Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

SSB receiver antenna

Started by shamrock, March 23, 2009, 10:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamrock

Samrock here,

Does anybody have any experience with SSB. I want to add a SSB (receiver only) for getting weather info but I'm having difficulty figuring out the antenna requirments. Metz makes a whip for use in the 2-30 Mhz range and I'm wondering if that will work for receiving weather info. Any comments?

Auspicious

It should work fine, but so will a random-length wire hauled up the mast and plugged into the external antenna jack on your SSB receiver.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

shamrock

So the wire doesn't have to be tuned or cut to a certain length ??? Will an old 7x19 halyard wire work?

Auspicious

Should work okay. Copper is better than steel, but should be a good start.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

I have talked to a couple of people using small SSB receivers to listen to Chris Parker for weather in the morning.  My kaito 1103 actually receives better then the installed Icom 700pro that is aboard.

One thing I do when I am having trouble receiving his broadcast is to touch the whip antenna to either the back stay, or to the dodger frame.  Works much better then the 30' wire you raise up the halyard....

Try it if you are having trouble receiving the weather... Works great for me.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CharlieJ

One thing I found with my Kaito- the speaker is NOT the best. In hard to hear areas, a set of ear buds work really well- improves the sound a LOT.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on February 11, 2014, 01:10:54 PM

One thing I found with my Kaito- the speaker is NOT the best. In hard to hear areas, a set of ear buds work really well- improves the sound a LOT.

Agree with that.  I listen to my Kaito with some frequency to listen to overseas "news."  It's pretty much always with headphones or at least ear buds.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain