From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Happy Birthyday, CJ (& L too, soon!) Looking happy at that table, and - although it's dark, I don't think that is quite a Shiner Bock? Well, I guess you can't have *everything* all at once. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Thanks CapnK. No, it isn't a Shiner Bock- it's a Yuengling. Pretty decent substitute, and made by the oldest brewery in the US. Same family owned for 175 years.

Thanks for remembering Laura's B'day too- it's on Thursday. She won't be as old as I am!! ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Hi Charlie & Laura, I have not posted for so long that I should probably reintroduce myself. Anyway, I have enjoyed your posts, photos, and following your cruise around the Gulf.

I got down to the area you have just been through a couple times and sailed a 30-foot S2 out of Clearwater in the late 70s. Was headed down again in 1980 with a friend to sail again when the boat, which had been up for sale, sold. Ended up making a land cruise to Key West instead, not long after the Mariel Boatlift had taken place. Almost caught a ride out to the Dry Tortugas then, but it didn't quite work out. Would like to get back down to the Keys and possibly out to the Tortugas sometime. 

Last night I was checking out the "before-and-after" photos of Tehani. Remarkable, the work you have done. Seems that the small boat aspect is enhanced when it's also a vintage boat that the owners have restored--saved--perhaps in your instance, and gone on to cruise in.

Great work. Looking forward to continuing to follow your progress. Grog to you. Fair winds.

Grime

Laura has done the entire Gulf Coast.

Feb. 13th got it this evening.
Good place to be during a squally frontal passage like last night!!

This won't send til we get somewhere with cell phone coverage- who knows?

Grin

Position reports.

The accepted end of US gulf coast. She was wearing two pairs of sox, long johns, jeans, t-shirt, hooded Sweat shirt, fleece hooded jacket and foul weather jacket. Plus the blanket- grin

We are SO tired of cold weather!!!

From what Charlie said they were well anchored with 2 anchors out when the squall hit. The wind put them over to 30 degrees but the anchors held.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Gypsy Soul

Way to go girl and you to Charlie.  March 1st is the launch date for 'Gypsy Soul' .Wish you safe sailing and hope you don't mind more wind cause it coming your way.  The last two nights have we experienced wind 20 to 30 knots with a few gusts to 50 here in Rockport and thats on the hard here at Hook and Bull.
Hope to see you guys soon.   
If you get time it would be great if  you to post your anchor way points and stop overs.   

Take guys we miss you

Richard
s/v Gypsy Soul

Oldrig

Congratulations Laura!

Nice wardrobe, too.

Keep sailing!

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

CJ/Laura    You're not alone with bad weather. I've had jeans,socks,fleece pullover and a jacket on WAY too long here. Front after front. Today was the first nice day in a while...another front moves in tomorrow. Boat next to me clocked a 52 knt gust friday night. Here's to hoping for T shirts and shorts....SOON  ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

bbqjerry

At least you guys are sailing. It is 3 degrees here with the wind chill and about 8 inches of new snow. The only water that is not frozen is...in the toilet. ???

Have fun. Enjoy reading about your adventure.

Jerry

Tim

You sure have not had the weather you expected (or should have had) here is hoping it starts getting better SOON!

Are you going in to take it out on Charles? ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Rainy, windy but warmer this morning. Sure glad we jumped from Flamingo yesterday. We had zero wind all day and motored for 46 miles in a flat calm gulf.  Butt Flamingo was fifty bucks a night so we'd have dropped another $100 had we stayed. No mooring balls open here and HUNDREDS of boats but we are snugly anchored. Moorings run $112 a week or $48 for dinghy dock and showers if anchored. Much cheaper :D

Thank goodness for Alfred(our tillerpilot) The only thing more boring than steering in open waters is steering in flat calm, out of sight of land, under power!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Auspicious

Quote from: bbqjerry on February 15, 2010, 10:24:32 PM
At least you guys are sailing. It is 3 degrees here with the wind chill and about 8 inches of new snow. The only water that is not frozen is...in the toilet. ???

I don't mind the cold or even the snow so much, but the ice on the creek has become a real irritation. I've got fuel enough for about three more weeks of heat before I either get to the fuel dock or start jugging. If I can get to the fuel dock I might as well go sailing afterwards.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Grime

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

And if you think she looks cold, you'd be right- she was. She bought that sweat shirt first ten minutes we were in Key West and except for the pic, had her jacket over it rest of the day.

This cold is beginning to be discouraging.

But it does beat working :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Been unseasonably cold down in Florida this winter. Blame the little spanish boy, El Ni?o... :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Tehani and crew are still kinda stuck in Boot Key Harbor, Marathon, Fl due to weather- it's been crummy.  Winds yesterday for example, were NW, 28, gusting 35. Not the sort of stuff you want to head north in . Or across the stream.

We decided that since we were stuck here we'd have all the income tax goop sent to us and get that over and done with. 

Also, we went to Key West, to the Customs Office to pre register for the Local Boaters Option which allows us to make a phone call when we come back from the Bahamas, rather than immediately having to taxi to the customs people for clearance. Still need to go,, but not immediately and crew can leave the boat Something to look into for anyone heading to the Bahamas.

Hopefully the weather will finally settle down by next week and we can move on up the keys. I sure hope so cause we are both tiring of just sitting here.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Gee, CJ - tell ya what - y'all come sit up HERE, and I'll go sit down THERE...

I'll leave y'all a list of clients who have work which needs to be done. You can leave me a list of where to find nice cold beers and fresh seafood...

I'll be sure to let you know when the weather gets better.

I'll even wait a bit and stay some extra, long enough to ensure that it won't relapse when you come back down... ;)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Hey-it's SUPPOSED to still be chilly up there. It ain't SUPPOSED to be this cold in the Keys (or the Bahamas- ask Frank)

We were told this is the 2nd coldest winter on record-EVER!!

Cold SUX!!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 04, 2010, 04:11:55 PMCold SUX!!!!

Grog.

QuoteDear beautiful Spring weather, I miss you.  Was it something I said? - 'Skipper' Kim Corbin
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Capt. Tony

Well, Charlie, it sure looks nice.  But I bet that sweatshirt took a 'bite' out of the cruising kitty if for no other reason just the fact that you needed one!  

Keep up the outstanding....uh...work, you two.

and YES cold sux!  nicely put.