From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Sorry to hear that. Condolances to Laura and the entire family.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

jotruk

I hate to hear that My condolances to Laura and her family
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

polecat

Very sorry to hear that Charlie, our families prayers are with Laura and your family.
jim

Mario G

My condolances to Laura and family our thoughts are with them.

John Turpin

CharlieJ

We be in Florida, experiencing LOTS of rain.

Anchored for a couple days at old Fort Mcrae, just across from P'cola NAS. Had hoped to meet Craig and Rose (S/V Faith) but things didn't work out. Our loss I think.

We are now anchored in a spot called Little Sabine Bay off Santa Rosa Sound, where we've been sitting out this frontal passage. Tomorrow looks much improved with west winds even instead of on the nose so we MAY even get to sail- grin

We'll be around Ft Walton Beach in few days for a few days.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Please give Laura my condolences.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Grime

Just a short note from them. The chart is 11385

This is the east end of Choctawhatchee Bay. Had a great sail today but will have to motor through the land cut tomorrow.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

okawbow

Last year, when I went through the same area in April; 3 dolphins followed and swam under the boat for several miles. They bumped the hull several times, and did flips in front of the boat. Some people call the cut east of there, the little grand canyon. It's a pretty spot. I anchored in West bay, near Botheration Bayou, when I came out of the cut.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

CharlieJ

WOW!! I can see why the nick name. I emailed Grme some pics so every one can see. Hope he sees this and posts them.

Any recommends for anchorages around Panama City?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 22, 2009, 12:26:36 PM
WOW!! I can see why the nick name. I emailed Grme some pics so every one can see. Hope he sees this and posts them.

Yes, there is one just past the municipal marina.  You will enter under a bridge and find a wonderful basin known as 'Joe's bayou' that is well protected.  There is a restaurant that we ate at (the service was quite entertaining, enjoyed the garbage burger).  The pictures have disappeared, but you can read about it in this post on our thread.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

okawbow

Quote from: CharlieJ on September 22, 2009, 12:26:36 PM

I had a good NW wind when I left West Bay, so I put up sails and made 45 miles that day to a creek on the ICW just past the ST. Joe cut-off. I prefer the solitude to the city, so I passed up Panama City. The ICW from East Bay to Apalachicola, was the prettiest part of the trip for me.

CharlieJ

Tehani is in Apalachicola, Fl. Almost to the end of the northern Gulf ICW. Next stop is Carrabellle where we head out for a short sail in the gulf to  Tarpon Springs. About 140 miles. Waiting for some winds other than right on the nose. The course is SSE and that's where the winds are hitting from. Supposed to be a small front come through and maybe we can get some northerly winds behind it. That's the hope anyway. Right now forecast is SE at 10-15,, increasing to 15-20. DON'T want to beat into that in the shallow shallow waters of the Florida big bend, for sure. Water is about 20 feet deep for miles offshore here.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

okawbow

last year, I left Apalacicola for Tarpon springs, with a 30 hour window for fair winds. I was just able to make Tarpon in about 32 hours. The winds started from the west, but clocked around through the north to ENE by the time I made the Anclote river. You can see the power plant stack near the river for miles if it's clear.

s/v Faith

We sailed from Clearwater, so the trip was a couple miles longer.... funny I don't remember it as a particularly notable passage, but then again I was going the other way.  ;)

QuoteThe ~ 150nm passage took us 2 days and a night.  We had good wind the entire way, and the Sea was kind to Faith as she had her first real taste of the Gulf of Mexico.

Fair Winds to the crew of Tehani.  ;D
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Grime

Sorry Charlie got brain fog and forgot to post them when you sent them to me.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

jotruk

great pictures I am ready to go already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Grime

Yesterday
We picked up two stainless rod holders for $5 a piece at the community yard sale in Apalachicola this morning. Charlie is installing one where the flag staff holder was. We left the dock and are anchored in the river outside of the channel now.

Today
We are poised to head across the gulf as soon as the weather permits. On the advice of Charles Brennan, we have decided to go to Cedar Key, weather permitting of course. Until then we are doing a few odd chores and resting. Flea and Kathy are here waiting also. We will probably dinghy over for a visit later today.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Frank

Looking at your pictures...laying back reading...Laura out back fishing. Ruff life CJ  ;D....I guess someone has to do it  :o
God made small boats for younger boys and older men