News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cartagena, Colombia

Started by s/v Faith, March 16, 2012, 10:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I have had a few 'big boat' deliveries in the last several months that i have not written about here but thought this one would be of interest.

I am to get underway from Clearwater FL on Monday or Tuesday for a 1400 mile passage to Cartagena Colombia.  A few of the details are being worked out, but the boat is a Bene 355 with a 20gallon fuel capacity (80g h2o).  The original quote was for a Bene 465...

I have never been to South America before, so this will be a new stamp in the passport... look for updates as I learn more.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Cool, I was Cartagena about 40 years ago :) I imagine it has changed a little ;D

Actually spent very little time there, immediately went up coast to Barranquilla.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

Check out the coffee market you can get some great fresh coffee there
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

s/v Faith

Tim

Santa Marta is actually where we stayed for awhile, small little fishing port then. Spent a month in a fishing village over the hill from there and traveled around some awesome countryside.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bill NH

Went into Cartagena a number of years ago with 25 college students on the schooner Westward... beautiful city and harbor!  The winds always seemed stronger off the Columbia coast by about a notch or two on the Beaufort scale.  I remember we were low on potable water, had to have an "engine problem" at the navy pier while we let the fresh water hose do its thing... ;)

Have a great trip!
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Captain Smollett

Split the discussion of the trip itself to Sailing Stories - Delivery to Cartegena, Colombia so that this thread can remain about Cartagena as a destination.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Posting the rest of the journey here... the passage portion of this trip is Delivery to Cartegena, Colombia.

s/v Faith

It was a long passage, but the approach was looming.

We had a divert possibility to Providencia, which we did not take.  A couple days out we passed by 'Beacon Key' which is a small island that is 400 nm from anywhere... it was quite strange to see land surrounded by 3000+' of water in the middle of the Spanish Main.

(I thought I took a picture, maybe Steve has one... if so will post later).

There was almost no traffic from the time we were 3 days south of Cuba until we got to Columbia.

We were in the shipping channel from Cartagena and saw quite a few ships on day 14. 

It was strange to see fishermen paddling dug-out canoes off shore of Boca Grande;

These guys are real watermen...

The city skyline appeared out of the fog all at once...

Their is a large jetty that was sunk by the Spanish to restrict the entry of pirate ships... VERY important to have good charts and feel for the approach.

The marina / boat yard was in the 'industrial area' surrounded by very poor areas... the boat yard was quite nice but this was the view next door;

s/v Faith

The final approach to the marina was a tricky tangle of mangroves and small PVC poles... we made it.

Marina Manzanillo Club from the water

Arrival was to the cheers of the owner and several of his associates.  It felt good to bring the boat to someone who was so obviously excited to get it.

Ooh La La in her new berth (modified med moor).

s/v Faith

The marina is quite an impressive operation. 

The approach;

The rates are reasonable, and the quality of work is excellent;

The gate into the marina / boat yard;

An example of their work;

The boat in the background has 8 layers of hand rubbed gel coat applied and rubbed out with 2000 grit sandpaper... it looks like glass.

Outside the marina you enter another world.

s/v Faith

More to follow (will replace this post later)....

Chattcatdaddy

Wow what a trip! Im so happy I got an Ariel and not a more "modern" design. The report really shows the negatives of such designs for passagemaking.

That wheel looks HUGE. Any trouble moving about the cockpit?
Keith
International Man of Leisure

s/v Faith

Quote from: Chattcatdaddy on April 07, 2012, 02:29:29 PM
Wow what a trip! Im so happy I got an Ariel and not a more "modern" design. The report really shows the negatives of such designs for passagemaking.

That wheel looks HUGE. Any trouble moving about the cockpit?

Yes, it was truly huge... so much so that to climb forward (required whenever doing ANY sail trim) you had to climb outside of the cockpit to get there.. a truly dangerous arrangement.

s/v Faith

Cartagena was a really interesting place.

The state department web site warns of everything from the dangers of medical tourism, to kidnapping...  oh, and drugs.  You may have heard something about Columbia having a drug issue... maybe so.

That said, I found  Cartagena to be a really interesting place, and would go back.  It helps that the owner was a terrific host and generous man who was very grateful to us for bringing his boat to him.

Old town is the largest walled city that remains from the era.

Yea, the gold the conquistadors were looking for?  It was there... I saw it in the 'gold museum'...

It was 'Holy Week' when we were there, the crowds were largely folks on their national holiday.  Here is the Cathedral;

s/v Faith

Couple more pictures of the old town;

There were many places selling emeralds...

We stayed in a very nice apartment that was owned by a friend of the boat's owner.  It was good we had this option, as the 'Conference of the Americas' was to take place next week and all the hotels were full.

Big show of force for the upcoming festivities;

View from the room;

The port from the water;

The anchorage had a couple hundred cruising boats, many of them were 'Sailfar' size;

I am not sure, but I think the local authorities were keeping an eye on us;

Jim_ME

Quote from: s/v Faith on April 07, 2012, 12:16:33 PM
The passage was long, hard and wet. ...
...The boat was flexing all over... the port lights leaked more and more with each day. ... 
...These are the costs of making such a passage in such a boat.  Each day I would think about how much easier this would be aboard 'Faith'....

Craig, That is remarkable. I often think about the strength of a rugged conservative design as additional *insurance* in survival situations (and no doubt it is), but even in these conditions, the lack of it sounds like it made for a miserable experience.

It also makes me think that if one has to have a 35 footer, that for that same 13,000 pounds of displacement, and probably far less cost, he could have an Alberg 35 (with a dodger). How much more comfortable (and ultimately, safe) that would have been.

Congrats on making the delivery, and thanks for sharing the experience and great photos of what seems to me is an exotic place. Grog to you. :) - Jim