News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Pixie Dust

Started by Pixie Dust, August 25, 2006, 09:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

We chatted on the phone just a couple nights ago. She's in Tallahassee, visiting family for a bit - I think for another week or so. Pixie the Boat is in Nassau at a private dock, and is OK despite the storm having popped up. For C, there's been some employment offered (legally) by an int'l company, so it looks like she's going to be able to stay down there. I'll tell her to get in touch with y'all. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for the update Capn K
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Bubba the Pirate

Sounds like 'Livin' the Dream' to me!! 

Thanks for the update.   

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

s/v Faith

Quote from: CapnK on November 03, 2007, 07:40:33 AM
We chatted on the phone just a couple nights ago. She's in Tallahassee, visiting family for a bit - I think for another week or so. Pixie the Boat is in Nassau at a private dock, and is OK despite the storm having popped up. For C, there's been some employment offered (legally) by an int'l company, so it looks like she's going to be able to stay down there. I'll tell her to get in touch with y'all. :)

Any updates?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Nothing recent, Craig - I'll send her an email, but I think she is 1) busy with the new jobs, and 2) net access isn't really easy.

She remarked to me that it seemed you get much better reception than she does. I told her about the USB antenna w/long cable...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

Hello to all!!!
I know I have been terrible about getting out an update, but all is well in the Exumas!!   I have been busy having new experiences, lots of fun and experiencing a new season in the Bahamas.  I had the opportunity to fly to the southern Bahamas and land in a sea plane at an old wreck on a reef in the Atlantic.  We anchored the sea plane off the wreck and then snorkeled it.  It was an old boiler ship and was still amazingly in tact after all these years of sitting on the bottom.  She was in about 20-30 foot of water.  We then flew over several islands and then landed out again where the surf was up so the guys could catch a little surfing action before returning home.  Landing and taking off in a seaplane in the Atlantic is sooo much fun!!!!!
My friend Jenny came for a visit and spent 10 days with me.  Croc took us down island for a helicopter ride and we went over to Cat Island for lunch at Hawksbill Resort and then landed on a few beaches to look for special shells.  We also flew her over some of the ruins of old settlements and plantations on the islands.  It was so much fun sharing the beauty of the Exumas with her.
I went on a salvage/recovery of a 51'  Beneteau that ended up on a reef off Conception Cay last week.  The 3 folks on the boat were rescued off in the middle of the night with a USCG helicopter.  I cannot believe the boat survived, but we were able to rescue her from the reef without any holes through her hull and tow her back the 90 NM to Sampson Cay so she can be reunited with a very happy owner.  All she is going to need is a new rudder.  That was a really neat experience although it was exhausting and challenging to the crew.
I continue to love the islands and the experiences.  I went with 2 boats on a spear fishing and lobstering trip over to Green Cay. (close to Andros) That evening and the next morning, the guys went Goat hunting.  It was so funny to see these guys spear fishing like crazy all day in wet suits at different reefs along the way, then they changed into camouflage jackets, hats and shorts and head onto the island with rifles in hand to goat hunt.  The Bahamians love goat meat and this particular Cay is overrun with goats.  The goats have eaten off all the lower foliage and some are starting to starve, so they encourage hunting to reduce the population on the Cay.
SOOO since the last update, I have now eaten Lion Fish, which have poisonous spines to touch and are not indigenous to the Bahamas.  They have been introduced here from the S. Pacific and are growing in prolific numbers with no predators to control the population.  The meat however, is not poisonous and it was very good.  White, flaky and mild in taste.  We did not fall onto the deck drooling or with seizures, so I can vouch that they are safe to eat.  I have also eaten Barbecued goat which was also delicious.  (Yes, the goat hunt was successful)  It seemed funny to me to see fish being cleaned one minute on the boat and then a goat strung up getting cleaned the next.
I am learning to run a twin screw boat which I am enjoying and also outboards that go 35 knots as compared with my little 5 knot sailboat.  Good learning experiences and going fast is not all bad.
I arrived in Tallahassee Friday night about 8:00 to spend the holidays with my family and will return to the Bahamas on Sat the 29th just in time for a pirate party that night at Staniel Cay Yacht Club.  Apparently New Years in the Exumas is full of fun during NY week.  They have Regatta races for the kids, cruisers and races on the Bahamian sloops for anyone that wants to experience the ride.  I had the opportunity to do that in the Abacos and it is great fun!!!  I am looking forward to the upcoming events in the New Year.   It is wonderful to be home for the holidays and to get another chance to hug and love on the grand-babies and my family.
The beauty of the islands continue to capture my heart and lately a family of Spotted Eagle rays have been coming into the harbor where Pixie is.  They swim by casually in the mornings and evenings and occasionally excite anyone watching with an out of water flight and huge splashdown.  So much to see and enjoy.  Each island has its own heartbeat and pulse.  I continue to meet amazing and interesting people that just make me realize how lucky I am to have this wonderful experience and to share the history and experiences of others. 
I need to scoot and do the Americanized programmed process of the holiday happenings.
I hope this quick rapid update finds all happy, healthy and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday.
Much Love and friendship,

- Connie
Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Pixie Dust

I am doing a little work over here which is great.  I am learning how to operate a twin screw.  I still have a long way to go on that, but it sure is easy in open seas.  We saved a 51' Beneteau that ended up on a very nasty reef about 90 miles SE of here.  They lost their rudder, but this group of guys got her off without even a hole in her hull.  They were amazing.  I kept them all very well fed and took my regular watches.  I am learning to read radar, operate water makers and generators.  All very new to me since I live on a little 27 footer.  :)  All good experience.  I also was home schooling a little girl on a boat from the states for a while, but they have now headed home.  Home schooling is not an easy task.  As an ex school teacher, I think it is easier to teach a class of 30 than it is to teach 1.   It is funny though, the kids go to school in a dinghy, have class on a boat, lunch on the beaches, go for swims on their breaks and have no idea how good they have it.  :)
I have decided that when my cruising permit expires in April, that I am going to renew it for another year.  I absolutely love living on my little boat and am digging the island time.  It is amazing how busy you stay!! I just repaired my auto pilot.  It only took me about 6 wks to get the belts over here to the islands for the repair, but no problem mon.  :) 
I will be rebuilding my seawater pump in the next couple of weeks.  I have the parts for that. 
I was able to go home for my youngest sons post wedding celebration in Nov and back again for a quick 1 week visit over Christmas.  I absorbed as many hugs and kisses from my grandsons as I could get. They were probably glad to escape from Mimi.  :)   I have no plans to return stateside anytime in the next several months.  One walk into Walmart makes you want to fly back to the Bahamas as fast as you can go!! :)  I love the island life and have no regrets about dropping those dock lines and heading out.  If you are worried about single-handing, don't be.  If I can do it, anyone can do it.  There are so many wonderful people out here, but you have to step out of your comfort zone and allow yourself the opportunity to meet them.   Lately, I have been too busy to journal during the day and too tired to do it in the evening.  :))   I am having the time of my life!!
Here is to blue skies, aquamarine water, seeing your anchor on the bottom and lots of rum on board.  (glad I hit the Bahamas before Craig and Frank.. I might not have found any grogg left ;))   I also shot the guys an email today to check on their location. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Frank

What struck me on Pixies post was 'leaving you comfort zone'....she gave up her job and home of many years....yet she is VERY happy.Seems the old saying is true..."jump, and the universe will provide the net"  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

LauraG

Aw Frank. I wanna jump so bad I can taste it. It's difficult to read about everyone being out there while I'm here trying to put a few more boat bucks in the bank. Soon....soon.....

AdriftAtSea

Good to hear from you Connie. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Zen

WONDERFUL luv, fair winds!  ;D

Bubba the Pirate

I'm still jealous!   But I'm still working on my plan.    Hope to be out there next year. 

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CapnK

Spoke with Conne/"Pixie" on the phone today, she's in the States for a quick unplanned family visit. All is well with her, she's lovin' the life still, and her job with the salvage operation in the Bahamas is working out well. Her 'net access there is severely limited and slow.

She said to tell everyone "Hello!".

:)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

CapK-

Tell her we all said Hi. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Zen

CapnK

Zen is smitten. ;)

Too bad for Connie that you met Lady Zen first. ;D

(Cool graphic!)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Anyone with an up-date on Connie?

CapnK

Got an e a week or so ago - she's doing good! Was away from Pixie for 3 weeks - 1 of those for a big regatta, 2 for $alvage work. :)

One of her sons and his wife are visiting this week, so she was really looking forward to showing them around, and anticipated enjoying their visit.
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

I'm sure she will both enjoy their visit and being 'tour guide' to her new life as well. GOOD for her !!

driftingnowhere

Don't leave me hanging!?!  WHat happened???  No updates???