News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by Cpt2Be, July 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amgine

Okay, I have to mention my all-time favourite book for new sailors who plan to cruise: The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing by David Seidman.

This book is best because it's *visual*. The drawings have the amazing ability to really show new sailors how wind works, what anchors are doing, and so on. It improves for intermediate sailors, with excellent if somewhat dated discussions about boat types, construction, materials, aero- and hydro-dynamics and so much more. The version I have (second or third copy - I have a bad habit of losing them to other sailors who raid my library. And this one has visited the bilge, to guess from its condition.) is ISBN 0-07-057131-7, but I understand it's been reprinted (for the third or fourth time - it really is that good.)

Of all the books I've used to teach newbs and intermediate sailors, this is the one that covers everything the best.

AdriftAtSea

Amgine—

I'd second your recommendation, since Dave Seidman's book is one I've been recommending and giving away for years... it is probably one of the best basic books on sailing, and covers a fairly wide breadth of material, more so than most of the other "learn to sail" books. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Christopher

Hello from up the L. Michigan coast a bit.  I'm in Milwaukee.  How is your search coming along?  I saw you were looking at Ariels in the area?  Have you gone to see any?  I'd be interested to hear what you thought of them.

I know of a couple not advertised boats that might fit your bill here in Milwaukee.  There is a nice CD 28 that I went through not too long ago that has been on the hard for a few years and for sale for some time.  Very sound boat, nice interior and it's a 78 so you get the bridge deck and brass portlight fittings.  The CD 28 is cramped inside by 28 foot standards, but the cockpit is adequate and that's where you want to spend your time anyway :)
1993 Hunter 23.5

Christopher

Oh, I almost forgot.  A friend of mine is selling his Hunter 27 here in Milwaukee.  It's a 76 model but decks, hull and motor are very sound.  The sails are in good shape too.  I sailed on this boat quite a bit last season and she is a good boat.  We sailed across Lake Michigan and back and hit some nasty weather and she stood up quite nicely.  Standard rig fin/spade setup with a tiller.  Not a bad boat for what he's asking -- I think $7500 obo.

Don't spend too much time seeking certifications and sailing classes.  I was sort of "scared" into spending a couple years taking lessons.  If you read Don Casey's Sensible Cruising book, he'll tell you to buy a boat and just get sailing
1993 Hunter 23.5

newt

I see you have got the bug-bad. They say there is only a thin line between a mental illness and a avocation- in this case sailing. You are in good company here, and all I would add is don't allow yourself to be sold on a new boat by your ASA class sponsors. They will see the look in your eye too, but they have a different agenda than we do. :)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Lynx

I can aslo recomend one of the compute sailing games. Quite real to get some practice. Not as good as the real thing.
MacGregor 26M

Mario G

http://maine.craigslist.org/boa/1223271530.html

If its anything like my C-22 it would be worth looking in to.

With everything into consideration I think I found my perfect boat. Yes I plan on sailing to the Bahamas. But I'm not the 1st to make trips like this in a Chrysler 22.  The size has many advantages when it comes to moving it and the amount of maintaince.  The only thing I do have a problem with is head room. and if I find I need an upgrade it will be to the C-26.

I think with a budget of $25k would have me ...um YOU  ;D setting there most of next year in comfort. 

Iit really is a great time to buy I found lots of great deals on other boats,  but its hard to beatready  to sail with a little work for around $500 . (most into the trailer... :P)

Good luck 

Cpt2Be

On our progress...

I have picked up a few books and have a few coming shortly so thanks for the recomends.

On to the boat...

We have kept a very open mind because of budget (and yes I have already had a broker aproach me at the marina after my  SECOND lesson yesterday)

I have 2 more lessons in the basic course then I'm going to forgoe any more in favour of some navigation courses per s/v Faiths recomend to keep budget down by learning it the handheld/chart/ celestial way.

We figure, if all goes well, we will be ready to make a purchase towards the end of the calender year and take delivery sometime in Feb-April. Cutting it close for that season but it its what it is. Adina's placement program through school has already started setting up some stuff in California and Bahamas etc.. and with the experience she has we hope and pray we can get her into a nice fancy resort down in that area and it doesn't look like that will be a far stretch of the imagination.

OH YEAH WE GOT THE BUG BAD!

Thanks so much to all the advice and as we get closer I may need some help with finding one of those boats near you that you have all listed.

Greg & Adina

s/v Faith

Greg,

Glad to hear the lessons are going well.  As far as;

QuoteI have 2 more lessons in the basic course then I'm going to forgoe any more in favour of some navigation courses per s/v Faiths recomend to keep budget down by learning it the handheld/chart/ celestial way.

Just to clarify, while celestial is a very good tool for the toolbox, my intention was to recommend learning basic navigation (dead reckoning, taking a fix, and inputting GPS coordinates on a chart) first.  There are many who learn with a chart plotter / laptop & nav software that risk being completely lost without fully functioning electronically aided navigation.  This is a big danger IMHO, and one I regularly warn folks against.  Celestial is an art.... (albeit an art that IMHO all mariners who travel offshore should have at least a BASIC understanding of) but is probably not a necessary starting point. 

QuoteOH YEAH WE GOT THE BUG BAD!

Sounds like it... there are far worse bugs to have.   ;)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cpt2Be

The advice on navigation I found very useful and almost naturally intuitive.
As an IT I never relied on my computers  ::)

I just threw in celestial because I would be more apt even apart from other alternatives than to do it with a laptop because of reliability.

Thanks again.

BTW-did you (s/v Faith) happen to take a look at the Ariel's on yachtworld I mentioned? I'd like to hear your opinion as they meet the budget and seem to be reasonably well maintained (less a survey of course).

If you could'nt tell we are leaning that way. Good price, has most of what we are looking for in convienence and again "appear" to be in about the condition we'd expect for the price. Barring any major problems in a survey my wife and I have almost fell in love with them (*note I guess I should hold my cards better in case the sellers reading this  :P )

nmwarren

One thing to consider when buying a boat – from a cost standpoint it can be good to find a boat that has a lot of extras or especially one that has just finished a cruise.  I have found it amazing how fast all the extras on a boat add up – think charts, good life vests and harness/tethers, any handheld electronics, engine spares, proper ground tackle, dinghy, etc.  All of these things can be similar in cost on a small boat vs. a big boat, so they represent a disproportionately large percentage of the cost on small boats like ours. 

For instance on my Compac 23, completely new standing rigging and lifelines was only $492 from Rigging Only and a new mainsail was $600 from National Sails.  On the other hand, new inflatable vests, harnesses, tethers, and jacklines for 2 people came out to about $350, and that was with bargain shopping.

If you are comfortable with the idea of buying a boat abroad, it looks like there are usually good deals on loaded, abandoned cruisers throughout the Caribbean and Central America/Mexico or even in Florida...just search by area on Yachtworld.  Ex: http://www.guatemalariodulce.com/index.html

Maybe you could buy a boat now to learn on, then get a different boat when you are ready for the cruise.

Cpt2Be

We have defiantly been looking at something that gives us extras we need and one that doesn't come with convenience we dont.

That's exactly the majority of research I'm doing right now

ie:bare to minimum requirements for a safe and enjoyable cruise while balancing out of budget and necessity

I wish we had the opportunity to buy now and buy later but that is simply not the case and we will have to learn our stuff to ensure we can do it that way but thanks to all the great advice I've found here and elsewhere we get closer each day to finding a median to that compromise.

I have looked at a few "outside U.S. boats" but as I understand it there is a great deal of headaches were we to try and bring her back here and be able to meet all the requirements like registration etc...

Lynx

Quote from: Cpt2Be on July 15, 2009, 03:24:16 PM

ie:bare to minimum requirements for a safe and enjoyable cruise while balancing out of budget and necessity

I have seen people go with so little and be happy and people go with so much and be unhappy.

So, What can you do without and be happy? Dishwasher? 2 car? Cell phone? internet?

After you get a boat and it does not sink, has a great anchor that will hold in conditions and bottoms the worst of times and it will move cheeply and has coast guard stuff on board, What is left is what you need and can put in. Good luck, you are going to mpve ashore some day anyway. Have fun and keep a light ship. In the states things are easy to get. I suggest you keep it as light as possible and keep the decision aside until you have many days underway.
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

Quote from: Cpt2Be on July 15, 2009, 02:06:03 PM
.....BTW-did you (s/v Faith) happen to take a look at the Ariel's on yachtworld I mentioned? I'd like to hear your opinion as they meet the budget and seem to be reasonably well maintained (less a survey of course).

Wow, no I had not.  I just looked at the listing for the Ariel in the Bay, I looked at the price and thought he was high until I looked at the boat.   If it is as good as it looks, you could pretty much add a dodger to that boat and go...  (and get rid of the oversize outboard)

Bet an offer of 10 would get you talking.

Quote26' Pearson Ariel

* Year: 1964
    * Current Price: US$ 12,888
    * Located In Berkeley, CA
    * Hull Material: Fiberglass
    * Engine/Fuel Type: Single Gas/Petrol
    * YW# 76997-2071850
[/url]

Love the work he did on the interior.

OBTW, worth taking a look at the Pearson Ariel Owners association web page for adds too.  Very active and very good forum.  Can help you get some background on the boats you are looking at.

Is there a particular one on Yachtworld that caught your eye?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cpt2Be

Quote from: s/v Faith on July 15, 2009, 10:58:57 PM

Is there a particular one on Yachtworld that caught your eye?

Yep, that very one  ;D but I'd have to (by the looks of it have a head installed (cost est?)

Cpt2Be

Yeah, I've been on the Pearson forum reading a bit.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Cpt2Be on July 16, 2009, 12:26:01 AM

... I'd have to (by the looks of it have a head installed (cost est?)

If you intend to install a head + holding tank, you can plan on it costing about $1000. 

I purchased a Raritan PH-II head (ca $200) and used a custom designed holding tank also from Raritan (about $300).  There are ways to make your own tank, but I did not want to invest the time at that time.

Incidental plumbing and parts round out the rest of the Boat Unit I mentioned.  I think I came in under $1000 by a bit, but if you budget that amount, you should be able to complete the project without overruns.

Do some reading online by Peggy Hill - she seems to be the marine head 'guru.' 
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cpt2Be

Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 16, 2009, 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: Cpt2Be on July 16, 2009, 12:26:01 AM

... I'd have to (by the looks of it have a head installed (cost est?)

If you intend to install a head + holding tank, you can plan on it costing about $1000. 

I purchased a Raritan PH-II head (ca $200) and used a custom designed holding tank also from Raritan (about $300).  There are ways to make your own tank, but I did not want to invest the time at that time.

Incidental plumbing and parts round out the rest of the Boat Unit I mentioned.  I think I came in under $1000 by a bit, but if you budget that amount, you should be able to complete the project without overruns.

Do some reading online by Peggy Hill - she seems to be the marine head 'guru.' 

That's not bad at all. You are all making this so much more enjoyable experience than I thought this could be. Thanks

newt

Did I get that right- you consider modifying a boat enjoyable. You are new :)
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Cpt2Be

Quote from: newt on July 16, 2009, 01:18:13 PM
Did I get that right- you consider modifying a boat enjoyable. You are new :)

LOL!

New enough to have realized it could have been much worse than that  ::)