ELECTRA restoration (scooter)

Started by Frank, July 19, 2008, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Figured offshore 'skooting' that the ole hatch would leak...will have to build up to fit the new one (bomar) but it should be a lot safer.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

There was no access to the the large erea under the aftdeck.These open it up

Frank

Made up a large double with fillers in my ole Ariel....same will work here to create a nice size for a 22fter

AdriftAtSea

Frank-

Beautiful work... keep us posted. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

There is no table in an electra and really no easy way to do one.After sitting and daydreaming I came up with this.It simply clips onto the step and the leg folds out.easy on/off/stow.That is the fun part of this...getting ideas

Frank

Had to cut the old hatch off and enlarge the hole for the new one.The original was wider, so here's what I came up with.Scrap basement pressure treated ply. It will get glassed in top and bottom.Should work as a good base.

Frank

up-date ..Got the fore hatch plywood buildup glassed over and making storage inside with some compartments P/S. The holes are drilled for the new ext. mount chainplates. Mast is back with new rigging etc and new sails home now as well.

s/v Faith

Very nice Frank,

What are you using for the external chainplates?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

I got a 1,1/4 by 1/8th  type 316 SS flat bar and cut/drilled.  S L O W drill speed and use oil to cool  ;)

Frank

Doing mods to the mini galley for more storage.This will be above in the corner and I cut out the counter to make a 'drop in' erea. Will be 'as good as it gets' on this boat.  Disclaimer....not cabinet quality....but with filler and paint, it'll look OK  :o

Frank

Not sure if this is the 'right way'...but I'm using epoxy and micro balloons as filler to fair the taping on the deck re-core. Ya gotta sand quick after ;D   PS ..The hatch has one full layer of 9 oz cloth over all of it both in/out and then another layer of wide tape

CharlieJ

One point Frank- Micro balloons are hollow,, so if you sand a filler of them, be sure to roll on a thin coat of epoxy after wards to seal the open balloons. Of course if you are glassing over them, that does the trick.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Thanks CJ...I will put a thin epoxy over to seal once sanded fine. The seams have 3 layers of FG tape on them already, so this was my idea of 'bondo'....again...not sure if right or normal...just seemed to make sence to me.

CharlieJ

It'll be fine as long as it's sealed with something. It's only those micro balloons right on the surface that you open up sanding. So as long as those are sealed it'll be fine.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

New combings are made and ready for finish.

Frank

I re-enforced under the deck while at it

Frank

Putting a bilge pump in the cockpit...these have pop up handles.  One below too

Frank

With a narrow bilge, I found a small size gulf cart battery that fits in nice.Deep discharge and not too bad @ 31 amp/hrs

AdriftAtSea

I like those Plastimo bilge pumps.  I just ordered two of those to mount on the amas to pump out the amas as needed. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

Here's how the new chain plates will look