Main Menu

Pixie Dust

Started by Pixie Dust, August 25, 2006, 09:34:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Sounds good Connie... I hope you are going to be posting some pix soon... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Pixie Dust

I am loving this!!  I thought it would take me about 3 months to decompress from the world of work and fast pace, but I think I am an accelerated student.   This was the best decision I have ever, ever made in my life. After recovering my dropped claw anchor (dumb story, but it is back on the boat)  tee hee,  I had a wonderful sail along the beach from Cortez to Venice.  East winds, set the sails and read.  AHHH yes, 6 hrs, no engine and beautiful scenery.  I grounded coming into a little anchorage area, no biggy, just used the powerboaters who do not believe in no wake zones to help bounce me off.   Kurt has taught me how to chart via the keel braille method.  LOL Finally came into this little free dock at Higel Park.  I walked about 5 miles to downtown Venice yesterday, had lunch, ice cream and happened upon a fee outdoor symphony in the park.  On the way back, went down to the beach, then laid in my hammock at the boat and read.
One older gentleman that had stopped by my boat the evening before to chat, came back by to tell me that I had inspired him to get on his sailboat and go.  He has been  retired for several yrs but did not want to go alone.  I gave him a good pep talk and apparently it made sense to him as he went home to think about it.  He came back by to take a picture of the boat and its Capt that inspired him to go.  He promised to see me in the Exumas in about 3 months.  LOL
Some exchange students visiting here from Venezuela and Argentina came in with the gentleman they are staying with.  They had burgers, corn and baked beans, but no grills at the park to cook them on, so I played short order cook last night and fixed them their dinner.  Smiles were on every face.  :)  Had to show a little good ole USA friendliness. 
Leaving this am and heading to Boca Grande, Caya Costa park for a couple of days. 
Oh yeah- remember Lairds from Sailfar?   He came into Cortez while I was there and I got to meet him and his buddy Dale.  Heck of a nice guy! He is headed back to Panama City.
Life is good folks.  Time to drop the lines and move on.  :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Glad to hear it's going well.  Where to next? 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

skylark

Quote from: Pixie Dust on March 25, 2007, 09:10:19 AM
I am loving this!!  I thought it would take me about 3 months to decompress from the world of work and fast pace, but I think I am an accelerated student.   This was the best decision I have ever, ever made in my life. After recovering my dropped claw anchor (dumb story, but it is back on the boat)  tee hee,  I had a wonderful sail along the beach from Cortez to Venice.  East winds, set the sails and read.  AHHH yes, 6 hrs, no engine and beautiful scenery.  I grounded coming into a little anchorage area, no biggy, just used the powerboaters who do not believe in no wake zones to help bounce me off.   Kurt has taught me how to chart via the keel braille method.  LOL Finally came into this little free dock at Higel Park.  I walked about 5 miles to downtown Venice yesterday, had lunch, ice cream and happened upon a fee outdoor symphony in the park.  On the way back, went down to the beach, then laid in my hammock at the boat and read.
One older gentleman that had stopped by my boat the evening before to chat, came back by to tell me that I had inspired him to get on his sailboat and go.  He has been  retired for several yrs but did not want to go alone.  I gave him a good pep talk and apparently it made sense to him as he went home to think about it.  He came back by to take a picture of the boat and its Capt that inspired him to go.  He promised to see me in the Exumas in about 3 months.  LOL
Some exchange students visiting here from Venezuela and Argentina came in with the gentleman they are staying with.  They had burgers, corn and baked beans, but no grills at the park to cook them on, so I played short order cook last night and fixed them their dinner.  Smiles were on every face.  :)  Had to show a little good ole USA friendliness. 
Leaving this am and heading to Boca Grande, Caya Costa park for a couple of days. 
Oh yeah- remember Lairds from Sailfar?   He came into Cortez while I was there and I got to meet him and his buddy Dale.  Heck of a nice guy! He is headed back to Panama City.
Life is good folks.  Time to drop the lines and move on.  :)

This is the most awesome post ever posted on teh intarweb. 

Have a good one Pixie Dust!

grog to yah.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

Connie is sweating it.

Her first big crossing. She is @ Long Key (IIRC), approx 95 miles from Bimini. She's been cruising along with a couple on a 38'er. They are leaving @ 2AM for Bimini (where they have cleared before), and Connie (kind of) wants to cross with them, & they have encouraged her to do so. They are planning on beating the coming front, arriving, with the help of a good Gulf Stream boost, sometime tomorrow evening. Winds ahead of the front will be SE and light tomorrow, eventually clocking around more from the South, then to the SW and building to perhaps 20-25, just ahead of the frontal weather.

Yet - 95 miles in a 27' boat - ahead of a serious low pressure system/cold front. I'm thinking that she could expect 4-4.5 kts, but there is the boost from the Stream she'll be getting, at least up around the corner - that could add 2-3 kts/hr. So what would seem to be a 24 hour crossing might be considerably shorter. The addditional 6 or so hours she would get crossing only 65 miles be leaving from further up the coast just might be somewhat negated.

The forecast for the area of Miami up and over to West End keeps things pretty calm, much calmer than up north here. Fer example, the West End forecast:

QuoteSaturday
Scattered Clouds. High: 80° F. / 27° C. Wind ESE 11 mph. / 18 km/h.
   Saturday Night
Chance of Rain. Scattered Clouds. Low: 77° F. / 25° C. Wind SSE 11 mph. / 18 km/h. Chance of precipitation 20%.
   Sunday
Scattered Clouds. High: 79° F. / 26° C. Wind South 15 mph. / 25 km/h.
   Sunday Night
Chance of Rain. Partly Cloudy. Low: 68° F. / 20° C. Wind West 13 mph. / 21 km/h. Chance of precipitation 30%.
   Monday
Clear. High: 71° F. / 22° C. Wind NNW 11 mph. / 18 km/h.

and for Ft Lauderdale:

QuoteRest of Tonight
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 70s inland to the mid 70s near the coast. East winds 5 to 10 mph.
[partlysunny]    
Saturday
Partly sunny. Slight chance of showers. Highs in the upper 80s inland to the mid 80s near the coast. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 10 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
[nt_partlycloudy]    
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 70s inland to the mid 70s near the coast. South winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 20 percent.
[rain]    
Sunday
Breezy. Mostly cloudy. Showers likely and chance of thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s. Southwest winds 15 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent.
» ZIP Code Detail
[nt_partlycloudy]    
Sunday Night
Breezy. Partly cloudy. Much cooler. Lows in the mid 50s inland to around 60 near the coast. West winds 15 to 20 mph becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph after midnight.

She's gonna call me on the cell at 2AM, I'll give her the latest weather, and some input.

Have anything you'd care to contribute, above and beyond good wishes perhaps?

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

The NOAA Marine Forecast does not look QUITE as 'calm' for Saturday and Saturday night as the one you posted, but not too bad either.  At least there is some sea state info there.

The input I can offer you (and she) have already thought of; added only for emphasis.

If she has ANY doubt about making this crossing with this particular weather window - don't do it.  Certainly don't do it because of wanting to sail in company of another boat. 

Trust her instincts and all that.  She "knows" if it feels right from where she is.  Remember Frank's crossing a couple of months ago: his instincts were right on the money, and the forecasts (overly general for too large an area) did not predict what he experienced.

Not trying to be negative - just the opposite.  I just got a little "worried" when I read the motivation seemed to be sailing with the other couple.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I have to agree with Capn Smollett.

She should definitely trust her instincts and not go if she has any doubts whatsover.  Sailing to a schedule, or to keep company with a larger boat is not a good idea.

And she should remember the old adage about "reefing when you first think of it."
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

skylark

Good sailing weather.  No north winds to buck the stream.  If it smells right, GO!

Did she make the jump?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CapnK

She wound up not going.

The other boat captain and crew decided not to try and race the cold front, so that made it easier for her. I was mostly asleep when she called :) but I remember her saying that they would move up closer to Lauderdale, find a good spot to anchor till the front pushes thru, and then go across afterwards.

I'll pass along the messages and etc when/if I hear from her again - I believe she has cancelled cell service in anticipation of being where there ain't none... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

good enough... trying to beat a weather system gets pretty dicey... why do it if you don't have to.   Good for Connie... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

This scenario brings up another whole topic...possibly worthy of a seperate thread. While sipping 'sundowners' last winter on a morgan 38, the 5 of us got to discussing cruising in tandem.This topic came up on other occasions as well. There IS fun to be had and an element of saftey while cruising in a group, but I am of the thought "my intention is to head to ?? or that erea, when you get there,watch for me and try a call on cruisers net" This way you are free to leave as you please,sail as you please ,anchor where you please etc. All too often I see people anchoring when they wanted to keep sailing,sailing when they want to anchor and then it continues ashore......going to see a 'potter' when ya just want to sit and have a beer etc. As I've posted before..the people you meet are THEE best thing about cruising ....but I am very protective of my time and decisions made.If things work out for others thats GREAT....BUT it will remain MY TIME and DECISIONS on my vessel. Some may think that is selfish but I think others who have been  'out there' will agree.      Bottom line ..Connie...make your OWN calls, go by your own 'gut' ...and if it happens another boat is going the same dirrection...GREAT.  PS..a 95knm sail northward in the Gulfstream IS attainable in daylight hours.On a windy reach 2 yrs ago with Revival,the gps showed steady 10's 'sog' and a max of 11.4.  Had a fast sail from Bimini to Lake Worth Inlet. Gotta love the 4-4.5 knot push ;-)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Can't agree more. One time  I got into a tandem cruising setup- never again. We felt like we were obligated to go where THEY wanted to go. Mostly we wanted the same place, but the times weren't the same. After a month, we separated. The other times we cruised with other boats, it was on a very loose- "see ya there when we get there, or if not, then the next anchorage."

Run on your OWN schedules- you'll have a much better cruise.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pixie Dust

Hi Everyone!! 
I am back in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon on a Mooring ball waiting out this nasty front.  We just got the SW winds portion of it and are expecting the winds to clock to the N NW over the next bit with gale force warnings.  Winds were around 30-43 and a lot of mooring ball dancing was going on.   The worst of it went south of us greatfully.  Not sure what to expect with this next deal coming in.  Beats the heck out of the other night when I was anchored here in Boot Key and an unexpected heavy blow came through around 2:30 in the morning.  It was all about bumper boats at that time.  By 10 the next morning, I had attached myself to a mooring ball.    LOL  Long night that night.
Several things about the crossing etc.   The couple I am with are from Panama City too and they are wonderful!!  We did a tandem crossing on the Gulf of Mexico, then parted ways in Tampa.  I just caught back up with them here.   All the pressure regarding the crossing was me putting it on myself unneccesarily.  We thought we could beat the front and probably could have...probably being the operative word.  We took off Thurs afternoon and went to Long Key at Channel 5.  Got in there at 6pm, dropped the hook, was going to nap and take off at 2:00 am for the 95 mile bouy to bouy run to Bimini.   I was not having good vibes at all.... extremely anxious.   This latest front was coming in and was supposed to get here on Sun afternoon, heavy storms possible in front with nasty winds in the forcast including winds clocking North.   The local winds were already blowing higher than forcasted which would have also made for a bumpy crossing.  I kept thinking that if my engine went out or any other issues developed that would slow me down, then I am dealing with an approaching nasty front with no room to play.  Lots of soul searching went on with me and needless to say, I was not able to nap.  I just decided I was not mentally ready to make this crossing for several reasons.  1.  Weather was not optimal and weather is crucial with regards to the Gulf Stream.  2.  I am a 27' boat with a small diesel, not like you can outrun anything.  3. 95 miles is a long long trip single handing, esp if conditions deteriorate, things break or any other variable.   I had also been unable to sleep and my gut was yelling at me to Not Go Now.  4.  I am not on any schedule, so why try to beat a weather window?   Too many things that just did not feel right.   My friends are great and were not the type to put pressure on anyone.  "I" wanted to cross with them because they have tons of experience and have done this trip many times. 
Around 1230 I lay in my bunk listening to the 17 knot blow and decided, the only reason I am crossing now is because I want to cross with them.  My gut tells me this is not the time for me.  I decided to not go now and to wait for a better weather window and a time when "I" feel excited about it.  That is when I  finally fell asleep.  At 1:45.  I called them and relayed my decision and they said they had been talking and decided not to push it either.   Sweet!!  I slept great the rest of the night.   The next morning, they were coming back to Boot Key.  I know this area is a great place to ride out fronts and I have made numerous friends here, so what better place to spend a week?  I had a great sail back... but as I was sailing back, my brand new metal radar reflector,  chaffed through the line and fell to the deck. COOL, I was able to snatch it and put it below before it went overboard, then, I had just dropped the main to prepare to come in Sisters Creek when the adjustment line for the topping line snapped and the boom dropped.  COOL the boom was held by my lazy jacks and did not fall on top of my new bimini, but was banging into the side of it.   Grabbed the halyard and pulled it up, got it secured and then headed in the channel...very shallow channel on low tide.  Right as I came in to the markers, my depth sounder went blank.  (*&^  It remained blank until I was turning into Boot Key.  I was able to snag the very, very last mooring ball.  So like railroad tracks, there is good and bad in everything.    These little things, could have been a whole lot worse. 
I realized that I have always had good gut instincts and this was not a time to second guess them.  I so appreciate your input and Capt K.. Thank you for the weather updates and being a good sounding board. 
My cell phone will remain on, however I had stopped my phone as a modem for internet access that afternoon and was unable to look at radar.  I have since reinstated my internet access until I make the crossing. 
I am still having a great time!!  All is good.  I felt very good about the decision not to go.  Bottom line, I am on the water, cruising and loving life.   I am in a safe harbor with good friends, lots of rum and plenty to eat.  What more could a Pixie want? 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Pixie Dust

Funny little thing.  I called on the handheld VHF to snag the mooring ball and he told me he was having difficulty hearing me on the radio.  He asked for my boat name.   When I went into pay, he asked me the name of my boat x2 and had a puzzled look on his face.  I looked up on their board and they had written "Pigs Feet Dust" as the name of my boat.    ;D :D :)
My new mooring ball friends have gotten quite a kick out of that and now at times will hail me as Pigs Feet Dust on the radio.   I think I will have a T shirt made... Front will be sunshine and a smooth anchorage with Pixie Dust,   back will be nasty weather with a dragging boat, mud on the deck from hauling the anchor and resetting it and it will be titled Pigs Feet Dust. 
The really funny thing is, I had clay all over the bow of my boat from the bumper boat night when I went into the office.   Pixie truly looked like a Pig Pen that morning.   :D
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Quote from: Pixie Dust on April 15, 2007, 07:50:02 PM
Funny little thing.  I called on the handheld VHF to snag the mooring ball and he told me he was having difficulty hearing me on the radio.  He asked for my boat name.   When I went into pay, he asked me the name of my boat x2 and had a puzzled look on his face.  I looked up on their board and they had written "Pigs Feet Dust" as the name of my boat.    ;D :D :)
My new mooring ball friends have gotten quite a kick out of that and now at times will hail me as Pigs Feet Dust on the radio.   I think I will have a T shirt made... Front will be sunshine and a smooth anchorage with Pixie Dust,   back will be nasty weather with a dragging boat, mud on the deck from hauling the anchor and resetting it and it will be titled Pigs Feet Dust. 
The really funny thing is, I had clay all over the bow of my boat from the bumper boat night when I went into the office.   Pixie truly looked like a Pig Pen that morning.   :D

That's priceless.... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

Glad you are safe,snug and having fun. Keep following your 'gut'...it will seldom let you down. And keep having fun !!   Very happy for ya  ....dirty boat and all ;-)

Frank

How goes the adventure Connie??  "are ya there yet?" ....I see blue/green water in your future ;-)     

Pixie Dust

Ahoy everyone.  Pixie is STILL in Boot Key Harbor Marathon waiting on the North winds to clock somewhere else.  They are blowing 15-20 with higher gusts.  Lots of boats waiting to head to the Bahamas, so I figure the flotilla will be quit large.  Maybe Wed or Thurs. we can get out of here. 

I took the bus into Key West on Friday.  $3.00 one way, 1 hr ride and gorgeous scenery. Had a great day hanging out down there.   Awesome Worst Marine down there.  Lots of goods.  I bought a Weather Fax kit to hook into the SSB receiver and be able to obtain on the forecast for 24-48 hrs on the Laptop.  Normal price is 235, now 125.  I could not pass it up and feel like it will be a valuable gadget in keeping abreast of the weather, esp. since I will be there during the Hurricane Season. 
I have ran new topping lift line since mine broke coming in the other day, placed pulleys on my eyepads on the spreaders to I can haul the radar reflector up easily and not chaff the lines.  Solar panels are doing great keeping the Engel running and the batteries charged.  Have still not had to run the  diesal to charge batteries.  I took the Dinghy to Sisters Creek, right at Sombrero Beach.  Beautiful location.  I worked 3 hrs scrapping barnacles and grass off the bottom of my new dinghy.  I think I can honestly say, it is broken in and does not look new anymore.   4 Stroke Tohatsu is running great, however 3.5 has a tough time getting the dink onto a plane.   If I knew how easy the hoist and motor sling made getting it on and off, I would have purchased a 5 hp.     Boot Key is notorious for the fast bottom growth in here, so I think I will start pulling the dink out of the water at night.
Found time to hang out in the hammock yesterday, read and watch the manatees play.  One swam right beside of my boat.   Humidity down here is low, cool nights and great breeze during the day.  Awesome location to be waiting on the next weather window. 
Pixie is still all smiles and loving the decision to do this.   YES SIR REE!!!! 
Grog for the Sailfar folks!!!!

Zen-  I loved the picts!!!!!  Craig, I loved the fish on the keel.   Way too KEWL 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Pixie Dust

WOOWOOO WOO , I am cutting loose from the mooring ball early in the morning, heading up to Rodriguez Key which will be about a 9 hr day, then anchoring for the night for an early start the next morning to the Bahamas. Should be in Bimini by Sat. evening.   There will be 3 boats of us.  I am sailing with Naked Lady and Ecstasea.  We are all excited and ready for an early start.  Should be great weather for the crossing.
Will let you know how it goes when I have internet connection again. 
Fair Winds to all my sailfar buds. 
I am also setting up a blog on Google and will post the site later when I get to the other side. 
I am so excited.   :) :D ;D :o ;D :D :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

I hope you have a safe and fast passage... and fair winds..

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran