A Bahamas question- We are loading the boat now for an eminent departure

Started by CharlieJ, July 08, 2009, 10:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

We'll be leaving for a prolonged cruise within  the next month.

I have a question concerning spearfishing  in  the Bahamas.

I know spearguns are illegal, or at least used to be. But what about pole spears and Hawaiian slings?? I have several old Sealances I plan to take along but if they aren't legal in the  Bahamas, I won't bother. I know I can use them in the keys with a fishing license.

Anyone have exact knowledge? or know of a web  site where I can see the laws? I don't need conjecture unless you want to pay the fines if you are wrong ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

CJ,  they still sell them in Bahamas, so I "assume" they are legal. In conversations there I was told the slings were legal....but you know what assume stands for. I'll try to look up the town office phone #     edit...I just called Kevin, who owns the hardware store and was told "hawian slings" are legal. No one was in the town office...go figure. Its hot and the power is out...guess they're all gone home.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

Bahamas Fishing Regulations
Permits are obtained from Customs officials at ports of entry. Fishing gear is restricted to hook and line and you may not fish with more than six rods at a time. No vessel shall have on board any fish unless its head and tail is intact. Bag limits are as follows:
Lobster or Crawfish: Six tails per vessel, at any time. Annual closed season is April 1 to July 31. Minimum size limits are 3-3/8 inch carapace length or six inches tail length. Egg-bearing female crawfish are protected.

Conch: The Queen Conch (conch) is considered an endangered species throughout much of the wider Caribbean, including The Bahamas. In an effort to ensure the continued sustainability of local conch stocks, the harvesting of the species by foreign boaters is prohibited.

Wahoo/Dolphin/Kingfish: Six fish per vessel, any combination.

Vessel Bag Limit: 20 pounds of scalefish, 10 conch and six crawfish per vessel may be exported from The Islands Of The Bahamas.

Stone Crabs: Closed season is June 1 to October 15. Minimum harvestable claw is four inches. Harvesting of females is prohibited.

Turtle: Illegal to catch or have on board; although legal to eat in The Islands Of The Bahamas.

Spearfishing: Hawaiian sling is the only approved spearfishing device. Use of scuba gear or an air compressor to harvest fish, conch, crawfish and other marine animals is prohibited. Spearfishing is not allowed within one mile off the coast of New Providence, within one mile off the south coast of Freeport, Grand Bahama and within 200 yards of the coast of all Out Islands. Spearing or taking marine animals by any means is prohibited within national sea parks.

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

Yes, but not the trigger type or gun type. When you get your cruising permit tell them how many you would expect to carry. Not how many you have on board. If they do not ask, tell them and GET the STAMP. They are illegal with a honka (sp?) from my understanding.
MacGregor 26M

CharlieJ

It's spelled "Hookah".

I have a Brownie's Third Lung, but it's  staying here- no room for it"

Gonna be a mask, fins, snorkel trip
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

geneWj

::)C.J. I sure hope U'r not planning to do the crossing much before late Nov. or Early Dec.
The Keys are also not too safe a place to be.
Much better off cruising the West Coast of Florida, Tampa Bay,St. Pete and stay really alert if U go as far as Port Charlotte.
I know u have been this way before, so its stay alert to the changing weather patterns.
TPIII has been at anchor in the same place through 4 of the nasties so there are places to hide.
Look forward to seeing U and Laura. Call us when U come up the river to the Green Bridge. its only 30' high so that is as far as U can go. The anchorage is on the Palmetto side.
TPIII is not clean and I just do not have the time or the will right now, but I'll show her to U anyway.  Tell Laura to put on her blinders. LOL
gene
Keep Learning!!