News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Albin Vega 27

Started by Bill NH, November 20, 2007, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill NH

Well, I knew I wouldn't be boatless for long...  I went to a sealed bid sale of donated boats at Mass Maritime Academy this past weekend to look at a Rhodes Swiftsure 34 (which turned out to be much more of I project than I wanted to get into).  However, I ended up coming across a sweet Albin Vega 27, a  small but capable boat that I've admired for some time...  well, you all can probably guess what happened.

Much to my delight, I found out today that my bid won the boat!  ;D  She needs a bit of cleaning up and sorting out, but is incredibly solid with gel coat like a 10 year old boat (rather than 35).  Totally dry inside, and a bunch of relatively new sails too!  Looks like I know what I'll be up to this spring. 

I think tonight we'll head out for a pint to celebrate!

125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

She looks like a keeper... I'd recommend that you visit the American Albin Vega site... http://americanvega.org/

Lots of good info there for you.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Wow, Bill - Congrats!!! :)

There's a near-abandonded Vega here in Gtown, over by SMolletts boat. I've been wanting to check her out. SHe's stripped, but has sails and spars, and can be bought for $500 from what I hear. Haven't been up close to inspect, but that seems like a helluva bargain for a world cruise-capable boat!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

They are a FINE and extremely capable boat! Fast too. lots of info out there if ya check.CONGRATS!! I just put a pic in my gallery of one (under voyager) that a young couple restored and outfitted for cruising doing all the work themselves.I met them in Hopetown Bahamas. VERY nice boat.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

maxiSwede

Congrats!

She looks just fine.

Since this is a Swedish design, and I know that the owner¨s association here has a long and VERY good list of projects to do to prepare these boats for blue-water cruisng (they do in fact have a few weak points) jus let me know if I can help you with contacting them or translating from swedish to english for you.

Fair winds
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Bill NH

Thanks for the offer!  I've been through both the UK and US Vega owners sites and have found much good information to start.  I've also found the Swedish Vega owners site at http://www.vegaklubben.se/, but as one would expect it's in Swedish...  If there is a list of projects and common upgrades posted on the site that you think would be helpful, a quick translation would be much appreciated!  Maybe now I'll have to start learning a bit of Swedish!

Tack så mycket!  ;)
125' schooner "Spirit of Massachusetts" and others...

maxiSwede

Bill,

I had a quick glance at Vegaklubbens website, and you have got to be a member to get access to all info on trimming and reinforcing the boat. (I know that the mast bulkhead (correct description?) needs to be reinforced) antd that some people reinforce the rigging and chainplates too.

I'd be happy to help you, but try sending an e-mail to Vegaklubbe first, they'll probably be very helpful too.

Lycka till med nya båten!  ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

dean

Well I spent today removing the adhesive that held  my liner in the v berth and inspected the hull to deck joint.5/16 bolts every six inches look good but need to use a sealer on the joint and may glass tape the whole joint. Any suggestions on the best caulk or sealer?

Marc

3M 5200 I think would be the best.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

dean

s/v Faith

If you are caulking it, and looking for some adhesive some will recommend 3M 5200.  I would not.  5200 is good stuff, mainly polyurethane caulk and used by some boat builders to bond the hull to deck joint even without the bolts your boat has.

PL construction adhesive, sold at Home Depot, and most other box type stores is polyurethane caulk that stays a little more pliable, bonds like 5200 but best of all, it costs less then $6 a tube (compared to ~$20 for 5200).

It comes in a couple colors, and there are bunches of 'types'.  I like the one that simply says "PL Polyurethane® Window, Door & Siding Sealant ."  

I learned about this stuff from a shipwright who has worked on boats for quite a while... he swears by it, and I have used it with great results myself.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Wow, two replies while I was typing that post!

I almost forgot... tabbing the joint from the inside would also be a good idea... may be overkill, but if you are taking a beating somewhere on a dark and stormy night it might make you feel better.

Oh yea... and I would absolutely not use silicone.  Here is a link to Silicone Don't use it and why. in Tips & Techniques It is only for use on crappy boats that will represent no loss to the world when they wind up in a landfill.  Your boat most definitely does not fit in that catagory....  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

Quote from: s/v Faith on July 22, 2008, 09:46:00 PM

Oh yea... and I would absolutely not use silicone.  Here is a link to Silicone Don't use it and why. in Tips & Techniques It is only for use on crappy boats that will represent no loss to the world when they wind up in a landfill.  Your boat most definitely does not fit in that catagory....  ;D

I highly recommend silicone for Jet Skis, particularly on and around the seat :)

Seriously though, I have used quite a bit of PL construction adhesive for putting down subfloors and would not recommend it except when a very permanent non-flexible bond is desired. On the other hand the Poly window and siding sealant is a tough waterproof flexible adhesive that I can see why would be perfect for semi-permanent use.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

bobnlesley

...looks good but need to use a sealer on the joint...

Why?

If it doesn't leak, then it doesn't need an extra bead of sealant on the inside face and if it does leak, then a bead of sealant on the inside face won't provide a permanent solution

AdriftAtSea

If you have access to the interior side of the hull-deck join, glassing over it is a great way to help strengthen it.  The polyurethane window adhesive mentioned above is probably a much better choice than 5200, both in terms of cost and performance. 

Another possible choice for sealants would be a butyl rubber compound, but this would only really make sense if you were taking the hull deck join apart and rebedding it completely. This would only be  a good choice if you're planning on glassing the whole joint after cleaning it and re-bedding it, and need/want a sealer.  However, it has relatively low adhesive strength.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

dean

Bob, I have deck leaks somewhere as I had water damage while on the hard so I want to seal everything that I can that is out of sight before I tab the joint. i am going to address all the Vegas weak points  while I have access.

skylark

Butyl rubber tape has very little adhesive strength, it is not appropriate for a hull to deck joint.

I have used PL Concrete and Masonry Sealer product in a number of boatbuilding projects and would use it in a hull to deck joint.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

dean

I sat in the boat today during a intense rain storm and found my two leaks,A broken solar fan and a dorade vent cap. Everything else looked good. I am still going to seal and tab the joint while I have it exposed and I have the time. I am sure there will be dark and stormy nights in my future,although I look forward to warm water ,sunshine and a warm first mate.

Shawn T W.

Just thought if anybody was in the area . . . Berkley . . . this is cheap! No reserve on ebay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boats_Sailboats__1974-Albin-Marne-AB-Albin-Vega-27-Sailboat-CA_W0QQitemZ360082287856QQddnZBoatsQQadnZSailboatsQQddiZ2831QQadiZ2794QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item360082287856&_trkparms=39%3A1%7C65%3A10%7C240%3A1308&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

No motor (but has transmission) and no trailer, look nice in pics. Click on the "more pic" link and see the write up from the owner.

I'm not ready for that big of a boat yet, if it was 10 shorter . . .

Shawn