News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Midship 25

Started by BeeRanch, September 01, 2009, 06:24:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeRanch

I purchased a  Midship 25  ( Parker Dawson 26)  about three weeks ago. I have owned a MacGreggor Venture 17 for many years and was ready to graduate to a boat suitable for coastal and offshore sailing. I live in south east Texas and intend on sailing area lakes, the Gulf coast and the Carribean. The Chesapeake is also on my to do list.

My priorities for purchasing boat in order of importance :

1. Purchase price + refit cost should be under $10,000.

2. Must be a boat designed for offshore use AND be ramp launchable by one    person.

3. Must have comfortable accommodations . I am 6'-4" and 250# so I need as big of boat as practical.

4. Good sailing performance.

5. Ascetically pleasing

I narrowed my search down to four boats. I am sure there are many more fine boats that could be candidates but there comes a point where you have to zero in and just do it. I have never been aboard(eccepting the Midship 25) or sailed on any of these boats. My opinions are based on my research and should by no means be considered expert advice.

1. Kent Ranger 26

These boats were built in Washington State and are not the same as the California built Ranger 26.  The shoal keel centerboard design is prefered
for a trailer boat IMHO. The boat looks salty and is a quality built boat. Difficult to find one with a trailer for sale within my budget. Pobably very difficult to rig and launch single handed. This boat is the best looking boat on my list.

2. Grampian 26

I like the shoal keel centerboard. They have a good reputation for build quality. Good headroom. Probably difficult to launch/retrieve single handed. Price is well within my budget.

3. Balboa 26

This is probably the best performer of the group. Easier to launch and retreave. Good headroom and accommodations. I am comfortable with a swing keel design. Price and availability is good.

4. Parker Dawson 26

Early models (like mine) were sold as Midship 25 but are identical boats. These boats have an unusual (for their size) center cockpit layout. They were expensive boats in their day ( $20,000 - $40,000 in the late 1970's ). They have a good reputation for build quality and sea keeping.
The split accommodations are Ideal for a couple with kids or two couples. (not many 26ers have separate crew quarters and owners stateroom  ;D)  
The center cockpit does give the boat a somewhat less than elegant look.      
   The mast is easy to step and rig. I have not yet launched the boat but I anticipate no problems.

I bought the Midship because it was the first one that I found at a price and condition that I could accept. I made an offer on a Balboa but the seller didn't respond for ten days. That was one day after I purchaced the Midship.

I am yet Undecided as for a name. I will wait and let the boat tell me.

My boat is solid and has good bones. It has been unused in indoor storage for the last seven years. The standing rigging is robust and in good condition. The sails are in like new condition. Brightwork is in good shape.

Here is what needs to be fixed.

1. Engine-  inboard gasoline engine was running when sat up. No spark.

2. Rudder was fire damaged

3. Though hull fittings need to be checked and hoses replaced.

4. Wiring is functional but need to be completely redone and brought up to standard.

5. keel needs to be removed and sandblasted epoxied new keel pin ect.

6. new bottom paint.

7. deck hardware needs to be re-bedded.

8. Lifelines need to be replaced.

Of course there will be a never ending list of improvements and upgrades.

If I can get the boat ready and get some sea time in I might participate in the Scoot. I've got crew lined up and it looks like fun. 8)

Any comments questions or advice is welcome

Evan

Amgine

Congratulations!

I know nothing about your boat, or even where you plan to be sailing. My best advice is to have the boat ready to go sailing at a moment's notice if at all possible. If it's easy to rig and get going you'll get sailing more often, and hours on the water is directly related to how much you love your boat/sailing/life. It doesn't matter if it's a good sailor or a dog, just messing about in boats is reward enough.

And welcome!