And I Enter the Realm of Boat Ownership

Started by nmwarren, December 10, 2007, 05:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmwarren

Hello all!  I have been reading sailfar for a couple months now, but am just now posting because....wait for it...I finally found a boat!  She's a 1966 Kenner Kittiwake 23 in great shape.  The previous owner was a boat-builder and basically gutted the boat and did new woodwork, toe rail, compression beams, deck, etc.  If you haven't heard of these boats, they are great little full keelers based on an Alberg design.

A little about me - I am 25 and at this point am more of an adventurer than sailor.  I learned how to sail about a year ago and have been learning/reading everything I can about sailing and cruising.  Anyways, my plan is to continue improving my seamanship and upgrading/outfitting the boat over the next 18 months.  Hopefully around Spring 2009 I will have the savings necessary to leave on a nice trip.

Plans include starting from the Texas coast (I live in Austin, BTW) and sailing towards the Yucatan, or trailering to Florida and jumping across to the Bahamas (that I've read so much about on this board).

Well, cheers!

Lynx

Welcome, Looks like a great boat. I have been reading about these for years. Make sure you get enough sailing in. Even if it is just putting the  boat in a lake and staying on the hook for 60 hrs (fri night to mon morning).
MacGregor 26M

nmwarren

Yep, it'll be going on the lake in the Spring, after I finish some bottom work and stuff that is easier to do on the trailer. 

AdriftAtSea

Congratulations on the new to you boat. The Kittiwake is a great little boat from what I've seen and heard.  I've been on one a couple of times. If you haven't picked it up yet, I'd highly recommend you get a copy of Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor, since it is an excellent and easy to read book which covers a fairly broad swath of sailing. 

There was an excellent article in Good Old Boat magazine in the last year or so about the Kittiwake 23s. 

Keep us posted. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Welcome aboard.

If you ever wander down to the coast, Laura and I sail on Matagorda Bay most times. We're only about 3 hours south of you. Got a few sailing friends in the Austin area too.

Good looking boat by the way
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

welcome aboard...nice boat !  Pictures...we need pictures ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

BobW

Congratulations on your new boat!  We're looking forward to tales of your adventures.  Get out there and practice!  ;D
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

CapnK

Wow, she's a beauty! Grog to the newest Cap'n!!! :D

(I second Franks request for more pics, too. :) )
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pappy Jack

Oh my God, she is absolutly beautiful :o. Don't forget to add all the safety goodies before you take off for far away places. Best of luck and like the others have stated, take lots of pics.

Fair winds and full sails.

Pappy Jack  ;D

Frank

Pretty.....very very pretty. Did Alberg ever design an ugly boat?? I think not ;D. That has to be one of the nicest looking 23's on the water.More pics please...interior too.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

I don't think Carl Alberg was capable of designing an ugly boat... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more