Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Racine--a lovely place!

Started by Seadogg, July 31, 2006, 07:54:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seadogg

Hey, gang!

Just got back from a weekend trip to Racine, Wisconsin.  Unfortunately, we didn't sail over; this was a quick trip for a family reunion.  However, we did have a great time prowling the beaches and marinas and just soaking up the ambience.  A very nice maritime atmosphere.  We were even lucky enough to be there during their "boater appreciation day".

Fun, fun, fun.

Hope to actually sail there in the not too distant future.

How'd your weekend go?

Fair winds,

Nick
S/V  First Step

Destination?? Sailing IS the destination!!

sailorflo

Racine, Yes it is a very nice place, There are many places along the west shore of lake mich, I would highly recommend that you sail to a small town called Kewaunee Wis, very nice port about 250 miles north of Chicago. From there north are all good places to visit
Flo / Marty, Got Milk and Shark Bait Tartan 37 #369

vinegarj

btw, if you pull into racine at night, there's a public dock over by the racine yacht club where you can tie up for free (plenty of water depth at the dock, too).  and from there it's a short walk to cliff's where the weekly fish fry starts on friday morning and ends on sunday night.
and about kewaunee, we've gotta keep that place a secret!  but if you do go there, once inside the harbor carefully follow the nav buoys as it's very easy to go aground if you get outside them (don't ask how i know).

sailorflo

And just 10 miles north of kewaunee is another small town called algoma. Its a good town but if you want to really have a good time sail all the way to washington Island were I grew up lots of sailboats on the west side of the peninsula, goodfood and lots of trout boils
Flo / Marty, Got Milk and Shark Bait Tartan 37 #369

Pappy Jack

Let's face it. Most towns in Ws. that are on the lake are wonderful :-*. If I had to pick a state in the midwest to live in, it would be Ws. ...maybe Mi. west coast ???. I live in Iowa and it is a good state but lets face it. We don't have much in the way of BLUE WATER ;D. We do have a few good lakes but...

Fair winds and full sails,

Pappy Jack