Inside Passage from Seattle to Alaska

Started by newt, July 23, 2008, 03:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Looking to sail from Bellingham to Sitka,  Alaska.  Does anyone here know how many hours it takes to 1. Vancouver 2. Desolation Sound  and finally 3. The Alaskan border? I have tried other web sites and just looking at charts, but they are missing the local knowledge. Thank you in advance. :)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Captain Smollett

Newt,

I believe someone posted about this, or part of this, route on Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board (TSBB) about a week or two ago.  You might want to do a search over there for the past few weeks and see if that helps.

Beyond that, Francois on TSBB sails the Vancouver area, so perhaps he can provide some info.

Be a beautiful cruise...can't wait to see the pics! 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Tim

Newt,

I do not have a lot of information at hand, but from cruising around the San Jauns and Desolation Sound area I would give myself a full season for such an adventure.

There are so many channels with currents  and tides to deal with requiring a great deal more navigating. Weather can also be a major factor as some of your passages would be exposed to the Pacific.
So it will come down to a lot of timing.

I wish I had more info for you as it something I have considered and may eventually do.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward