Big migration south this year!

Started by s/v Faith, November 21, 2013, 08:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I am anchored near Fenwick Cut, a few miles north of Beaufort SC.  It is a beautiful evening, the sky is full of stars.

I have been underway aboard s/v Fairwinds for about a week now, moving it back from oriental to Florida where it will eventually depart from to cross to the Bahamas.

Once I get to Florida aboard this one, I will head back up to NC and take s/v Emerald Tide down.

There have been an absolutely huge number of boats headed south this year!  I bet the Bahamas will be crowded (relatively).

Anyone else who posts here part of the migration this year?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

The trip has been inside all the way so far,

14 November 2013. - depart Newbern Grand Marina.  Dennis moved his boat here a few months after we brought it up from Florida back in 2010.  He has decided to move it back to Florida, so I will be helping him again.

15 November 2013 - mile xxx, Oriental NC, motor stopped 1/2 mile from harbor.  Motor would not bleed,
had air leak in filter housing.  There was  no wind so took a tow to SailCraft boatyard.  Replaced filter housing and u/w next afternoon.  Had a variety of fuel related problems that we sorted out on the last trip.  At least 3 professional diesel mechanics have worked on it and never solved the problem.  As much as I sucks that it broke down again, I was glad to finally figure out what the problem was.

16 November 2013 - mile xxx, Seagate marina.  Short day, late start from oriental after working on the boat.

17 November 2013 - mile xxx, Mile Hammock Bay Camp LeJeune.  8 other boats anchored, read that there had been 31 other boats anchored there 2 weeks prior!

18 November 2013- mile 356, barefoot landing Marina, Myrtle Beach.  This is the marina across the ditch from the face dock at the shopping complex.... Same price but you get a shower and power hook ups... And can use the hot tub.

19 November 2013- mile 402, Georgetown Landing Marina, dinner with Kurt.  I will let him tell the story, his version is usually much more clever then anything I can make up anyway.  :)

20 November 2013- mile 456 Isle of palms marina, just north of Charleston.

21 November 2013 - mile 513, anchored off fenwick cut, few miles north of Beaufort.  Beautiful night, cool but not cold out and the sky is full of stars!

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Faith on November 21, 2013, 08:09:23 PM

19 November 2013- mile 402, Georgetown Landing Marina, dinner with Kurt.  I will let him tell the story, his version is usually much more clever then anything I can make up anyway.  :)

:D Got THAT right. And he had me going the other night for just a minute ;D

Wish I could have joined you two.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

22 November

Tied up at mile 555, Hilton Head marina on Skull Creek.  Made a brief stop at Beaufort municipal marina, lady there confirmed what I said in the title of this thread.  She said they have not seen this many boats in the 9 years she has worked there,.....

s/v Faith

Hidden Harbor Marina, mile ~ 670....  Looks like we are stopping here.  We are only 30 miles from Fl, but Dennis wants to go ahead and leave the boat here for the month while he finishes his preps for crossing to the Bahamas.   Funny thing is the daily dockage is $60, but the month is $300....  So I guess this is the end of the line for this trip on Fairwinds.....

Was a cold day out there today, not as cold as it will be when I get back up to NC and do it again!

s/v Faith

Well, I guess 12 days of freezing underway was not enough!  I am back up in NC, just departed New Bern a couple hours ago onboard Emerald Tide (same boat I took to the Virgin Islands last year).

It is chilly out, the storm winds died out last night.... Hoping to go outside from Beaufort.

Anyone else headed south?

s/v Faith

Headed out Beaufort inlet in a little bit.

Beautiful day even if a bit cold!

Good luck at the sales today all, I am sitting this Black Friday out.  ;)

s/v Faith

Had a nice passage, got a bit choppy Saturday morning.  Sailed in the inlet at cape Fear after realizing we needed a passport that had been left behind.   :P

Spent the last couple days on the ICW, stayed at Barefoot Landing again night before last...  For the second time in two weeks.   ;D

Last night was a wonderful night on the hook on the Waccmaw river just up from Georgetown...  FedEx is dropping off the passport there this morning and out the inlet we be go....

Saw many boats still heading south, talked to a "rambler" yesterday who agreed it was the biggest migration they had seen too.

Tim

QuoteSailed in the inlet at cape Fear after realizing we needed a passport that had been left behind.   

At least you had somebody that could send it to you. This last summer the First Mate and I were in Port Angeles, WA on our way to Canada when we realized we had forgot ours.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

20 miles out, offshore from Georgetown.  Motoring on a sea of glass.... Beautiful day, I could wish for wind to sail if I wanted something to complain about....  But I don't. :)

Hugging the coast right now, hope to work south and cross the stream... We will see.

s/v Faith

Sailed out of Georgetown, down the coast offshore almost to st. Mary's inlet and then set about crossing the Gulf Stream.  Made moraine cut in the Bahamas shortly after sunrise yesterday and cleared in at Spanish cay marina.

Now, I had seen lots of evidence of boats headed south.  I effectively made the run down the coast twice this fall, once aboard Fairwinds and once on Emerald Tide.  Both times seeing many more boats n the ICW, and talking to boats on the radio headed south...

.... Where are all the boats?

I thought I would see what I expected when I sailed past Allen's-Pensacola and saw 6 boats anchored there....  But apparently that is a fluke.  I just heard there are harly any at Marsh Harbour, and that Treasure Key is closing for the first time... Too few boats to stay open.  Now I have not been there to see it but the dock master here has worked here for a long time and said it is slower then last winter which was the slowest so far.

Maybe every one went to Georgetown?  Waiting in Florida for a wx window?  Maybe they all just went to Boot Key Harbor this year to save money?

Anyone have any idea?  What are you seeing and what are YOUR plans?

jotruk

Faith what is the cost to check into the islands and what does it include?
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Frank

Last year was very slow as well in the Abacos. Even by the end of January, Marsh Harbor still looked sparce with 8-10 boats anchored. A far cry from 05 or 06. You may be right with "Georgetown". Lots of folks seem to like the bussle of "adult daycare".
I'm hauling tomorrow here in the PNW. Home for Christmas and new years.....I'll be in the Abacos mid to late January. How long will you be there Craig?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Tough to say Frank, my schedule is at the mercy of others here... I am just the captain. :)  depending none of my guests I may just spend the season in the Abacos...  Time will tell.

Spent a night in Manjack anchorage, first time I ever stayed in the south anchorage,,.,   Walked over to the houses, not sure if I saw your place or not Frank?  No one was around to ask.  There were 7 boats in the anchorage though.

Green Turtle had half a dozen boats anchored outside, not used to seeing so many out there.  Did not stop in again this year but sailed on around the Whale and into HopeTown.... At night.  :o

No trouble getting a mooring, maybe 30-40 boat in the harbour.  Climbed up the lighthouse, man do I like that place.

Anchored off Matt Lowes Cay, no one around there at all.

Tonight the hook is down in Marsh Harbour, the wind is picking up... Supposed to blow pretty good for the next coupe of days.

Anyone else down here?  Frank, what are your plans?

Be great if you came down while a certain rum drinking captain was here, trying to twist his arm to get his paperwork in order (something about a parole officer I believe)....

Frank

Copied from Craig (Faith)

""Spent a night in Manjack anchorage, first time I ever stayed in the south anchorage,,.,   Walked over to the houses, not sure if I saw your place or not Frank?  ***Nope...I'm the only one in the NW anchorage (poor...typically has a swell) The 2 to the NE there were Bill and Leslie's. Cruiser friendly folks!! ***  No one was around to ask.  There were 7 boats in the anchorage though.

Green Turtle had half a dozen boats anchored outside, not used to seeing so many out there.  Did not stop in again this year but sailed on around the Whale and into HopeTown.... At night.  :o   ***grog for the night sail. "FireFly's" just opened a few years back and was already expanding last year. Nice spot if you have a cart.....the new marina is super nice with a swim up bar!! Remember...monday night bingo at Jacks!!. ***

No trouble getting a mooring, maybe 30-40 boat in the harbour.  Climbed up the lighthouse, man do I like that place.

Anchored off Matt Lowes Cay, no one around there at all.  

Tonight the hook is down in Marsh Harbour, the wind is picking up... Supposed to blow pretty good for the next coupe of days.

Anyone else down here?  Frank, what are your plans? ***Hopefully mid-late January to early april.**

Be great if you came down while a certain rum drinking captain was here, trying to twist his arm to get his paperwork in order (something about a parole officer I believe)....

***Is Capt K with you???? that would be toooooo funny!!!!!***
[/quote]

s/v Faith

Quite a few boats here in Georgetown, there were many at Staniel  Cay for the regatta (maybe 150 New Year's Eve).

The frequency of the fronts seems to be keeping more folks from venturing out, and the boats that come in seem to come in clusters this year.

It is less then 30 days until the Georgetown cruisers regatta, and I estimate there are over 200 boats here.

Frank

Green Turtle is way down, Marsh Harbor is sparce as well. Currently at HopeTown and there are an abundance of available balls. Seems the Abacos are getting quieter year by year.....

s/v Faith

On a mooring here at Spanish Wells.  There are 8 boats here on mornings, the most I have seen here.  I suspect most of them are heading south, I have spoken to a couple who are.  The big regatta in Georgetown starts week after next.. So I am sure there are a bunch headed down that way.

Night before last I was anchored off of Current Island, having just made it through Current Cut before sunset.  There were 2 boats anchored there when I came in and 4 more joined them before I left....

Lets see, before that I anchored behind Allen's Cay Exuma, saw 6 boats tucked inside the cut in the Cay.... I anchored outside on the bank side since I saw no reason to go in.

Before that I was moored at Wardrick Wells, every ball (at least in the North Feild) was booked.. As a matter of fact, I was glad I called in at 1200 since the boat that called in after me was told they were full.

Before that, Staniel Cay, slam packed up with boats... Maybe 10 in the basin behind Thunderball, another dozen scattered about and I would estimate 75 back over near Big Majors.

Before that....   Black Point, on Guana Cay.  Again... Slammed full.  Maybe 100 boats.  Of course Farmers Cay was having their regatta starting the next day (Friday) so that might explain the number.

Had been to New Bight, Cat Island before that.. Maybe 5-8 boats came and went while I was there (2 nights that time)....

Georgetown had around 250...

Before Georgetown was.. Lets see.  Oh, it was Cat Island (3-4)

And before that was calabash bay on Long Island.. Only boat there.

Salt Pond / Thomposn Bay Long Island.. Maybe 20 boats.

I georgetown before that I saw something like 150 (the population swells when the regatta approaches).

So... If anyone is still reading this lengthy post.  It sounds like many folks broke for the Exumas this year to avoid the worst of the cold fronts.  I think it was. Good strategy... I am headed back north to the Abacos, and hope I can get through this entire winter without having to use a blanket... I have had a coupe nights that have fallen slightly below 70 and I have had to cover up with a sheet.

Who is headed down now?

Who is planning to head down next year?

Frank

We left HopeTown this morning with about half the balls available (odd) and sailed to Guana. There are only 4 boats at the marina and things are real quiet in town. Yep...the Abacos are way down this year!

Kettlewell

Any theories on why the Abacos might be quieter this year while apparently the Exumas are busy?