C.A.R.D (collision avoidance radar detector)

Started by nick, February 21, 2008, 03:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nick

I'm about to dump 70% of the remaining money I have on a Mer-Veille radar detector, before I hit the Atlantic. It seems the most affordable piece of mind I can get... And I know the Mini-transat racers all have them, and also that ocean rowers use something similar (SEAME, which actually sends a pulse back, but anyway), so I don't think it's wasted money.

I've had several debates over this technology before, but at the end of the day, there are a lot of singlehanders using these things, and it seems like a smart move. If this device only saves me once, it's paid for itself - Also, I'll be going up the East coast of the US, which I presume is going to be fog-laden, so I'm thinking ahead here.

Anyway, really I guess I'm asking if there is anyone who actually has experience with these, and has any thoughts. I've heard a million people who've never used one tell me what they think, but really, that's just their opinion, and I'm after some hard data.

Cheers! nick

CharlieJ

Nick try posting this question over on Cruising Sailor BB. Lots of long distance folks there including Evans Starzinger and Nigel Calder.

http://www.cs-bb.com/forums/CSBB/index.cgi
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

nick

Thanks Charlie, I took your advice and put a post over there too.

vinegarj

i have an old lo-kata radar finder on my boat.  once you get a bit away from shore it definitely works (close to shore there are too many things setting it off).  i've never had much luck getting the directional aspect of it to work (but i don't have instructions for the unit).  However, it lets you know that trouble is in the area and then you can take action (e.g. get on the radio, start looking, pray).  it seems like it's a very low drain/amperage gadget.  i can't say that i wouldn't sail without it, but if you're going to be singlehanding or in fog then i'd say go for it.  vj

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

I don't know what the cost of the CARD system is, but I would think that the SeaMe might be a better idea.  Both will detect radar signals from large ships, but the SeaMe will also make your boat show up very well on the radar of the large ships, rather than just warning you.   If the two systems are comparable in cost, I think the SeaMe would make more sense.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nick

Agreed, the seame would be even better, but it's twice the cost of the detector I'm looking at... Seame would leave me with $20 left to provision the boat!! Thanks for everyones comments -

AdriftAtSea

LOL.... that would leave you a bit hungry. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

saxon

Hey Nick, I've just joined this site and  I had been searching the net for a relacement for my old "Lokata Watchman" which went with my last boat. I used it for almost 10 years permanent cruising, as Vinegarj said very low power consumption and I found it ultra reliable. I'm always single handed and initially I looked at C.A.R.D which in those days (1998) I thought was US made and a bit expensive for me.

As earlier stated, in crowded waters the constant alarms from the set will result probably in you switching it off (except in fog!!  :D ) but out in the open ocean it is a real benefit. The "Watchman" didn't even have a bearing indicator, just an adjustable range, sensitivity and volume. That didn't bother me, it did the trick. If I set it at long range it would be yelping away and I would be scanning with the binoculars to see a tiny speck on the horizon, never failed. As long as the other vessel had it's radar on and was transmitting a signal it didn't matter if no-one was looking at the radar, I still got a warning.

I know A.I.S and small radars are more available now but personally I don't have the battery power aboard to run them for long periods like I could with the "Watchman." I would definitely go for the C.A.R.D if you haven't yet decided, I almost did, then found a chap here in England who refurbishes old "Lokata Watchmans" and I'm just waiting until he revives one for me.. ;D ;D  Saxon.

Do you know what you are talking about, or did you ask Mr Google...again?

nick

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on February 22, 2008, 08:48:56 AM
LOL.... that would leave you a bit hungry. :)

My second name is hungry!! You should see me on the rare occasion I eat out... I'm an animal! After being sick and not eating for several days last week, I treated myself to a 6euro Chinese Buffet... Boy, those guys thought that had me; the skinny guy walking into the restaurant... But I cleaned them out, good and proper ;)

I went into the store today to buy this CARD system, and the guy decided it was 10% more expensive. Ok, so that's not too big a price hike, but it's the principle, and also that 10% is a week in the marina... I'll probably just go back in a few days, but it really annoyed me, so I left in a huff.

Thanks saxon for the positive review of radar detectors in general. Good to hear a fellow singlehander that finds them useful.

n!

saxon

Hello Folks,
Back in February there was a thread in relation to the 'CARD ' system, when Nick made a posting about it. I understand he's sculling about around the Canaries somewhere according to his profile, so is there anyone who has knowledge of where in the United States I might buy a CARD instrument. I know they are outdated now so many chandlers no longer stock them, so it will probably be a smaller store that still has one in stock My computer skills are shall we say...limited.. :D and I've had no luck finding one on the Internet, so if anyone knows of I supplier I would be most grateful for an address. Thank you, regards to all. Saxon.                 

( The Lokata 'Watchman' I was hoping to get, looks as if it will not be available before I sail)  :(

AdriftAtSea

If you can't find a CARD system, it might be worth looking at the Sea-Me active reflector system, which has the additional benefit of broadcasting a very bright amplified return signal when it detects a radar signal.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

I just merged;

"CARD System (Mer-Veille)"

and

"C.A.R.D (collision avoidance radar detector)" into this thread.  So that all might benefit from what was discussed before.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

saxon

I think I've been beaten by the 'march of technolgy'   :D  I found the original Lokata Watchman did everything I asked of it, but by todays standards it's antique, and even CARD has been surpassed by Sea-Me. Unfortunately it's also more expensive, but I've started making enquiries with the manufacturer and it looks as if I shall be dragged into the 21st Century after all. Thanks for your help.    Saxon.

s/v Faith

That Sea-me Radar Target Enhancer does sound good because you can turn it off. 

The user's guide makes it sound like it draws about 150ma in standby... not too bad.

Not exactly kiss, but likely a reasonable violation. 

FWIW,

The sea-me, bracket, and sounder on this site come to;

Active radar enhancer    £459.99 £459.99
Mounting bracket    £43.80 £43.80
Sounder   £32.75 £32.75

£50.00
£0.00

£586.54

That is about $1170 at today's exchange......
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

saxon

Thank you for that information sv faith. I think the Sea-Me is the way to go, I'll just have to stretch the monthly pension a little and send for one I suppose. I'm not sure if other single handers feel the same way but all I seek is a warning of another vessel's presence leaving me to pinpoint it's location and avoid it if necessary, so in the past a simple device was ideal. Battery drain looks reasonable too which is important.  I only have a GPS, simple VHF and depth sounder and lights of course, so my battery power is quite limited, but one benefit is I never ever suffer problems with electronic wizardry!!   ;D ;D

4runner

I highly reccomend the C.A.R.D. system. I used one for about 15 years with no complaints. Perfect for a small boat... low battery consumption, foolproof operation, small, light, not too expensive and very depenable. Sorry to say I just sold mine a few months ago. Here is the link: http://www.survivalsafety.com/purchase.htm

saxon

Ah! 4runner, I do believe you have saved the day..I did manage to find a CARD dealership on the internet but it was in Australia and they never did reply to my emails. The Sea-Me while I'm sure is very effective, is in my opinion  rather expensive for the technology involved in it's construction. Thank you very much for the information, I am most grateful.  Saxon.

saxon

Just an update: Completed the installation of a C.A.R.D device that I obtained from the address kindly provided by 4Runner. The only difficulty was running the connecting cable behind the interior bulkhead linings (teak faced ply) phew! what a job, but I eventually managed it and the little control box sits neatly above the chart table. I'm hauled out at the moment but looking forward to getting afloat again once she's anti-fouled and then testing the new warning device.  Regards Saxon. 

AdriftAtSea

Saxon-

Thanks for the update, let us know how it works out.

:)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran