Little cruise/little cruiser

Started by Frank, June 28, 2008, 11:00:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Rick, a sailing buddy from NY is bringing up his M15 in a week for a cruise of the Ottawa river here at home.I pulled my little Montgomery out for a clean up and once over to get ready to join him.What a neat feeling to not worry about a boat.These little cruisers sit on a trailer in a garage forgotten about until you decide to go.Haul them out,quick wash,throw your stores on and you're ready.Once home...remove what will spoil and put back in the garage-DONE. No worries,no stress. I look forward to touring the river. It's been a few years and will enjoy showing Rick the beauty of this erea.Can't really imagine anything more fun than a couple of well matched lil boats scooting along...both camera and fishing pole in hand...darting through the islands with no plans other than what seems to feel like fun right then.May not be 'long distance'...but the 'small boat' thing sure will apply  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on June 28, 2008, 11:00:56 AM

May not be 'long distance'...but the 'small boat' thing sure will apply  ;)

Cool, Frank.  Remember - LOTS of pics, okay?

I sometimes wonder if "long distance" can be said to apply to the 'quality' of miles...miles "lived."  What do we mean by "far?"  To many, TOO many, it seems like travelling by boat is simply moving from point A to B via water.  I think small boats help keep the focus on the journey itself.  So even if the number of miles is not large, if spiritually you are "far" from where you started, you've sailed far.

Maybe that's too poetic ...
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Not at all- remember reading this from Laura after the Texas 200 on our little trimaran?

"I had NO IDEA how much I missed little boats. They give you a totally different experience than a big boat."

We thoroughly enjoyed the entire trip- our only regret was, as Laura said one night-" the winds were TOO good- it was over too quickly"

Far is often a state of mind  ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Far is what you think/know it is. Like CJ said, just put a lil differently. :)

Have fun, Franko!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

It's official...small boats are FUN. Just back from a week up river.It was nice to get re aqainted with my home waters.Seems ya travel in search of beautiful cruising ereas and forget the beauty of home. The Ottawa river drains an emense water shed before finally dumping into the St Lawrence and out to sea.Our erea has about 60 miles navigable between a hydro dam up river and world class white water down stream. (not recomended in sailboats ;)).We put in just below the dam and sailed with the current and prevailing wind downward. This is a beautiful erea with the foothills of the Laurentian Mountains coming close to shore in ereas.Our 1st night was spent in a protected bay.Then we were off sailing further to climb bird rock (HUGE) and take in the view before anchoring in another bay.A sail to old Fort William, a former Hudson's Bay trading post and later anchored amongst the nearby islands friday night.Traffic had been none existant until now but as the weekend approached and wind shifted we did what all good sailors do...turned and had a fast run back up river rather than tack into increasing power boat traffic.This erea is not built up and has very little traffic until the weekends come.Along the way we hiked,fished and had some fine sailing.Our last night at anchor it rained heavily and it looked unique as the humidity rose from the trees on the slopes as if fires had been set.Did Rick enjoy it and feel it was worth the 9 hour drive?...he wants to come back for a longer stay next year  ;D I loved showing him around and getting back out locally.We both had a hoot on 15ft.

Captain Smollett

Very cool, Frank.  What are the odds you get a following wind on both legs of your trip ever again?   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Lynx

Cool trip! The Erie Canal has a lot less boat traffice this year because of the high fuel cost. With a little wind from the west and a little current I am getting over 13 mpg. Boats under 30 feet are about 1/2 of what I see.
MacGregor 26M

Frank