Good plain white bread

Started by gigglingdolphins, March 12, 2008, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gigglingdolphins

Hi,
We just moved aboard full time a month ago, I don't really use my pressure cooker, well I have actually yet to try, should I say afraid of it. you have permission to laugh at me...

does anyone have some simple recipies for white, wheat, cinnamon breads?

I too miss that Bahama bread from Vernons store in Hopetown...I bet that recipie is under a conch shell hidden somewhere.

Thanks in advance
On Life's Vast Ocean Diversely we Sail
Jack & Sue

Frank

I'll be in Vern's in a few minutes...I'll ask him for the recipe
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

I asked Vernon...he replied his recipe is for 30 loaves  ;D (honest) Tried to post a pic of the signs that greet you walking into his store but won't post? Says file is full? Here is what 2 of them say  "if at 1st you don't succeed...skydiving is not for you"  and  "If ya want Walmart, it's 200 miles to the right"
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

gigglingdolphins

How about the sign "not here, went fishing"

Isn't the saying go when the store is open, not always when you need something.  :)

Do you know the Arie house? it is the small white house that sits down a bit by the upper cemetary? my dad built that house, sold it last year after 43 years of living there part time.
On Life's Vast Ocean Diversely we Sail
Jack & Sue

Amgine

I don't have a recipe for a pressure cooker, but I have a family recipe for milk bread using an oven.

Like any family recipe, it comes with a wee bit of a story. My mother was not a very experienced cook when she married, while my father came from a family where a wife's value was how she ran her kitchen. So she asked her mother-in-law to teach her. And they started with bread. My mom pulled out a notebook to write down the recipe, and my grandma said "you fill the blue enamel pot with milk to scald..."

All of the measurements were that way - so many tea cups (the red rimmed one from Norway), a piece of lard about the size of a red (Rhode Island Red) egg, etc. So my mother worked with grandma to figure out how many cups of milk the blue enamel pot held, etc. And in my turn I changed the recipe from 6 loaves (Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday) to ratios for a single loaf, multiply by how many you want to make. However, you really shouldn't try to make a single loaf.

1 pkg dry yeast (3/4 Tablespoon if you buy it in jars) dissolved in 1/2 cup water - add a dash of sugar or flour to the yeast and let it start to develop a foamy head. This is for one or two loaves, twice as much for 3 or 4 loaves, three times for 5 or 6, and so on. (Using less than one package for a single loaf doesn't work well)

1 cup whole milk (you can use skim - it's just better with all the butterfat)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon lard (or vegetable shortening, or slightly less in liquid oil. Lard does improve the taste and the crust.)
1 teaspoon salt (slightly scanted for me personally)

Enough flour, probably 4.5 to 6 cups of general purpose or bread flour. You can have up to half of the flour be whole wheat.

First step is decide how many loaves you're going to make. Start the right amount of yeast, and set it aside to start to foam.

If you haven't already, wash your hands, roll up your sleeves, put on an apron because you're almost certainly going to get floury and messy. Bread is hands-on.

I could give a long and involved process here, but that would just scare you. It's really simple - heat the milk, sugar, salt, and lard/shortening/oil until everything is melted/dissolved. Set aside to cool to lukewarm. Pour milk mixture and about half the flour into a big mixing bowl, stir in yeast. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until dough forms/can't use spoon. Then use hands until dough doesn't stick to the bowl. Turn onto floured surface and knead about 10 minutes.

Put it back into (cleaned and greased) bowl, turning the dough so the top is greased. Cover with a slightly damp towel, or a plastic wrap, or something to keep the top from getting dried. Set it aside until gets about twice its size. Punch down (not a real punch, just push firmly) so the gas bubble collapse, and divide into loaves. Let them rise again until doubled in size, then bake at 350 until crust is browned and loaves sound hollow when tapped.

This is a basic recipe, and many things can be varied and changed and you'll end up with great bread so feel free to experiment. The bread should be able to be baked in a dutch oven if you can maintain an even temperature.

Auspicious

Here is my bread recipe.

I'm not a big fan of pressure cooker bread. It tastes fine, but the shape is awkward and not very useful for sandwiches. YMMV.

For your pressure cooker, try stews, goulash, pot roast, even rice. Pasta works surprisingly well.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

Yeah, we do. Laura bakes bread in the pressure cooker often. long with biscuits and cakes. She's been really busy cutting apart the forward water tank in Tehani to install a flex tank, but I'll see if I can get her to post something on the subject

Oh and by the way- her recipe is no knead, takes 5 minutes the night before to prepare and 30 to 40 minutes the next day to bake.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JWalker

Hey Charlie, is Laura done with the cutting of the tank yet?

My wife and I are talking about Pressure Cooker bread and want to know how to do it!  ;D

Do you put a pan in the pressure cooker? on a rack maybe?  ???

CharlieJ

Laura is no longer with me. But yes, the tank got done

And yes-we use a clay saucer in the bottom to hold them pan up. Use a stainless bowl to bake the bread in

I think there was a post outlining it some time ago- when next I get time I'll try to find it. won't have wifi for a while- heading further south in the morning
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

I purchased a product called Bakers Rack, found online. Haven't used it yet but looks pretty simple. Bakes all kinds of stuff.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

JWalker

Thanks CJ,

grime, can you shed some more light on this "bakers rack"?

a quick google search turned up trophy wife furniture.  ::)

Grime

Sorry about the here is their link http://www.bakepacker.com/ I call it a bakers rack because of the rack in the pot you bake with.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27