From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

LOL. Thanks, but the sweat shirt was cheap. One of the first shops we walked past was selling everything inthe store-5 bucks. Why I didn't get myself one is beyond me- just didn't't think of it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

After a month and three days in Boot Key harbor, Tehani is once again underway. Currently under main and jib, sailing up the Keys on the outside. Woopee!!!

Destination Channel Five and then to the Florida Bay side. Plan is to sail to Angelfish Creek And wait a weather window to jump over to Bimini.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Fair Winds for the crossing kids if we don't hear from you.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Grime

For those keeping track of them. Channel Five can be found on chart 11449 and Anglefish Creek on chart 11451

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CapnK

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 18, 2010, 11:30:34 AM
After a month and three days in Boot Key harbor, Tehani is once again underway. Currently under main and jib, sailing up the Keys on the outside. Woopee!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

keelbolts

I must have seen Tehani then as I look at the  Boot Key Harbor webcam daily for escape.

Sigh...

Grime

Winds were aft of the beam and just right for sailing- infill we turned to come in here. Cloudy over, winds picked up and it was flippin COLD! not cool, not chilly- cold.

Average low for here normally is 69. This morning was 60. Nine degrees below average!!!

Got anchored, came below and wrapped in a blanket til we warmed up! Should mention- we both sailed all day wearing hooded jackets with the hoods UP.

This is getting very tiresome

Still beats working though!!!

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Grime

David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

CharlieJ

Warmed a bit today. Got all the way up to 69.

Ya know, it kinda sorta sux when it's colder in the Florida Keys, than it is in ONTARIO!!!

That second position is Blackwater Sound on the.  Florida Bay side of Key Largo. 300 yds off of the club where Bogie and Bacall filmed Key Largo.

They weren't there!! ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SV Wind Dancer

Did you check under the tables?

CharlieJ

As of this evening, Tehani is at anchorat Angelfish Creek, waiting for winds to carry her and crew to Bimini, Bahamas, less than 65 miles to our NE. We are hopeful that we can pull the hook around 0dark 30 Weds morning, if the winds come as forecast.

Will post more when possible.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

C-164

Have a pleasant crossing, guys. Enjoy Bimini harbor and I hope the fronts slow down now, it's about time. Just returned from a 3 month trip myself. C.J.'s deli, a nice and cheap place to eat reopened up along the beach. If you don't want to pay for a marina and the winds are strong there is good holding opposite the government dock next to the two little islands. It's a really cool feeling to yank your hook at night at Angelfish and head out into the big blue. If for some reason you need an alternative spot to drop your hook when you reach Bimini, then Nixon's Harbor under S. Bimini is a wide and safe entrance. Maybe a little rolly but safe and secure to get into to regroup. Stay safe and enjoy your trip.

nmwarren

Hi Charlie/Laura and everyone else.  We are in Bimini now at the charted anchorage north of the old Big Game Club...there is a lot of current but the holding is fine and it is not a bad anchorage.  We stayed our first night at Weechs marina.  It was $35 minimum but was pleasant enough and checking into customs was a breeze.  We were also able to was the boat down for free.  They didn't answer on the VHF when we arrived, but just head towards the marina and someone will come out to guide you into a slip.

Already been to CJs twice, hah.  We probably will be in the Bimini area until Friday waiting for weather to cross to the Berrys, so we'll definitely see you!  Though we may head out to do some exploring south of Bimini in the next few days.  Hope you have a good crossing.

CharlieJ

Hi Nick. We'll be looking for you. Weechs was our planned check in also.

Were planning to sail in the morning, but the forecast now is totally changed from the 0330 one. They've taken ALL the south out and replaced with East and NE. Now Thursday looks better.

Really difficult to plan when forecasts change so drastically within just a few hours. I'm still hoping for Weds though. We are going to be ready anyway.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Captain Smollett

Just read on another site that CJ and Laura have made it to Alice Town.  Looking forward to hearing about the crossing.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Yep, we are here. Long long sail and long long night on the banks. Laura is writing something up so I won't steal her thunder.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Congratulations to another happy landfall.

Where are you now? Bahamas?  :D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Frank

Grog to ya's.   Hope the crossing was good and things have warmed up.   Post a few pics when ya can   Have fun.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

More grogs for you both for "doin' it!"
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Mario G

Things seem to be going well, looking forward off Laura's report.  Enjoy yourselves.