Rode Orm; a Laurin 32 ketch

Started by maxiSwede, April 22, 2007, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxiSwede

here is a better pic of her at her winter mooring. Today I moved her to the 'summer' mooring.

(can´t get it in here... it is in my gallery anyway)

Here is the link to my blog:

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-w3StyOs8eqEUQBf73a3j1RS6TVw-?cq=1

which lets you follow my litle adventure of circumnavigating the Baltic Sea this summer. A midsummer party in the Midnight Sun at 67 degress North is the only fixed point in the schedule this far. The take-off is planned to the beginning of June.[/img]
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

sailor

Congratulations.
Did you named your daughters Oddny and Ludmilla by any chance? ;)

maxiSwede

Quote from: sailor on April 25, 2007, 03:48:46 PM
Congratulations.
Did you named your daughters Oddny and Ludmilla by any chance? ;)

Uhrmm, Now what's that supposed to mean??   ??? ??? ??? ???
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

Believe it is a reference to the name of the boat Rode Orm, who was a literary viking... IIRC. 

Frans Bengtson, Rode Orm - a magnificent Viking adventure and historically correct.

I've never read the book, so I could be wrong... but I'm guessing that it is related.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

maxiSwede

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on April 26, 2007, 06:06:06 AM
Believe it is a reference to the name of the boat Rode Orm, who was a literary viking... IIRC. 

Frans Bengtson, Rode Orm - a magnificent Viking adventure and historically correct.

I've never read the book, so I could be wrong... but I'm guessing that it is related.

Hm, yes you´re probably right. My excuses. This makes me aware of the fact that I perhaps should inform you some more on this issue.

My boat, Rode Orm, is definetely named after the red-bearded viking Orm, in Frans G Bengtsson's novel. I am 'innocent' of that however, the boat was named by the PO. No objections from my side though, I think she is  worthy any comparison with her famous 'ancestor'.

Frans Bengtsson was a professor at the University of Lund, Sweden; and did not write that much novels or fiction at all. But with his two novels about Orm he really had an instant hit. Great book, and as historically correct as it could be (the facts of the time is not that abundant)

Even though I read it in my early teens, I can warmly recommend it to everyone. It´s about adventures, and gives an interesting insight to a time in history that was unsettled to say the least.

Did you know that 'danish' vikings once held almost all of England? They weren´t stopped until they reached the river Thames...  that is very close to London. 

Back to my trip in the Baltic Sea this summer. I will not follow the viking route through the rivers in Russia. I will go north, all the way to the Botnia(?)  Bottenviken in swedish.  Basically north through swedish waters and then south in finnish waters. Depending on time and wind, we will probably stop by in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania on the way south too.  I doubt it that we will do the long bay to S:t Petersburg, but who knows. Must admit that Russia doesn´t appeal to me yet, even though it´s been some years since the Soviet days.

Sorry, this was perhaps too longish.  8)
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

Hi all. I have been on the water now for a couple of weeks, and looove it. My woman companion is with me for two weeks now, and that´s making life even nicer.

Now, at last I have found internet conection and updated the blog.

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-w3StyOs8eqEUQBf73a3j1RS6TVw-;_ylt=ArSTJ2n.4mmxm9MYW6fjktSsAOJ3?cq=1
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

skylark

Great blog, thanks for writing it!
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

maxiSwede

Thank you Skylark, that gives me motivation to update it. I don´t see much wifis around where I am sailing. But every now and then I´ll be back.

Fair winds// magnus
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

New postings on my blog. Hard to get internet access in this part of the world. I am truly enjoying the cruise and my life right now, though.

Fair winds, and I hope you all are on the water
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

maxiSwede

I am in port right now, enjoying a free(!) wifi connection. True luxury,and I am  like a dried out sponge back into the  water trying to catch up on news and where all friends are and so forth.

New entrys on the blog again, together with more pictures

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm

I have made a decision today, too. Since 3+ months of cruising in beautiful surrundings, even though a bit on the chilly side, I have not yet got tired of it. Nor have I even for a minute wanted to be at home working instead.

Hence, the conclusion made is as follows: I will finish this cruise, I have got threee more weeks to get back home. Then I will use the upcoming winter season to sell my house, my cars and all other belngings on shore. In the spring I will haul out the boat, give her a major exterior refit and then head out for an open-ended cruise. Planned take-off mid June next year.  Yup.
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CharlieJ

Works for me ;D

I have a 20 footer to finish for a customer, another 25 waiting for a new interior and then we are gonna take a prolonged cruise ourselves. We won't be selling the house though- Laura's son will be living here while we are gone, paying the utilities and doing the upkeep as rent. Since the house is paid for as are all the vehicles, it makes little sese to part with it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

s/v Faith

Thanks for taking us all along.  ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

maxiSwede

Sadly, four months of cruising is over now. I will return to the so called 'normal life' for the winter season at least. The last 110 miles was a terrific broad reach that saw Röde Orm make 7-7,5 knots under storm jib only.
A worthy Finale of the cruise. If you would like to read more about it, check ut my blog again.

Cheers to all of you.
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

Thanks for sharing your voyages with us. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

CapnK

Magnus -

That was a great read! Awesome pictures, too! Too bad it's over - but - time to plan Trip #2! :)

I particularly liked the 'sleigh ride' post and picture. You (and the boat!) seemed to do very well for the wind strengths you encountered.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

maxiSwede

Thank you so much for that comment Cap'nK!  ;D Glad you liked it. I am working on part two right now.
All of a sudden the upcoming winter months seems like a short time, considering all things I need to get done.

I am also playing with the thought of aborting the original idea to go the southern tade wind route over the Atlantic and instead follow the old viking route via Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Labrador, Nova Scotia and then down the  east coast of the US. A draw back is of course that I would neeed to spend another winter at high latitudes. In a way I figure that 50 winters up here is enough.
On the other hand, my vessel is named Röde Orm, so I may have to live up to it...  ;)
s/v  Nanna
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Captain Smollett

To me that sounds like a great route...lots of rich history along that path.  Plus you'll cruise right by many of us on your way south.   ;D

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain