News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Staging the boat

Started by Godot, October 25, 2008, 04:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

If everything continues to go as planned, I hope to have Godot ready next summer for The Scoot.  I have a month off for the trip; but need to find a way to get the boat to Beaufort in time.

Delivering the boat in early 2010 would be difficult time wise (I only have so much vacation), and weather wise (likely cold in March and April). 

So, my current thought is to sail the boat to Beaufort next September.  I can easily take off a couple of weeks, and the wind appears to trend more northerly this time of year.  I can join the masses of boats making the southern pilgrimage.  It will be fun!

So, I guess I need some ideas of a good place to store the boat near Beaufort.  I want to haul it out, so any last minute repairs and changes can be easily done, and a fresh coat of bottom paint can be thrown on a couple days before The Scoot.  CHEAP is good.  And if time is short, a boatyard/marina that can paint the bottom for me is even better. 

Any recommendations? 
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Captain Smollett

I'll be in New Bern, so if you wanted to leave her there, I could keep an eye on her for you.  New Bern is about 7 hours from Morehead City/Beaufort.

You said you want to haul out, and there are some yards around for that.  I will be able to give you some more specifics in a month or two.

But, if you want to leave her anchored for the bulk of that time (thus saving $$), there's a good anchorage right across the river from where I'll be. 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Godot

Hmm.  I'll think on the hauling out part.  I was mostly thinking along the lines of having fresh bottom paint on.  As well, having the boat floating without being able to check on her occasionally (especially over the winter) makes me somewhat uneasy.

However, it is a possibility worth considering.  I've got a year to figure it out, yet.  We'll see where I am with preparations.  I can't believe how fast time is passing.  I hope I have enough time to get it all together properly.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Joe Pyrat

Adam,

There's a marina/boatyard in Beaufort called Bock Marine Builders at mile 195.8 on the east bank below the bridge as you enter Beaufort.  It is kind of isolated but I've heard good things about it from DIY'ers.  Skipper Bob lists the marina cost as $1.25/ft free electricity.  They also have a yard which I saw as I passed by.  It had an eclectic bunch of boats in it, so I'd imagine it is as reasonable price wise. 

Skipper Bob lists the following under DIY Yards about Bock...

Lift 70T, LW 20.0, Haul $8.50/ft, Wash $0.00, Block $0.00, Lay Day Free 0, Lay Day Cost $35.00, Labor Rate $65.00

In addition Dozier's lists that they have Gas and Diesel, Groceries, Ice, Marine Supplies, snacks, laundry, pool, showers.

Doesn't look like they have pump out so you may want to get this done at your last stop if you use them but there is probably something near by.  The phone number is 252-728-6855.

I may have a picture somewhere, I'll check and add it later if I do.

Edit...
Sorry, no picture.  Guess I was thinking about taking one but didn't.  There were some interesting boats in the yard which is why I thought about it.

Edit 2...
You might find this helpful.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f19/best-diy-yard-south-of-virginia-highly-suggest-it-14992.html
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Auspicious

Adam --

I think the idea of anchoring/mooring out until you haul shortly before pushing off has some merit. As you say, you have time to think it over.

I'd be happy to sail with you again and help you run your boat down.

Let's stay in touch.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Godot

Quote from: Joe Pyrat on December 01, 2008, 12:02:14 PM
Adam,

There's a marina/boatyard in Beaufort called Bock Marine Builders at mile 195.8 on the east bank below the bridge as you enter Beaufort.  It is kind of isolated but I've heard good things about it from DIY'ers.  Skipper Bob lists the marina cost as $1.25/ft free electricity.  They also have a yard which I saw as I passed by.  It had an eclectic bunch of boats in it, so I'd imagine it is as reasonable price wise. 

Thanks.  I'll look into it.

Quote from: Auspicious on December 01, 2008, 12:19:29 PM
Adam --

I think the idea of anchoring/mooring out until you haul shortly before pushing off has some merit. As you say, you have time to think it over.

I'd be happy to sail with you again and help you run your boat down.

Let's stay in touch.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious

That's a generous offer that I'm inclined to accept.  Weather permitting, I'm hoping to take the boat from Middle River, up the Chesapeake, and through the C&D canal and outside Delmarva to Norfolk where I guess I'd grab the ICW (I understand that rounding Cape Hatteras has several issues, I assume due to the closeness of the Gulf Stream).  This will hopefully give something of an open water shakedown.

Before the shuttle down, perhaps you would be interested in sailing with me next summer on a blustery day and help me figure out some of my handling issues.  And determine whether you feel you could spend a week or two on a small, well worn, boat with a cranky skipper.   :-\

Regarding the handling, thinking back to my trip a couple of months ago, it struck me that I was actually sailing with lee helm.  The tiller is so light that while I acknowledged it at the time, I simply never thought about it again.  I'd bet money that is at least partially responsible for why I had trouble tacking in heavy wind.  So, a little more rig tuning is probably in order.  A fresh set of eyes on my reefing setup wouldn't hurt my feelings either.  I think there is room for improvement.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"