Marina recommendations (SW Michigan)

Started by drsm, August 10, 2008, 01:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drsm

Hi,

I'm looking to go from a trailer sailor to a "trailerable" boat that will be moored or kept in a slip most of the time. I wondered if any Lake Michigan sailors had recommendations for a marina, somewhere from the Saugatuck/Douglas area north to the White Lake area in Michigan.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
"Buen Tiempo", Telstar 28

skylark

Tower Marine in Saugatuck is supposed to be pretty good.  I hear they do some skinny dipping in the pool after midnight.  Its not too far from the new brewpub, maybe a half mile or so.

Holland is OK but pretty boring, the marinas are far away from anything.

Grand Haven, don't know for sure. The city is OK but once again the marinas are pretty far away from town, except for the municipal.

Personally I would like a mooring in Muskegon Lake, somewhere near the south side of the lake.  But it is getting developed.  Sailing in a Muskegon Lake is good when its too wavy out on the big Lake.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

drsm

Skylark,

Thanks for the info. Any idea how hard moorings are to come by in Muskegon? I think I would prefer a mooring over a slip. Muskegon Lake is our most common launching site now (State Park), so I think it makes the most sense to look there first.

Steve
"Buen Tiempo", Telstar 28