Any information you put in to this map gets posted "in the clear" for anyone/everyone to see/read/harvest; I suggest that you obfuscate your email address or other such important info that you submit.

It's an editable map. I plugged in my info, I think others can do the same, or maybe Dave, as "Founder"  ;D can do it based on input in this thread...?

(Dave, will send you a PM...)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Auspicious

I put all the posts in the thread so far on the map. @Tim - I put you in San Fransisco - let me know if that isn't right.

I'll be happy to put markers in for you or you can do it yourself.

Kurt - How about a link to the map on the index page?
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Mr. Fixit

I am located in the Albany, NY area and very close to the Erie Canal--Will supply any support i can. Please put me on the map.

Tim

great job Dave! SF is just fine, though I am physically north of it.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Michael Homsany

Sign us up (map below)!

True story:  An Ozzie missionary type had a trailer sailor in Oz, sold the boat, went off on mission work in Africa for many years.

Retires, buys a small piece of land just outside of Savusavu, talkes a walk on the beach, and there's his old boat, abandoned and pretty ratty!  Turns into a major rebuild project (keeps sinking because of the centreboard truck leaking), but kind of neat, how it seemed to find him after 30 years!  He never has figured out the chain of events that got the boat from Oz to Fiji.

Sailing directions from the West coast of US:  Leave harbour, turn left, keep going straight until butter melts, then turn right.

Follow contrails to Hawai'i, then turn left onto a reach, keep going until the first high island group.

If you hear sheep, you've gone too far, turn around and come back :)

About Bebi Electronics-Winners of the Democratic Government of Fiji's Annual Unique Exporter of the Year Award!
http://www.bebi-electronics.com/about.html

okawbow

I will try and come down river from St. Louis to Mobile in April. Plan to sail to Bermuda from there. Would be happy to hear from Sailfar members along the way.
Chuck
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Auspicious

Michael - Thanks for signing up. I used 16?35′S 179?11′E for your location (from Wikipedia) and attached your map and directions to zero in on you.

I look forward to meeting you some day.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

tomwatt

I'm high and dry in Maumelle, Arkansas these days. However, I am in plain sight of the Arkansas River (and have all the charts for that river), so if anyone sails past, I would be happy to paddle out in one of my kayaks. I have (or can share) the info on fuel stops/stations along the river (Arkansas), and don't mind chauffering salty SailFar creatures around a bit.
I fall a little short of Mark Twain's humor (and river knowledge), but I'll do my part.
On a brighter note, I spent a considerable amount of time poking around in an old boat last week. May make an offer shortly. It's got sails, trailer, and a nice clean interior. Could be a good thing.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Captain Smollett

The map is really cool.  Thanks, guys, for putting that together.

There is one issue I found, though.

It is pretty much unusable on a smart phone (at least in my case, Droid) in landscape.  The zeemaps specific stuff takes up almost the whole screen and leaves a thin strip of map, less than one centimeter, in the middle.  The strip is too small to do anything with, like zoom in/out or move the map to a location of interest.

It might be a little better in portrait configuration....but when I tried to use it that way, the whole map did not load.   :'(

I had to wait to get back to the boat to check it out, and post, from the laptop.

Just wanted to let you know...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

maxiSwede

Such a lovely idea.

Though we are without base on land since over two years, anyone happening to be 'around?is welcome....

presently in Sea of Cortez and we'll be staying here over the summer and hurricane season before heading south for Central America and Equador.

svnanna.wordpress.com
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

marujo_sortudo

I put myself on there, too.  Looks like we've got some good coverage on the East Coast shaping up.

bladedancer

Add us to the list! I'm back in Brooklyn, New York- Jamaica Bay to be precise- and can advise on local anchorages, docks, other marine facilities. Also tips for going through NYC to Long Island Sound and places to anchor, get supplies in LIS. Send message for local phone #.

Chattcatdaddy

Just added myself in Chattanooga, TN. Hopefully can amend that coming next winter/spring as I`m getting real close to taking off.
Keith
International Man of Leisure