From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy Soul

Have a safe trip home.  Hope to if you are not swamped to make contact while you are home

Richard
s/v Gypsy Soul

CharlieJ

After looking at the forecast, I donwanna come home!!!  SNOW???? They are talking light snow? In Port Lavaca? And here we sit in shorts and short sleeves.

And we are spending Thurs nite inDallas- talking snow and 20's!!

Good thing we are being met at both airports- we don't have clothes with us for that. First stop will for sure be at the house for long pants and coats.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

LOL, I can hear Laura crying from here  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

nowell

Dont come! Its already covered the yards and roads and people are driving like idiots on it! Stay there! heck, let me come and crew! =)
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Grime

They should be off the plane and headed home by now. Not a good welcome home they are getting. Its 32 degrees with 39mph wind gust that adds up to a wind chill of 13 degrees.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

newt

It was 13 degrees here  today. :(
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

CharlieJ

Got that right Grime!!! Rode home into that wind, along with a mix of rain, sleet and snow. Sally (and Kathy who rode along) had the van parked right outside the doors, but we still froze.

Took us longer to get from Corpus to Magnolia Beach than it did to fly from Dallas to Corpus.

Laura DOES NOT want to be here. But we must be here for this month to take care of some stuff for L's mom. Have to do it.

See ya tomorrow at the warehouse. Ryan and Maria are coming and might have something interesting to relate.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Quote from: newt on December 04, 2009, 05:43:38 PM
It was 13 degrees here  today. :(

yeah but- yesterday I was in Florida, washing down the dinghy, wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt, and barefooted- (Haven't had shoes on but twice in four months) and it was near 80.

So the change was sudden, and drastic- and Laura absolutely detests cold. and she considers anything under about 50 degrees cold. ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Quote from: CharlieJ on December 04, 2009, 07:15:09 PM
{snip} Laura absolutely detests cold. and she considers anything under about 50 degrees cold. ;)

Wimp.

/me ducks and runs for cover... ;D

Tell her I loved the 'No Regrets' post. :)

And on the bright side family-wise, at least - it is the Holiday/Christmas month that y'all are home.

Plus it gives y'all the chance to do some easy 'tweaking' for things cruise related, if needed. Grab a few extra shackles, some 'wag bags' :), maybe sew an extra rain/spray curtain, something like that perhaps...?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Gypsy Soul

Hi all  Talked to Charlie the other day and they are on the way back to  their home they hope to be flying back to the boat in a few days but they are safe and sound.  Hope to be  joining them myself sailing almost the same route,  Just thought you all might want to know.

Grime

They are back on Tehani now. We took them to the airport in Corpus Saturday evening to fly back. Charlie called from Dallas and we were still not home.

He call yesterday afternoon to let us know they were back on Tehani. FREEZING  They move over to a marina for the night to get the boat straight and get some quite need rest. Both were very tired from everything they had to do for family.

Gypsy Soul
When do you plan on leaving? We are planning on the the end of March or the fist part of April. We're doing the same route.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Gypsy Soul

With the tings going on right now Iam looking at about the same time.  :D  I am still on the hard in Rockport  :-\ but plan to be in the water around the first of Feb, check and sea trial a few items then off I go.  :) Would love to teavel in company,  What are your plan as to travel ICW / Gulf.  I have no time constrants so let me know.  If you wish to communicate other than this site my e-mail is flgypsysoul (at) gmail (dot) com

Edit: by S/V Faith to protect the email from the spam bots...
(they harvest email with internet searches to send spam too....)

(Well, that and they eat puppies and kittens on moldy bread with jam made of toe cheese...)

CharlieJ

Tehani is FINALLY on the move again  ;D

After six weeks tied to a dock, four while we were back in Texas, and two here in Fl whlle we FROZE, we dropped the lines today and headed out again. Made it back to Cayo Costa St park, two months to the day since. We first anchored here.

We are both SO glad to be on our own anchor again. Now to resume the southerly trip.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Gypsy Soul

Great to hear you are underway again.  Hope to be joining you soon.  Take care and keep us updated

newt

Catch some tuna for me off Marco Island....Man I wish I was there.

Grime

Will be glad when we can view sunsets like Charlie J and Laura are seeing. Hope they don't get the rains that we have been having the last 24 hours. 4.74 inches.

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Now anchored off Sanibel Island. Probably gonna head over to take a mooring at Ft Myers Beach tomorrow. Winds were pretty stiff today- we had a few gusts above 30, from the south, which is our direction. Pretty much offshore from here to Tortugas through the Ten Thousand Islands.

FINALLY warmed up enough to be without jackets today, but really really sad to see the hundreds and hundreds of dead fish from the freeze. The waters are still quite cold for Fl- in the 50's. Which of course is keeping the winds chilly. And NOT conducive to snorkling, for sure.

More later.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Leroy - Gulf 29

What do you mean not condusive to snorkling  ;D

newt

Quote from: CharlieJ on January 21, 2010, 06:08:09 PM
Now anBred off Sanibel Island. Probably gonna head over to take a mooring at Ft Myers Beach tomorrow. Winds were pretty stiff today- we had a few gusts above 30, from the south, which is our direction. Pretty much offshore from here to Tortugas through the Ten Thousand Islands.

Been there many times. You have good ports at Naples (although up the river a bit) and Marco Island (they actually are not that anit-crusier) I also like to hang around the 10K islands- there are some sheltered areas there- and good snorkling. The mooring balls in Ft. Myers are nothing to be excitied about. If you have a stiff north/south wind I would avoid them altogether. Ft. Myers beach is not Vience- I would keep going. Fantastic beaches in 10k islands.
If you have a strong southern wind- try waiting it out while on the beach in San. island, or go up the creek a bit around Ft. Myers.(The mooring balls cost 12 a night), instead you can head east  and into a little cove with a good muddy anchorage and fanstastic food just over (south) the highway bridge. A little tricky to get there, but much more protected.

CharlieJ

LOL @ Leroy.

Laura says" he's one of those Montana sheep boys. What else would you expect?"
;D ;D

Thanks for the info Newt. We just plan to stay in FT Myers Bch long enough for a grocery run and to hit a laundry. Right now waiting out this little front. Once we regrocery, we'll head on south.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera