sailboat charter or rental in Charleston area

Started by AllAboutMe, December 04, 2008, 12:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllAboutMe

Hi all,
Long time no post...
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a two week stay in Charleston to do some sightseeing, and just wondering if any one knows of a sailboat for charter or rent for a reasonable rate suitable for two adults. I don't need big, fancy or new. Just clean and seaworthy. I'm not thinking $360 a night bed and breakfast....more like $1,000 for 10 days...Or somewhere in between the two. I'm not even sure that I need a boat that would leave the dock...though it would be nice to be able to do some day sailing while we're there.
The alternative would be to sail my boat down in stages and find reasonable dockage, but transit time might be a problem there. I'd really rather not spend two weeks in a motel room. A rental cottage on Sullivan Island? Just some random thoughts would be appreciated.
Anyone have any ideas, please jump in here. I'm looking at the middle of January or thereabouts.
Larry Wilson
Richmond,Va.

CapnK

Larry, poke around at this link to a Google search. If you can, get a boat that is at the Charleston Harbor Marina - great views, you are in Mt Pleasant (not downtown Chas), and they do have a water taxi over to the peninsula proper (at least during the summer months - might be something to check).
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Joe Pyrat

Larry,

I'm sitting in Charleston right now at the Charleston Maritime Center.  Do you want a crewed ride along or a boat to captain yourself?  Let me know and I'll do some checking around.
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

AllAboutMe

Thanks Joe and Cap'n.
Joe, I'm more inclined towards bare boating, and then maybe shanghiaing (sp?) someone to help with local knowledge. Appreciate any leads you might turn up.. Would anyone be interested in trading a couple of weeks in Charleston for 2 in Urbanna or Deltaville, Va on my 8.7? Not new or fancy, but clean and safe. Swimming pool, immaculate bath houses, and great cruising grounds on the Chesapeake Bay.
Larry

Joe Pyrat

I'll do some checking around tomorrow and let you know.
Joe Pyrat

Captain Smollett

Larry (and Joe...  ;D ),

Can't help with the chartering, but I can offer a few thoughts on what to do while there.

(1) Anchor out at Ft. Sumter.  Really.  I've seen some folks say not to, but it's not so bad.  Not overnight or anything, just long enough to dingy down to the docks and visit the Fort.  It may be a bit of a bumpy anchorage (anchor inland of the dock) so plan for that....worth it though to visit the Fort for free.

(2) Anchor out along the Mt. Pleasant Channel just  behind the what is charted as "Crab Bank" iirc.  Then, dingy up Shem Creek, tie up to a dock and enjoy eating at a great local restaurant...pick one, they are all pretty good.  I've eaten at several places along the creek, but R & B's is one I can particularly recommend.

(3) If you want to see stuff in the town, get a 3 day bus pass for $9 per person.  Not a bad deal.  The aquarium is cool, for example.  If you are anchored at the "City Anchorage" there where the Ashley and Wappoo Rivers meet, there's a bus stop right across the street.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AllAboutMe

Captain S. ,
Thanks for the recommendations. I am thinking about the same sort of agenda you're talking about.
Larry

Joe Pyrat

If you decide to use a marina, the Charleston Maritime Center is reasonable on their rates and an easy walk to a lot of the local attractions.
Joe Pyrat