Flavoured coffee syrups

Started by Amgine, February 03, 2009, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Yes, this is silly aboard a boat, but a misty sunrise with a bialetti coffee with just the right splash of syrup and other fixin's (like using evaporated milk to make a cruiser's espresso breve) in the cockpit... well, it just doesn't get much better than that.

Get your preferred flavouring agent: vanilla, hazelnut, mint, crème de cacao, whatever liquid flavour essence you might use in baking and want to use to sweeten and flavour your coffee. You can even use liquors such as Scotch or Brandy, but realize it must be a very concentrated taste to come through in the syrup (cask strength Islay might work, but whyever would you consider sullying such?)

Sterilize the container you're going to store it in as well as you can. Sugar water can try to become really bad beer very quickly at room temperatures. Glass/metal can be boiled (remember to sterilize the lid, too!), and you can use bleach on plastics that can't handle boiling water.

Anyway, the recipe is simple:

1 part water, 1 part sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer at least 5 minutes (this is to sterilize the syrup.

Cool to about room temperature. Add enough flavourant to the syrup that it is strongly flavoured, but not overpowering. This will take practice, and varies from person to person. (The hazelnut flavouring I have now is pretty strong, and I use just under a teaspoon for the 1 cup of syrup this makes. But my partner won't use it 'cuz it's too strong - she prefers about a 1/4 teaspoon which sh measures in drops) You need to add alcohol-based flavourants to room temperature or cooler syrup; heat can cause the flavour to evaporate with the alcohol.

Seal and store in a cool, dark place when not in use; if possible refrigerate. Use within 6 weeks if possible.