Not a book... (or: The video thread)

Started by CapnK, January 26, 2008, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evantica

Big oceans  was a great one,  thank you! good looking boat, contessa 26! any more links???

dnice

Try this video on for size.

from www.wildvikings.com

They have a dvd, I would really love to see it (hint hint ;)) but last time I checked, they wanted 50USD for it.
So i read the book and was pretty satisfied, anyway, if anybody ever gets that dvd let me know :)

I think Nick's (www.bigoceans.com) voyage is being documented for a documentary which would be wonderful, but will take another year or two to come out. of course, the videos he has put together and released free of charge are IMO the best around.

I believe Zac Sunderlands trip will have a dvd release once he has completed the voyage. That should be interesting. I know he has several camera's mounted on his boat.

Overall, there really is a shortage of high quality no-nonsense cruising videos.

please let us know if you find anything else.

evantica

Dnice... Wildvikings, the norwiegan... I 've seen that too- (yes I know I told you only in bigger boats...eh..).- An Albin Vega far north. an allright dvd, but not that great, I think (sorry, don't like the cold climat)
They did a trip before this filmed one. And the boat sank outside Afrika, hit by a whale or somthing??!! More tip please...

chris2998

Just seen Jean Du Sud Around The World WOW what a great movie

nowell

s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Captain Smollett

Okay, this is a different type of video recommendation.

We often talk about consumerism and materialism here on sailfar.  Well, on the advice of a good friend, tonight I watched the movie TRUE STORIES featuring Talking Heads frontman David Byrne.

In a word, what an amazing flick.  Quite the comedic commentary on modern American consumerism.  Great soundtrack, too.

I've always thought Byrne was a genius; this cements it in my mind.  This movie is well worth a look if you want to examine consumerism and quietly ponder, after watching it, the KISS and SailFar principles.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

Grog for that great recommendation :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

evantica

evantica

evantica

skylark

Here is a link to a torrent, you will need a torrent client to download the 1.4 Mb mov file.

Sailing from Florida to the Dominican Republic on a Pearson 30, one guy and three girls.

The political propaganda is stupid, the ideology is silly, but on the water, who cares about ideology.

$$

$$$

Very interesting video, I am watching it again for the second time today.

Edit:  Link Removed Because web site contains stolen content
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

evantica

Captain Smollett

As we watch EARL churning the Atlantic and think of "who might be out there?" I post these for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHK18Plnw4I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf7FddPO5QM

Sometimes, the youtube comments are more entertaining than the video...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Marc

Hey Guys, What kind of camera are they using for these kitecams?
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Captain Smollett

How NOT to work with the tides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B3sd0XRFBE

(man, that place just looks treacherous; and here I thought Eliot and Snow's Cuts were bad...)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CharlieJ

Wapoo Creek was bad, Snows Cut was worse, but that's awesome!!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

rorik

Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

evantica

Oldrig

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627