'le Sel' sails the Capricorn Coast ...

Started by Ged, November 06, 2007, 03:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

G'day there. I haven't posted here for a while now, but thought that you might like to hear about the cruise I did in July along a very interesting section of the coast here in Australia. I normally solo most winters, but have to admit that I really enjoyed having company along this time. Options are much extended having someone to talk about sail changes with and to chat about the weather with. The trip was about 140 km in total (from memory) - much of it along exposed sections of coast with limited safe anchorage. It was the coldest winter here in 50 years - so that alone is memorable. The wind was mostly around 10 knts off shore, so it was dream sailing most of the way. I can tell you though that nothing beats being days away from port in a 16 foot tiny boat. For much of the time we tracked Captains Cook's voyage along the coast. He cruised the same waters in 1770. I had a copy of his journal entries with me, so it was great to be able to compare and contrast. 'le Sel' performed to expectations and their were no dramas. I'll post a few pics of the trip (a kind of photo essay if you like) in a few posts over coming days. The first pic is of 'le Sel' lunch picked in Rodds Harbour at the start of the trip.
Best, Ged

AdriftAtSea

Ged-

looking forward to your post and photos.  What kind of boat is le Sel??
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

A 10 knot offshore wind...probably a beam reach...lucky guy ;) Sounds like a great cruise.We need boat details and pics please  ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera