Delivery to Cartegena, Colombia

Started by Tim, March 20, 2012, 04:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

The skipper of s/v Faith has left the arena!

"Spot" shows a little offshore Clearwater

(Edit: Corrected spelling error in subject line made after moving thread to new board).
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Tim on March 20, 2012, 04:27:41 PM
The skipper of s/v Faith has left the arena!

"Spot" shows a little offshore Clearwater

Indeed, they are making progress!

Keeping a steady course generally SW and off the coast of Ft. Meyers.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Emerald Tide

Faith is reporting "Experiencing a delay. lack of wind, weather, or mechanical problem I do not need help but may be delayed."  Appears to have changed course towards the Keys, rather than heading West of Cuba to the Caribbean Sea.  Too early to tell.  

(Edit: Corrected spelling error in subject line made after moving thread to new board).

Lars

This trip looks like an upwind slog all the way according to Passageweather. Likely they are going to wait for better conditions in south florida or proceed through the bahamas and Windward passage to make it more bearable .. eighter way this is a LONG brutal 1400 miles for a Beneteau 35

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Lars on March 21, 2012, 12:54:57 PM

This trip looks like an upwind slog all the way according to Passageweather.

Interesting.  NOAA is showing just a touch North of East out to 72 hours for almost the entire geographic region ... as does PassageWeather for the timeframe I glanced at it.  
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Emerald Tide on March 21, 2012, 12:15:16 PM

Faith is reporting "Experiencing a delay. lack of wind, weather, or mechanical problem I do not need help but may be delayed."  Appears to have changed course towards the Keys, rather than heading West of Cuba to the Caribbean Sea.  Too early to tell.  

Whatever is going on, it does not look to be something that's forcing them into port.  They changed course and seem to have slowed down, but are not heading ashore (at least yet).

I'm pretty sure they have a Sat. Phone aboard based on something Craig said to me before they left; if I  happen to hear something, I will let everyone here know.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Emerald Tide

No sat phone on board.  

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Emerald Tide on March 21, 2012, 05:39:33 PM

No sat phone on board.  

Okay.  He said on the 18th:

I believe I will have a sat phone onboard.

and never said otherwise before departure, so I assumed he did have one.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Emerald Tide on March 21, 2012, 12:15:16 PM

SPOT messages are now intermixed with normal, a-ok "check" messages and the delay message.

Definitely looks like they are heading to the Keys, and which may have been planned after gaining some searoom.  I don't think there's anything "wrong" per se.  

That "delay" message looks like one of SPOT's generic messages.

Graphical Update for those interested:
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Update:

Heard from Craig this morning from the Keys.

Autopilot failure and some above-deck leaks led to the decision to head in to square some things away before continuing southward.

They should be underway again soon, but probably not today.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

They've turned around the Western end of Cuba, and should now have a straight shot to Cartagena.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Tim

And conditions are looking good so far

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Jamaica Abeam, and still looking good!

Gotta Love the SPOT.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Tim

Yep. it is fun to see the progress, certainly makes one want to be out there.

W.A. Ward

Tim

Getting close, they have been making excellent progress about a quarter of the way to go.

W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Tim on March 31, 2012, 02:45:11 PM
Getting close, they have been making excellent progress about a quarter of the way to go.

Yes, looking good.  I've been really hoping that stinking Low sitting right on the coast would dissipate...thing's been there over a week now.

It's not real deep, but it had been producing 20-ish knots right along their approach into port.  Hopefully, the winds are finally starting to break up a little bit.

I cannot wait to hear the details of the trip!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

s/v Emerald Tide

Coordinates at 21:46 CDT, 3/31/2012:  Lat 13.294  Long -77.720

Per NOAA:  SW CARIBBEAN S OF 15N W OF 75W
1130 PM EDT SAT MAR 31 2012

.TONIGHT THROUGH SUN NIGHT...N OF 11N E OF 78W NE TO E WINDS 20
TO 25 KT DIMINISHING TO 20 KT SUN NIGHT. SEAS 7 TO 9 FT. N OF
11N W OF 78W NE TO E WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 4 TO 7 FT. S OF 11N
N TO NE WINDS 10 KT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT IN NE SWELL.
.MON THROUGH THU. N OF 12N NE TO E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 4 TO
7 FT. S OF 12N NE WINDS 10 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT IN NE SWELL.

Looks like they have sailed into some rougher weather. 

Captain Smollett

I look for them to be in by lunchtime!  WOO-HOO!   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Tim

W.A. Ward

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: Tim on April 02, 2012, 03:12:58 PM
Looks as though they are in port!

Woo hoo!  Bring on the stories and pictures!