News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Alberg 30 "Gaelic Sea"

Started by Captain Smollett, July 18, 2007, 11:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

sure looks a lot better.Bet ya pick up a knot or more to windward without the growth down there. Fishing off your deck won't be as good tho  :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 01, 2008, 03:49:52 PM
Looking good mi amigo. I see you did away with the boot topping ;D Good move. As I told you, I'll be doing the same next we haul out, which appears to be this month.

boot topping ?
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

See the red line around the hull just above the bottom paint in the first pic? Note it isn't there anymore in the final shot.

I told him lots of cruising people were just painting bottom paint up to the top of that. Prevents slime, etc from forming right at the waterline. Well, maybe not "prevents" but helps a lot.

On Tehani it's dark blue, but next we haul it's gonna be black bottom paint instead. Under the counter has a tendency to get green as it is.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

OK so you just meant eliminating the bootstripe, I thought perhaps that is what you meant but couldn't find a reference, probably discussed in chat  :)

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

;D

Actually discussed over the telephone

;D ;D

see ya later tonight?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Yeh gonna try to be there, hopefully all the southern folk will be too :)

W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Looks good john.

The old paint was actually not that bad considering it's age.  Bet you will sleep better with the new plumbing!

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

She swims!!

Got her splashed today and FINALLY leaktight below the waterline - Second time was the charm...deck leaks are another story for another day.   ;)

It COULD just be my imagination, or wishful thinking, but she sure seems to handle better backing under power than before.  I've dreaded putting that boat in reverse, but now she seems a LITTLE more docile.  Similarly, she seems a bit easier to handle at very slow speeds going forward (ie, approaching dock/mooring/etc).

Can't say enough good stuff for the yard guys and management at Hazzard's in Georgetown, SC.  If transient through SC and in need of a haul-out, this is a good place to go.  They squeezed me in even with all the boats that had to haul and splash due to Hannah and I got an unexpected discount on the second haul.  As I said before, very professional and quite helpful.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Glad to hear it John.

Looks like it MIGHT be our turn in the barrel >:( :o >:( :o
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Congrats on splashing the boat Capn Smollett. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

maxiSwede

nice job!  All the best & Fair winds
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Captain Smollett

Busy weekend.  Got some projects done that really needed doing.  No photos this time.  The next pictures I show of this boat will probably be in her new home next month.

• Finished head-to-holding tank plumbing.  I do have one little leak on the hardest-to-get-to hose clamp...but I need to pick up a 7 mm open end to get to it.
  • Wife proved instrumental in solving the old "where to put the overboard discharge diverter valve" problem.  I was "scared" to put it where it needs to go because I feared she'd be angry about losing that storage space...but that's where she suggested it go...problem solved.
  • Installed Waste Pump-Out deck fitting
  • Installed Fresh Water deck fill
  • Rebed four stanchion bases with all new backing plates; the two forward ones did not even HAVE backing plates.  Next week, I will be replacing all wire and stanchions themselves for lifelines.
  • Recaulked chainplates at deck
  • Installed through-hulls in bow for holding tank vents (I know this one is/will be controversial, but I took the lead from another A30 owner who did his this way and is VERY pleased with the result).
  • Wife began her vision for redesign of the galley...   ;D
  • Children began process of making fore-cabin "theirs."  For example, they slept on v-berth for the first time (it's usually been too cluttered).
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

Smollett and S/V "Gaelic Sea" are on the move and doing good. They're up past Wilmington, by Figure 8 Island at the moment. He's planning on going just past New River, to an anchorage there, for the night.

He's discovered why I've long been an advocate of nighttime travel on the ICW. :) (Yes, I'm serious - there's less traffic, the wind usually calms down, bridges open on request, etc...)

He left here day before yesterday at about 3PM. We've had strong northeasterlies, that tend to die off after sunset. That and the tide made for a late departure being the smart choice. That night he went to Little River, getting in shortly before dawn, IIRC. Leaving there yesterday afternoon, he made Southport at 4AM this morning, anchored by the boat ramps (great easy anchorage), and then left there at 2PM.

If he can reel off the miles tomorrow, I'd expect he might make it up close to the mouth of Adam's Creek, across from Oriental. That'd put him on the home stretch for an easy day up to New Bern.

James/Lynx - I told him to keep an eye out for your Portland Pudgy. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

Thanks for the update Capn. Hopefully we will here from John when he can.

W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

Sounds like you've gotten a lot done.  How did you end up plumbing the head?  Does it discharge directly into the tank or does it have a diverter valve and a pump overboard option?

Quote from: Captain Smollett on September 22, 2008, 09:29:00 AM
Busy weekend.  Got some projects done that really needed doing.  No photos this time.  The next pictures I show of this boat will probably be in her new home next month.

• Finished head-to-holding tank plumbing.  I do have one little leak on the hardest-to-get-to hose clamp...but I need to pick up a 7 mm open end to get to it.
  • Wife proved instrumental in solving the old "where to put the overboard discharge diverter valve" problem.  I was "scared" to put it where it needs to go because I feared she'd be angry about losing that storage space...but that's where she suggested it go...problem solved.
  • Installed Waste Pump-Out deck fitting
  • Installed Fresh Water deck fill
  • Rebed four stanchion bases with all new backing plates; the two forward ones did not even HAVE backing plates.  Next week, I will be replacing all wire and stanchions themselves for lifelines.
  • Recaulked chainplates at deck
  • Installed through-hulls in bow for holding tank vents (I know this one is/will be controversial, but I took the lead from another A30 owner who did his this way and is VERY pleased with the result).
  • Wife began her vision for redesign of the galley...   ;D
  • Children began process of making fore-cabin "theirs."  For example, they slept on v-berth for the first time (it's usually been too cluttered).
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Captain Smollett

Hi all...back at "home" (only for the next two weeks).  The boat is in her new slip at Bridge Pointe Marina in New Bern.  Met a few of the other livaboards on B-Dock this morning.  Bridge Pointe is ultra friendly.

Arrived in New Bern 0200 on the 16th, making my last day's run from Mile Hammock Bay at the New River to New Bern in 17 hours.  Stopped twice...once on the base while the military had the ICW closed for an hour for a Shoot Ex and once for fuel in Swansboro.  Long Day/Night on the ICW and Neuse River, but it was worth it to get there.

As I said, we are back here finishing up getting the house on the market.  We'll be up in New Bern permanently the first week of November.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on October 14, 2008, 10:30:32 PM

How did you end up plumbing the head?  Does it discharge directly into the tank or does it have a diverter valve and a pump overboard option?

Hi Dan,

I plumbed the line from the head directly to the holding tank, then the pump-out line goes to a diverter valve.  One leg of the diverter valve goes to the deck pump-out fitting and the other goes to a Whale Waste pump.  Discharge from that pump goes overboard.

I'm not sure if this is the 'standard' way most people do it, but I did it this way rather than the diverter valve between head and tank so that I could empty the tank over board.  If we are "inside" the limit we can use the tank, and jump "outside" to empty if no 1st world pump-out facility is available.

Actually, the hoses for the overboard discharge are not plumbed yet.  That's a lower priority since for the short term, we won't be where we can pump-out over board.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

roybaots

Im new to the forum. Ive really enjoyed reading about your adventures. Sounds like youve had a great summer. Makes me miss that area. Truely a wonderfull place in the carolinas.
1976 Cape Dory 25 #439, Greenwitch,N.J.  s/v "Sea Aire"

Captain Smollett

Officially moved aboard tonight.  Gaelic Sea's crew has made the transfer from SC to New Bern, NC.

See ya'll on the water.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Tim

Great to hear John, a hearty grog for Ya

W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

Good to hear... :) How'd she do on the trip??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran