News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Albin Vega 27

Started by Bill NH, November 20, 2007, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowell

Hey guys, after long searching I think I have finally found my dream. A (late) 1967 Albin Vega 27. Im going to look at her tomorrow. The price is unbelievable. Shes currently in her slip, bone dry, and interior has been huled out and cleaned/replumbed 2 years ago. Bottom scrubbed last year, but will need a haul out (winter project). All rigging in tact. Sails are quite a few years old (will replace, again, over winter). The original engine was pulled and glassed over.

So, here are my questions.

1) what should I look for with the survayor tomorrow?
2) without the desiel should I ask a lower price?
3) with this boat should I be worried that the price is so low (granted IKE did a number on the surrounding marina and the current owner is on a deadline for a move so is really trying to sell it)?

Thanks!

Nowell
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

CharlieJ

Which marina is she in Nowell?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

nowell

"The Landings" I think. Owner said hes paid up for a year in advance, but that the marina hasn't been reopend since IKE. Said a few people have already decided to just move out. Eventually, providing she meets the requirements tomorrow, I would like to live aboard since I work in Downtown Houston.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Frank

Nice boats.Faster than you'd think.I ran into a great young couple in Hope Town Bahamas that had restored this one and were off on an open ended cruise. I think Norm later ran into them further down the Caribean
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

maxiSwede

Vegas sell here in their 'native' country for anything between 6 and 11 thousand USD. That said I guess (older)boats are generally selling at lower prices in the US.

Without engine obviously on the cheap side.

Things to watch (well known weak spots) Mast support definetely needs work if one consider a Vega for blue water cruising. Chain plates and the gasoline inboards they originally came with. Many have onecylinder diesels since then though.

The Vegas were a quite cheaply boat built  in large numbers in the late 60s and 70s but as we all know a few of them have covered some remarkable distances.

Good luck with it!
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

nowell

Quote from: maxiSwede on October 21, 2008, 01:53:48 PM
Vegas sell here in their 'native' country for anything between 6 and 11 thousand USD. That said I guess (older)boats are generally selling at lower prices in the US.

Without engine obviously on the cheap side.

Things to watch (well known weak spots) Mast support definetely needs work if one consider a Vega for blue water cruising. Chain plates and the gasoline inboards they originally came with. Many have onecylinder diesels since then though.

The Vegas were a quite cheaply boat built  in large numbers in the late 60s and 70s but as we all know a few of them have covered some remarkable distances.

Good luck with it!

Thanks Swede. 2 more hours before my viewing appointment and very excited. Im happy without the diesel. If it works out, im thinking more batteries, and an electric drive anyway. My only concern is price. Its well below what you quoted, but I had an hour long conversation with the owner, and it sounds like he knows what hes giving up, but is in a bind and really has no choice. Ahh well!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

nowell

Well im am now the proud, and 3rd owner of the 1967 hull #176, Albin Vega "Aquila". She sailed the great lakes until being moved to the Gulf. Now she will be moving from the Galveston Island to Kemah sometime next week. Pics will be posted at that time! Thanks all!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

roybaots

Congats. im sure youll love it
1976 Cape Dory 25 #439, Greenwitch,N.J.  s/v "Sea Aire"

Frank

Good for ya....good for your boat!! They need 'love' too  ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

dnice

today must be a good day for vegas. I got the book "Berserk" in the mail this morning, and have been hooked on it all day.
If you haven't heard of it you may want to check it out.

Congrats on the boat, i'm sure she'll treat you well :)

TJim

Congratulations Nowell, It always gives me a good feeling when I see someone come up with a really
"good old boat" instead of the junk most of them buy.  Take care of her and she'll take care of you...TJ

Karletto

AdriftAtSea

Congratulations.  Did you get a survey on the boat??  Can you post some photos of her.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

nowell

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on October 22, 2008, 06:44:21 AM
Congratulations.  Did you get a survey on the boat??  Can you post some photos of her.

Photos will be coming next week. I had a C&V done, but the haul out survey will be sometime next week. Shes in a demolished marina in Galveston, and has to be moved rather quickly. I had a C&V done just so I could get her out. Overall it came out "acceptable" but I know there is much work to do. Thats what this winter will be fore, with the hopes of moving aboard in March when my lease is up. As previously stated, the owner and I had talked for several hours a few times over the last week. Being a big AV fan, and knowing the bind hes in, lets just say people have spent more on TV's than the price I got this boat for. I don't want the vultures to get her when they demo the marina.

She will be moving under her own power most likely to a temporary slip in Galveston before I can get her put on the hard in Kemah. Will keep this thread updated as I go with pictures and reports!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

jotruk

congratulations hope you have a long and happy affair with your now boat
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

roybaots

Im looking forward to how she sails report. You are going to be very suprised.  Stable, solid, forgiving, motion is very nice, pionts well, takes weather, single hands. but make mistake she will go. fast to windward and tacks like a dream. youre going to be really impressed. ;)
1976 Cape Dory 25 #439, Greenwitch,N.J.  s/v "Sea Aire"

maxiSwede

Congrats and Fair winds!

...and please keep us updated
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

nowell

Well like I said, 3rd owner, and until 2003 shes been in fresh water. I even have the original sales brocure and the original engine manual! All kinds of good stuff in here. Anyway, without further adeu, I present you with Aquila!

and

Also, just so you guys can get a feel of what its still like down in Galveston, here are a few pictures of the marina that im moving her out of!

A real beauty, and a real shame:

Ferro, HAHA!

This old timer was IN the boat during Ike, he said the boat lifted up out of the water and smashed down on a pylon sinking her. He jumped in his dingy and the said he didn't hit the water until he cleared the marina! Crazy! She was a beautiful all wood Ketch, this is all thats left:

And this was a huge ketch!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

AdriftAtSea

Nowell—

Congratulations...she's beautiful... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Oldrig

Let me join the others in congratulating you, Nowell. The Albin Vega is one tough little boat.

Just look at the thread entitled "Berserk" on this board. And read the book.

It's a great read--only:

Don't try this at home!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627