S/V WILLIAM BLIGH OFFICIAL VOYAGE THREAD!

Started by Antioch, April 20, 2008, 12:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antioch

April is going way too fast for me, and I find myself once again rushing around to get caught up on voyage preparation for the new launch date for the Bermuda voyage of 06/06/08.  Last week Portland Yacht Services of Portland, Maine faxed me the survey of the mast and rigging work that needs to be completed.  Below is a synopsis of those reports without the amounts I'm being charged.  The reason I'm leaving off the prices, they seem a little too good to be true, and seem to fit my budget as if they were tailored for me.  I don't want them to get in trouble if they did give me a bit of a break, so I'll just leave the figures omitted for now.

Here are the work orders I've signed for and paid for:

1. Stepping of the mast, launching, rig tuning.
2. The masthead sheaves will be disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and given the       proper corrosion protection.  This is being done because one of them is frozen.

3. The spreader tips are being removed and having the rivets replaced.
4. Halyards: They will be building a new job halyard, main halyard, and spinaker halyard.  They'll re-use two shackles and provide a new snap shackle for the spinnaker halyard. (Winchard HR snap shackle patent. 1/8 X 5/16 rope to wire halyard. Yale 5/16 uu w/yellow.)
5. Fabricating a new spreader brackets, spreaders, and tangs.

They were going to toggle the shrouds, but because they wantd to replace the whole rigging which they said was in decent shape, I've decided to wait on that one.  In a year or two I'll design a new complete rigging system myself, as I've always been confident in my own skill in this department, and find it's the best way to know what it can take.

Anyway, so yes, there are some changes in the way the launch is going to go. After I leave my job at the end of May I'll be driving both my cats, Lava and Elvira, to Portland in my Ford Bronco.  Then if the weather is going to be temperate, I'm going to lock them inside the boat with enough food and water to last three days. Then I'll be diving down to Virginia and taking a train back up to Maine.  This way, when the voyage concludes, I'll have my very capable four-wheel-drive waiting for me to take any gear off the boat that I don't want to keep on board during storage.

P   O    R    T    L    A   N    D    -    M    A    I    N    E

David_Old_Jersey

Just had a quick looksee at your Myspace - that's a damned good looking boat!

CharlieJ

Wishing you much better success than on your last effort Robin. I suspect this boat will be more up to the job, don't you?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Antioch

Certainly do.  Also, please kknow that this will be the most documented of my trips.. I've got three main cameras now: A DMC-FZ8  by Panasonic and Leica for still shots and video in a pinch.  A GS-39 Panasonic which will be the work horse for video coverage.. and then my new Panasonic/Leica GS-320. Now I realize that you may see three Panasonic cameras and wonder if I'm partial to them, truthfully I'm not... I bought each one at different times and they blew away all of the other cameras that they were next to.  Last month I bought a Canon ZR950 and wasa so mad as it was the most awful video camera I'd ever come across. Later that day I found the Panasonic GS-350 in Grand Island and have been pretty happy with it.  I've not done too many videos with the 350, and truthfully I;m not sure how much better it is than my older GS-39, but maybe you can judge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cZfSwy6vy-k
This video above was recorded using the newer GS-320

This video below was one of a series I recently did with the GS-39.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ds6Aj7PcYWU

Antioch

Mid-may is upon us, and with the sounds of Stan Rogers "Barett's Privateers" setting the mood on this chilly Calgary night, I find myself on the final approach for the now INEVITABLE launch of my 1972 Nova Scotian built Paceship East Wind. I have signed a numerous work orders for not only the rigging repairs to the William Bligh, but also have scheduled and paid to have her mast stepped on the fourth, and the launch on the ninth. My train ticket from Newport News, Virginia for Saturday 7 June has been bought, paid for, and reserved for the trip back up to Portland, Maine. I'm looking at storage places for the Bronco down in Virginia but it's always possible I'll find someone who lives in the area to keep it at their house until the voyage is over.

My feelings this evening must be similar to that of a war weary soldier, who has heard that the enemy is signing an armistice, but still has to wait through the shelling for the last bit of metal rain to end. The William Bligh has been held hostage by circumstance, lies, and my own lack of self discipline: She is a victim of me being gone all the time because of my job, and unable to have attended to her for the last few months, beset by the discoveries of multiple breaks, missing items, and other things by the less than reputable broker whom sold the Paceship to me, and the fact that I could have saved thirty grand in the time that has gone by, but I have a problem saving money until the last minute. Even with all of this, I feel somewhat triumphant in that I have finally navigated by way around all of these obstacles, and will soon no doubt be sailing my way to Bermuda and down into warmer weather. I realize that there hasn't been the huge fanfare that seemed to overwhelm me back in January, but perhaps a June cruise is not as special on its surface as me risking my neck because I have truly nothing to lose in January. Speaking of which, I think the greatest fault in my own judgment was not expecting the ice and snow in Maine. I had never even been to Maine until I bought this vessel, and my only experience on the ocean in January was in Hawaii and off California, where it occasionally got "chilly." The thought of sliding off the decks and into the rolling sea because a layer of frozen spray had never entered my mind, and was my only true fear. Nevertheless, that fear, however justified, had no impact on my postponement of the voyage, which was truly a monetary issue to do with catastrophic cracks that were found in the spreader mounts.

Because June may seem like cake for the majority of cruisers, I intend to make it more of a voyage of exploration and discovery. No I'm not crazy, and no, I don't think it's the 1700s. Certainly we won't be searching for a westward route to the spicelands of Asia, or even seeking out unexplored territory to plant a royal Spanish flag in; what we'll be looking for is interesting sea life to do stories on, and recording and documenting weather phenomenon in the Sargasso Sea around Bermuda. We've probably all searched for sailing videos from ordinary cruisers online, and while we come across interesting snips from voyages, they're not very well produced, and don't really have any aim or focus. BY producing many short videos, like my Eco Observer series, I can keep the focus on particular things, and hold the attention or the easily distracted internet generation. Just like before, I will be highlighting failures or equipment and my own shortcomings, and hopefully, we'll all have a laugh and find what I am doing not only worthwhile, but inspiring, and a demonstration of what an ordinary man can do when he puts his mind to use in an effort to escape the proverbial rat race.

So whether you're with me or against me, you'll wish you came along.

Robin Scott Johnson
Skipper:
s/v William Bligh of Portland, Maine (Paceship East Wind)
s/v Hard Knots or Tempe, Arizona(Capital Yachts Newport 20)

CharlieJ

Fair winds and following seas Robin. One can wish no more for you other than that and - Best of luck on your voyages .
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Antioch

David_Old_Jersey

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Robin - Good news!

I think that crossing an ocean, you'll likely still find some adversity to enjoy ;) even if it is a warmer month! (And being warmer, it might just make that adversity much easier to handle, lol). I'm glad that things have worked out for you that you can shove off... in less than a month!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and keep us updated throughout. Fair winds!!!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Antioch

Quote from: CapnK on May 11, 2008, 10:50:42 AM
Robin - Good news!

I think that crossing an ocean, you'll likely still find some adversity to enjoy ;) even if it is a warmer month! (And being warmer, it might just make that adversity much easier to handle, lol). I'm glad that things have worked out for you that you can shove off... in less than a month!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, and keep us updated throughout. Fair winds!!!

Good point!

Antioch

Antioch

I have posted similar polls on some other sailing sites that I'm on, as well as a few other boards I go to that have nothing to do with sailing. As many of you know, the s/v William Bligh and I are sailing to Bermuda in June from Portland, Maine, and I had lacked a usable dinghy.  After a year of searching, I finally let cost help me decide on a Zodiac model that could support the Evinrude 4 h.p. that I used to use on the s/v Hard Knots.

CharlieJ

I IMMEDIATELY thought of Fletcher, even before I opened the post to read the poll ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Antioch

Fletcher is winning... and you're the third person who's said that that was the first thing they thought of, even before they saw the choices.. LOL

Marc

s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

CapnK

Did Bligh give the open boat/launch they sailed home in a name?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Antioch

The Excitement Trigger
By Robin Scott Johnson

Reminiscing about the voyage preparations in December for the January launch of William Bligh, a single question was posed to me again and again: Are you excited?  Up until recently, and back then when I was enquired to, I had to tell the person whom I was speaking to that I was in fact NOT excited.  It seemed very routine, expensive, and inevitable that I would be miserable bouncing around on the icy North Atlantic Ocean in the dead of winter, all while fighting seasickness and the cold.  Still, I pursued my passion of sailing until certain devastating circumstances forced me to postpone all voyage plans until June.  Well, June is almost here, and I have just about everything I need now.  My debilitating lack of ability to routinely save money has not gone away, although I was able to save like mad for the last six weeks and have a tidy sum that already has covered fuel cost estimates for the Bronco, all the Boatyard work, a new dinghy, boat registrations on both the newly acquired Zodiac and yacht, additional groceries, emergencies, extra gear, and the inevitable hauling charges at the board yard in Newport News, Virginia.   It sure seems like I'm coming off as a bit of a braggart, but believe me, there is nothing that I have ever worked harder for than this voyage, and the distance I have to travel to get to the s/v William Bligh makes this an extremely costly venture indeed.  This week too, I finally purchased a motorized dinghy, which will be christened with the name "Fletcher."  The name was come to with the help of several  message board elections among which are: Mongothetrucker.com, Cruiser.co.za, Sailfar.net, Paceship.org, and my friends on Myspace.com. This necessary purchase will give me greater latitude where I anchor and make it considerably easier to get to shore and ferry supplies back and forth.

Today I drove up to Vancouver, British Columbia and then down back into Washington, where I gazed at all of the sailboats in Lake Union, their masts lazily swinging with the Space Needle and the rest of the Seattle skyline behind them...it was easy for me to look, as traffic was moving at two miles per hour just prior to rush hour!  As I watched, multiple ideas and a stead-fast realization began to culminate in my brain as I daydreamed about a couple of posters I'd seen in the Boise Stage Stop: two posters of gorgeous Moorea Island, French Polynesia; a sailboat in a turquoise blue cove, the vessel fully decked out for cruising, with the beautiful dark and lush green volcanic mountains in the close background, as it was a narrow shot.  I got on the telephone with a friend of mine in Arizona who also sails and told him that for the first time ever, I was excited about the solo voyage to Bermuda, in that it would be the first step in getting my life going again in the direction I wanted it to go.  Sure Bermuda will be beautiful, but it's no South Pacific paradise, and I truly think that that is where I want to end up with this whole sailing venture.  I'm more of a people-person than I used to be, so it's not solitude I seek, but I am looking to be a part of all those pictures I used to look at in shark books when I was a little kid... beautiful coral reefs, sandy beaches, palm trees, brilliant sunshine, and natures monsters like the sharks causing me my only stress.  I think I can deal with a shark, or at least avoid becoming a meal, and if not, then I doubt my regret would last very long! 

Elvira Garcia and Lavapai Martin (Elvira and Lava) are near me right now. Elvira, snuggled up next to me, purring as usual, and Lava, passed out having his dream-induced spasms while laying flat on his Superscratcher.  These cats will have a good time after they get over their initial sea sickness.  When living in Avalon Harbour, Santa Catalina Island, Lava really enjoyed his freedom, being able to have access to the outside world via the decks.  He seemed very happy with the fresh air and watching the boats, fish, and the birds.  Elvira has never been sailing, although she really took a liking to the William Bligh, and looked so content as she watched me work on the sink and various electrical systems, I have no doubt that she will make a fine sailing cat.  The problem with Elvira is her small size, as she is too petite for a feline life preserver.  There will of course then be special emphasis on training her to use a ladder to climb back on board when she's fallen overboard in a harbor or anchorage.  I learned that Lava has zero problem climbing up a metal swim ladder on the stern of Hard Knots, so I assume that he'll be able to manage with the removable one which I'll be using on board the Bligh.  Lava never liked being thrown overboard, but I think the trick was to push him when he wasn't looking in my direction, this way the grudge would pass within a few minutes.  Elvira isn't as strong as Lava, in fact she is pathetically weak, so if the ladder doesn't work then I'll have to go the "hanging carpet" route, which I find a little unsightly in a harbour.

So yes, wow, I am excited as the big day finally approaches.  It does help my mind-set being better prepared financially, and I am positive that this will be a successful voyage.  Of course I will strive to keep everyone abreast of my progress.  The first leg to Boston will be posted before I leave Bean Town, there will possibly be an update from Nantucket and/or Martha's Vineyard.  Then upon reaching Bermuda I'll get online and post more video, pictures, and updates.. and let everyone know the final itinerary before setting sail to Virginia. It is my greatest hope that everyone will continue to follow the voyage and keep your collective fingers crossed for me.

Robin Scott Johnson
s/v William Bligh
Falmouth, Maine

AdriftAtSea

let us know when you'll be in the boston area, since several of us live around here. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Antioch

There's another East Wind owner there too.. I'll be using his mooring and he'll keep his boat at the yacht club.  It should be around the 10th or 11th of June, but I'll keep you posted.

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on May 21, 2008, 07:44:39 PM
let us know when you'll be in the boston area, since several of us live around here. :)