Not a book... (or: The video thread)

Started by CapnK, January 26, 2008, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rorik

Quote from: Captain Smollett on September 10, 2010, 04:04:25 PM
How NOT to work with the tides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B3sd0XRFBE

(man, that place just looks treacherous; and here I thought Eliot and Snow's Cuts were bad...)

Aw, c'mon...... it's only a 7 knot ebb tide.....  ;D
http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/locations/1528.html

And this from Wiki:
Deception Pass is a dramatic seascape where the tidal flow and whirlpools beneath the twin bridges connecting Fidalgo Island to Whidbey Island move quickly. During low tides, the swift current can lead to standing waves, large whirlpools, and roiling eddies./i]
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

CapnK

WOW.

Can't believe I waited this long to see Yves Gelinas film about his RTW trip...

http://www.thesailingchannel.tv/jean-du-sud/

I downloaded the movie - only $10 - and man, what a great resource it already is, and will be, as well as being just plain good entertainment. The story is told well and moves right along, there are quite a few LOL moments, and the cinematography is surprisingly good. What is really neat is the peek you get at how he lived day-to-day, a close up look at another small boat sailors ideas and methods for offshore existence...

His grain grinder was a surprise. His stove location gave me some inspiration for a problem I have been wrestling with. I really like that I have *finally* gotten to see how his inflatable dodger (and, in fact, whole inflatable bimini/cockpit-cover) worked - though I would like some more details... :) My suspicion that I could do ratlines up to the first spreader has been confirmed, as is my intention for mast steps above there... Lots of little things like that, in particular make this movie simply outstanding over pretty much every other sailing movie I have ever seen.

I never did figure out the function of that pole in the after port corner of the cockpit, up against the rail...  ???

Two thumbs up, & I'd give it 3 or 4, if I had 'em. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

maxiSwede

The Gelinas RTW movie -possoibly the best sailig movie I've seen. And I've seen it a few times too... :o

I too, like his inflatable dodger frames, made from bicycle inner hose. I did e-mail him to get a hang of how he made them, but I didn't quite get it. He's a genious when it comes to making innovative stuff from some scraps. His Cape Horn windvane is really cool to and from what I've heard he's really helpful as to how to custmize it and istall it.

BTW, he worked as a film director before he 'sold off and took off'

Oh, and the part where he makes a sleeve and fixes he's broken mast after a 360 is fantastic.

Slocum, Moitessier, Gelinas.....in chronological order  ;)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Capt. Tony

No exageration here, I've watched it about a hundred times or more.  It has helped me through the winters for about 10 yrs now.  Yves has done alot of work to Jean du Sud over the years and some of it is pretty subtle when compared to his more obvious and incredibly inovative changes.  After e-mailing him with a question several years ago I recieved a package from him with a, get this, hand-written note included!  Not many of those going around these days.  I am always looking for new ideas and a better way (than I can think of) of doing things and I discovered a lot from his movie.  Not only that, but it pushed me in new directions and made me dig where I never would have thought to.  Hey!  Just like this site!

Capn, I believe that post in the corner of the pushpit is a camera mount.  There are a few scenes that were filmed from that point.  

Oldrig

A friend of mine installed a Cap Horn windvane this summer. He said he dealt with Yves, and he was extremely helpful any time a question arose.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

evantica

Hve to post a comment! Yve's RTW is probably the greatest?! I've ordered it on VHS back then, and later on DVD. Also seen it at least a 100 or more times. I plan also-when afford- a Capehorn windvane. Salut to Yve's and a merry christmas to all of you

Oldrig

Evantica:

One of my crewmates to Bermuda last summer installed a Cap Horn windvane on his Cape Dory 28. His boat is now in storage near my boat, and I've had a chance to look at the installation.

It's really elegant, and he said Yves was extremely helpful supporting him with the installation.

If I were ever to get a windvane for my little 25-footer (unlikely), I'd definitely go with Cap Horn. It's an elegant design and Yves and his colleagues provide top-level customer support.

Best,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Captain Smollett

My children got an Optimist for Christmas and so we have been watching some videos waiting for the water to warm up.

Who says you cannot sail a boat in seas that are MULTIPLES of the LOA of the boat?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5sHkuuINXY

Sailing rocks.  The freak-out over "rough" conditions is the symptom of a dying characteristics in humans...(really, I've heard "sailors" say they drop sails and motor to port if the wind exceeds 10 knots...that's not a typo...TEN knots of wind).  If an 8 ft pram can handle 30 knots and not-insignificant sea states, what the fuss for a ballasted "cruising" boat in the same conditions?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

And some Opti's working upwind in what looks to be a bit better than 20 knots and lumpy seas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyGEMviXwc

Who says you cannot sail in 20 knots?  Hogwash.

(Sorry if the tone of my last two posts seems harsh, but I've grown quite weary of late with non-sailors that own sailboats shooting off at the mouth at what CAN and CANNOT be done...the whole "head for port" mentality sitting on a comfort level of "ideal conditions and nothing more.")

Shoot that looks like fun, and I like the little duel at the end.  My children are PUMPED to get out there and do this.   ;D  Of course, they like the ride on the foredeck in 25+ knots of wind, too.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 18, 2011, 12:01:13 PM
And some Opti's working upwind in what looks to be a bit better than 20 knots and lumpy seas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyyGEMviXwc

Looks like they are having a blast!
Keith
International Man of Leisure

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

Captain Smollett

Not sailing related, but you could call this a boat....of sorts...A power boat I think is cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oeJjzdlTuI

I just love the Icelanders' spirit.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CharlieJ

I admire their spirit also. But I can live without their country :D

Spent a year there- it's COLD up there!!!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Food for thought: want to run for port when it gets rough?   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EZKRac2jwE
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

"Cruising:"  moving fast from anchorage to anchorage.

What about voyaging?

(I cannot get over that interior...something out of a sci fi space voyage movie I've seen...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epfspZc-Ajs
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Another movie recommendation...not exactly sailing related, but it is about the love of the water, and an INCREDIBLY inspirational story.  This is the story of Bethany Hamilton, the teen surfer who got her arm taken off by a shark, and went on to compete at the champion level in pro surfing.

This girl's got real guts...the kind that's hard to find nowadays, it seems.

Soul Surfer

I really liked the inclusion of real video footage of Bethany and family in the credits, scenes that 'mirrored' produced scenes in the film.  Some of the film we thought might be for dramatic effect - not so much, since they were reenactments of actual 'home movies.'

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Well, I have to say that even though this is not sailing, I find this to be one of the COOLEST videos on youtube.  It's time elapse of a tugboat working along New York City.  Tommy Emmanuel's guitar work adds to it, but what I find really cool is the 'titles' that just scream "waterman" and "work boat."

Same guy has some other cool videos on youtube as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq9WjDWugfg
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Captain Smollett

Sweet little video of the start at the Folkboat Worlds...wow, to see all those classic hulls working upwind in the breeze...beautiful.

Folkboat Worlds

(Edit March 2014: Broken Link, sorry.  It was a cool video.)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina