Bebi Electronics LED lights

Started by CapnK, February 03, 2009, 11:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Y'all might know it (or not), but Michael Homsany, the inventor/owner/producer of the various Bebi LED lights, is a sailFar member.

He is extremely aware of the netiquette regarding self-promotion, and reluctant to at all be seen as 'having crossed the line' of decency, so -

I am starting a thread for him.

;D

If y'all have any questions about him, the products, his area (Fiji), or whatever - chime in!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

JWalker

I'll chime in and say I delt with Michael via e-mail, and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about not only bebi products, but electrical systems/loads/recharging/alternative energy/ect.

He gave me several different options I could go with, and not all of the options were bebi!

Great to have an honest company that will tell you all the info and let you decide.

btw I'll have 6 bebi lights on Madalyn Joy when she goes back in the water.

Tim

What I really like about my Bebi "Owl" is that I can use it on ANY of my boats

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Captain Smollett

I really want to give high marks to Michael and Bebi.

I finally got around to ordering my Bebi Owl, and there was a mix-up...on THIS END...and delivery was refused.  The unit was shipped all the way back to Fiji.

Michael contacted me to say that it was returned, and I found out what the problem was - it was NOTHING Bebi did wrong.  Michael then reshipped it to me, and no additional shipping charge.

Really, as relatively inexpensive as these lights are (priced a Davis plug-in anchor light lately?) and with the cost of shipping from the South Pacific, shipping it twice is what I call CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Thanks again, Michael.  I will continue to praise your company and your products among boaters I meet.

--John
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 08, 2012, 04:55:06 PM
..... I will continue to praise your company and your products among boaters I meet.

--John

AND you will have the brightest anchor light in the anchorage while you do it.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

Quote from: s/v Faith on January 08, 2012, 10:01:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Smollett on January 08, 2012, 04:55:06 PM
..... I will continue to praise your company and your products among boaters I meet.

--John

AND you will have the brightest anchor light in the anchorage while you do it.  ;D

Without a doubt. Been using one for years now- probably sold 6 or 7 when people rowed over to ask "WHERE did you get that light???"

Michael and company are good folks to do business with.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

JWalker

I will chime in again, and say that we are very happy with our bebi lights.....all 7 of them.

and our owl (actually a Lulu Kaukaua) is easy to spot among other lights!

Two thumbs up for bebi.

Seafarer

I bought an OWL a little over a year ago and was very happy with it. For some reason the voltage regulator failed, but it was replaced under warranty very promptly. At the time I also upgraded to a Beka which for me was a good choice.

Then, I moved from my lonely spot on the river to a popular anchorage in Bradenton Beach. Everyone asks about that light! I bought an OWL for one of my very helpful neighbors as his Christmas present and he was extremely pleased. At least two other neighbors will be ordering one soon as well.

We have commercial crabbers who lay pots right through the anchorage and often tend them at night. Keeping them from hitting me is a high priority, as I've had a hard time spotting the other boats in my anchorage, which mostly use solar-powered walk-way lights from Wal Mart.

I'll be putting another one on the IP26 when I get it moved down from St. Pete.

What I want are Bebi Nav Lights. Not just an anchor light put into a presumably pre-existing housing, but a new light made with colored LEDs. Any chance one of these is on the horizon?

CharlieJ

;D
We were anchored there in Bradenton Bch a few years ago, and got boarded by the Coast Guard at night.

He said the reason he boarded was to ask WHERE we got that anchor light????

Told him it was from Bebi electronics in Fiji. He wrote all the info down and told me he was gonna recommend that light to people, because it was the brightest in the entire anchorage.

While you are there in BB, visit the restaurant up the way called "the Gathering Spot" Tell the lady who owns it the single hander on the sailboat from Texas said Hi. One of my favorite stops.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Seafarer

Bought another OWL for my "new" boat. Right now it's anchored without lights not too far off a rather busy channel. Can't control where you break down!

Going to have a load of Walmart solar pathway lights on it tomorrow morning, lol. They'll keep the authorities placated until the new light arrives to delight them. Or confound them- depending on how badly they want to ticket me.

Tim

The  OWL anchor light with 5 meters of cable and cigarette light plug is perfect for the multiple boat impaired sailor

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

skylark

Thats what I use for an anchor light, hanging from the boom over the cockpit, it also acts as a cockpit light, to a certain extent.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

I hang mine form the backstay higher than the boom. The boom is too low and the mast blocks the light forward. Used to hang it from the headstay, but it's so bright it keeps me awake, plus it attracts insects which fall into the hatch and right into your face >:(
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Just posted a 6 month use update on my latest Bebi light here;

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php/topic,524.msg43451.html#msg43451

Great product!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Wade

Agree with all above. Have 2 owls, love them. I will not buy another light without checking with Bebi first. W

CharlieJ

I've been singing their praises for years. Good service and Micheal H is a sailor himself.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Porter Wayfare

So, if on my sailing dinghy for cruises of 10 days or so I wanted to power an Owl with just a small battery, what do you suggest?
a wooden Wayfarer,  Solje  W1321

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

CharlieJ

One of the "jump start" batteries sold for automobiles is really handy. Has a built in cigarette lighter socket, and is self contained for recharging too. I carried one on board Traveler, my 18 foot trimaran when doing the Texas 200. Used it to recharge phones, and also to top up the charge on my hand held VHF. One of those should run a Bebi anchor light for weeks
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Porter Wayfare

I can't watch the sea for a long time or what's happening on land doesn't interest me anymore.  -Monica Vitti

Porter Wayfare

Moving on to battery sizing--
Within the last couple of days I read a comment in a thread that discussed battery capacity and useful capacity and not draining the battery more than half way and so on.  I think it was by one of the "Captains."  I have spent a while looking for it in my history and searching for it on the site, but I can't find it.  Can anyone give me a steer?  As in directions--not the animal.  Thanks.