3 days down the Tenn River

Started by tafelice, October 25, 2007, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tafelice

After I returned from a sail on someone elses boat in New England I had to take my boat, S2 9.2C (which is for sale btw) to the nearest boat yard with a suitable travel lift.  We left a week ago monday and sailed/motored down the river to mile 27, then crossed over to the Cumberland R. on the canal then to Eddyville Ky to Rottgerring Marina for my lift out on the hard.  A buddy from NYC joined me and a local acquaintance in Tenn came along to help.  For the local guy this was his last trip with me as he had no interest in the beautiful scenery and tranquility around us and TALKED practically non-stop despite some frustrated "SHUT THE F*** UP" shouts from me every few hours.  Apparently he has some mental condition previously undetected by me in my previous brief encounters with him.  It was still beautiful and we found some great peaceful anchorages along the way.  I thought the barge traffic was surprisingly light... is this a sign of a coming recession??

Frank

" and then one day while I was at band camp......" ;) (from movie American Pie)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

LOL... I think Talfelice needs a gag for his crew... ;) or earplugs.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

So, Tom - the big question for me is...

Why are you selling the boat? :)

Is there another in your plans/future, already? You've had the S2 only a year, maybe a bit less, right? I hope you're getting another one, and have to bring it 1,000 miles home - you write great trip reports. :D

A long time ago, I had a girlfriend who talked like that. It *does* get on the nerves... lol ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

tafelice

hi kirk and everyone else,

why am I selling the boat.  BTW I took it home 2000 miles not 1000 miles.  And true I've had it for 10 months.  The boat is fine.  Problem is we travel alot, 6 months out of the year.  Now the travel is not sail travel.  So I would have these long times when I would be away from her (the S2).  I have a mooring in front of the house but I would be worried a chain, or cable or cleat might break.  The other choice is to keep it on the hard and bring it out and take a trip once a year (actually I almost have myself talked into this option).  Now the problem with this is my wife who I think is cheaper than me (to be fair someone who knows us well would say "two nickles waiting on change") says, "How much are we paying every month?"    :D But this is a coastal cruiser and not the best river boat.  I was thinking of getting a better river boat, shallow (real shallow) draft, sleeping capacity, sail and motor, then go exploring with it.

Frank, I liked the "band camp" comment.  Well, they all can't be great stories.  Turns out this fellow had a form of Autism (Aspergers disorder) and he couldn't help it.  Big strong strapping guy but when he had to fend off or pull down a jib or turn a pin shackle it would be just like rain man "owee owee owee" LOL I swear I didn't know whether to "No. 2 or go blind" as they say (not at band camp).  Anyone interested in a good sailboat, I've got 16K on it.  If someone buys it I would accompany them to Mobile, maybe even across the Gulf again but that's a big if.

Yours truly,
Tom definitely Tom yeah Tom my main man Tom

AdriftAtSea

My boat wouldn't be too bad as a river boat... it's got a board up draft of 15" or so... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more