From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Charlie & Laura, Best wishes for your friend's health, and for Laura's trip.

Mario G

Kuddos to Laura for being there and also to you Charlie its not everyone that has friends like you two. My thoughts are with you friend. Hope everything works out well for her. 

So you don't get board, i'll just ask a bunch of questions  so hopefully I can be where your at come December  Like when I put the mast back up on my Chrysler C-26 (Tailer sailer) how do I tune the rigging?  (I can't even carry a tune in a bucket so telling me what octive they should be won't help this tone deaf newbie ;D)  I'll move to another thread. 8)

CharlieJ

Hi folks. Still in Nassau, now anchored in the west anchorage. Laura should get back sometime thi.s week, I hope.

Spent 8 or 9 days anchored out at Rose Island, NE of the Nassau harbor about 7 miles or so. But it was getting boring, plus it's open to the SW and we are expecting 25-30 knots SW tonight. Nassau harbor is protected from the SW. Besides, I can wander around "old Nassau Town" even tho I'm not on the "sloop John B" :D :D

When Lauraa returns we expect to head for the Exumas.

Oh- another thing- now anchored along with Tura Lura. NMwarren on this board. That's the Compac 23 from our home dock ;D

Their blog is  sailingturalura.blogspot.com

More later and ya'll have fun.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 26, 2010, 10:43:03 AM

More later and ya'll have fun.

The same to you two!  She's almost on her way back now, isnt't she?  ;)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

CharlieJ

;D ;D

Gonna find out in just a few minutes.I sure hope so!!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

It's not that easy to relate to those Sloop John B lyrics..."I wanna go home, let me go home..." Being in the Bahamas seems like a nice problem to have.

I've been following Nick and Melissa aboard Tura Lura on their blog, and was beginning to wonder what happened to them since their previous post (until a few days ago) leaving Bimini for the Berry Island on March 25. I was about to ask if you or anyone had spotted them.

Enjoyed your photos from the Berry Islands. Breaks my heart to see that pile of conch shells... I bet you can get $10 each for those in tourist shops back in Key West.

Your friend must have been glad to have Laura visit and assist her. Hope that the trip went well.

Fair winds to the Exumas.

CharlieJ

YAHOOO!!! Laura flies back into Nassau this afternoon. We'll be on the move again soon- Exumas, here we come!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

See below for my CJ impression when he heard this news:

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Great figure Capt K.   Only thing missing is a ear to ear  G R I N !!!!!!!!!!   ;D ;) :o ::) :D

Have fun Kids   ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Howdy from Tehani-

We are anchored off a town known as Black Point Settlement, Great Guana Cay, Exumas. Got here yesterday after pounding into 25 knots and 3-5 foot seas from Staniel Cay. Much nicer here.

Black Point is the second largest community in the Exumas, after Georgetown. Ut still ain't all that big!!!

We'll be here fro a few days- the winds have been howling for 5 days and are forecast to continue through Tuesday. will try to post some pics in the next day or so.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Look forward to pics CJ.  Have fun out there.

CharlieJ

Just made a long post on TSBB- lots of pics. Too many to redo so here's the link

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/743661
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Nice pics...thanks. I'm sure all of us are envious right now. Nice to see you safe below keeping the camera dry in the rough stuff   ;D   Tuff job, but someones gotta do it. Have fun you 2

Jim_ME

Great photos! Interesting staircase--and that slavery ended there 30 years before it did here.

Yup that does look like a little wet sailing there... What a trooper.

CapnK

Staniel? Did you guys get to meet the much-fabled-but-rarely-seen Pixie Dust? If not, @Staniel you were within 1/2 or maybe 1 mile at most of her. And that crazy lady owner Ms. Bligh, too. ;D Sampson Key, across the little bay to the N. of Staniel - other side of that island - you could have dinghied over and walked up the airstrip from the beach there, there's a footpath. :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=24.210647,-76.473534&spn=0.00955,0.029311&t=h&z=16

Now ya know. :)

Great pics. Laura needed a shower! (OK, maybe not just then...)

Lovely - inspirational - to see y'all out there, Doin' It! ;D

I know it's a lot to ask, but - Keep up the good work!  ;) ;D ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

NO, we didn't see Pixie Dust, Nor Connie. Probably because we had no idea she was at Staniel. We'll be back there in a day or so. and if a certain CaptK willl finally give us some info on how to contact her, we will.

He was supposed to email contact info ;) ;) ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Ouch!  :D My impression was that y'all were in touch already - I'd sent her y'alls email address, she responded on April 9 with:

QuoteI just emailed Charlie and Laura trying to find them.

I wrote her back on that same day:

QuoteCJ & L are over there, I think maybe headed your way - more specifics on their position later, I haven't been able to read sailFar or TSBB in the past week so I don't know exactly where they are or what their plans are.

and 2 days later with:

QuoteWRT CJ&L, they posted the following on the TSBB:

"...we are anchored off Frazer Hog key, at the Berry Islands."

...and L is going back to Texas for a couple days to 'help a friend',
while CJ stays @ boat.

Let me know what your plans are, and when you will be back at your
Cay, and I will pass that along to them.

After that, I have not corresponded directly from her. She forwarded a couple emails from the Georgetown Regatta on May 3, and since then there has only been radio silence.

I'll PM her email address to you; she doesn't use the phone over there ($$$). Email for her is intermittent at times. But Sampson has an airstrip, & on the E side of the airstrip to the northern part of the island is the maintenance sheds, hangers, and the docks where they keep the boats. There is a good channel over there, you could go right up to their docks and introduce yourselves. ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

We missed Connie. Found her place, but she was in the US.

Just made two picture posts on TSBB- link-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/745283

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi/read/745298
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Back in Nassau, US bound. We sailed over to Eleuthera, spent some time there, then decided to head on back stateside. Probably spend one day here, (Or not :D) We'll be out of internet range most likely till then.

Then looks like we'll cruise up the east coast-Captk and Smollet- look fer us ;D ;D 
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Have a safe crossing. I'm sure Capt K and Capt S will be looking forward to seeing you 2. Take lots of rum for Capt K   ;)