Grogs & Lashes; all you ever wanted to know but were too afraid to ask.

Started by Glissando, December 19, 2005, 02:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glissando

OK, so I know what "karma" is, but what does it mean next to my name when I post?

Captain Smollett

It tells how "good" you are/have been.  On moderated forums, karma can be used to score posts/users.  For example, if someone flames or trolls on a regular basis, their karma will be low.  Other users can then often filter posts only for users with high karma.

You'd think you would not ever need tricks like that on boards with adults, but oh well.

Most new users start with a neutral karma; if the board is moderated, you earn it by posting good content.  We are not moderating individual posts, so I don't think it really means a whole lot.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Good question, Tim. It earned you some karma from me. :D

I agree with Cpt Smollett, that it is a way for others to let you know that they liked what you've posted, a wee bit of encouragement for your contributions. As far as I know, that is all that it is.

One thing I have to ask - are "normal" users able to give karma to others? I wonder if, as "Admin", I see the same interface as a "normal" user. I'll have to log into the test account and check that out...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Don't know about 'normal'  ;) but FWIW, I can add/subtract from karma also.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Triton218

I can add/subtract karma as well. It gives me the option to applaud the poster or smite him/her.

What a temptation! The ability to smite at at will. Probably bad karma though.
- Jason King
Mojito, Pearson Triton #218
New Orleans, LA

www.triton218.com

djn

I have really enjoyed this group of sailors and have never burned anyone online...I do not believe in doing that....ever.   So why do I have -2 online Karma?  Thanks in advance for your help.

s/v Faith

djn

Hi Faith, thanks, it is a mistary(sp).  After thinking about it, it is most likely because of the story I posted in the story forum.  I is pretty sick but is was an assignment from the Steven King and has been nominated for two seperate compitition awards.....oh well. On-ward and up-ward.  Cheers.

CapnK

Hey - I've gotten some neg karmas too, djn - no telling who gave it or why, but don't let it bother you or keep you away - at least, it hasn't stopped me... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

hearsejr

captedteach

watch out Bill with that braggin - I may give you -3 so you'll be even  ;D   Speaking of Karma does anyone watch  My Name is Earl  - If not you might want to as it is funny as heck
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Captain Smollett

Quote from: captedteach on January 19, 2006, 09:29:14 AM
Speaking of Karma does anyone watch  My Name is Earl  - If not you might want to as it is funny as heck

Yes, I like that show, and am very glad it has been moved to Thursday (my wife likes House, so I did not get to watch it unless House was not on or was a rerun).

One thing that gives it an extra dimension for me is that he (Earl) is the voice of Syndrome in The Incredibles.  It's hilarious watching My Name is Earl thinking about him flying around wanting to be a super-hero. ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

hearsejr

poor Earl lol. I know some folks who still act like the old Earl.  really cool show.
oohh , not bragging about the Karma thing. just suprised to see I had any karma. lol.
Bill

Pixie Dust

Quote from: djn on January 15, 2006, 01:34:46 PM
Hi Faith, thanks, it is a mistary(sp).  After thinking about it, it is most likely because of the story I posted in the story forum.  I is pretty sick but is was an assignment from the Steven King and has been nominated for two seperate compitition awards.....oh well. On-ward and up-ward.  Cheers.

Stick with the good sailing stuff and I am sure it will be UPWARDS and ONWARDS!!  You have a lot of good sailing info to offer.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  :)   Enjoy this great website for all the positives it has to offer.    We all have + and - in our lives.   :))  Balance is the key. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Coastal Cruiser

Where is the karma button? Let me share in the fun and spread it around. Seems someone passed that stuff to me, too.

s/v Faith

Under the 'user name' there are the words 'Aplaud' and 'smite'.  Applaud adds Karma, Smite causes your computer to burst into flames....  ;D

Coastal Cruiser

I can deal with rejection and I can deal with life's issues, but negative Karma? Gee, only one part of our present system finds a person guilty, without a hearing. So what did I go wrong? Was it talking about wooden boats, or fueling the flames with Charlie J and his coffee pot heist from his gallery?  :(

Adam

quit complaining, or you'll get another one!!! LOL

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Coastal Cruiser

. :)

hearsejr

lol...you in too wooden boats huh?....lol
  ;D not a thing wrong with wooden boats as long as you got a match and a insurance policy ...wait a minute, can get an insurance policy with a wooden boat...hehehehehehe.
gawd I miss my old shrimp trawler. nothing like being able to walk in a bar and looking a girl right in the eye and saying ... "wanna go out back the crab house and see my woody?" lol