From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Give me a holler when you get back to de States, mon! I know y'all probably don't want to leave the islands, but then again, there are those pesky little cyclonic weather patterns that start cropping up this time of year... ;)

Looking forward to seeing y'all, checking out yer charts and hearing some stories!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Back in the USA. Cleared customs and all. Anchored
off Key Biscayne for this evening. More when I can use the laptop, but we'll be wandering up the coast soon.

Oh- and NOAA STILL can't get it right. Forecast today was East winds. We crossed the Gulf Stream in NW, N and NE winds. Sitting here in E and NE winds listening to them STILL say SE!!!

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Glad you're back across safely. Now that you's 2 are closer to services.....pics and stories please ... inquiring minds want to know...and see  ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Will try.

For now, anchored JUST inside the jetties at Hillsborugh Inlet, above Ft Lauderdale. We had our best sail of the season today, from Miami to here-roughly 30 miles. Around 5+ knots under main and genny on a reach. Plan is to jump back outside in the morning for another 30 miles up to Lake Worth Inlet. Attempting to dodge the concrete canyon of Miami Beach, Lauderdale, Pompano, etc, with the 30 some odd timed bridges!!!

I've been through there on a sailboat once-once is enough-grin.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Have a great sail. Lake Worth is a super easy entrance day or night. I usually anchor just in front of peanut island...you'll see a few boats there and dingy around to the city marina. Nice Tiki bar, reasonable prices on food and usually a guy playing guitar and singing. It used to be a dump, but its quite nice now. Makes for an easy exit. PS..the nieghbourhood declines rapidly once beyond city marina...don't venture out after dark.

CharlieJ

Thanks.  It was around 1300 wnhen we got there- too hot to stop. We
ran on up to anchor at the very north end of Lake Worth. Dingied ashore and walked to the Publix a block away.

Oh by the way- Laura wants to know what is "the front" of a round island???
;D ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Glad you's are in. Hope ya had a great sail up the coast. Good question about a round island  ;D...I call the 'front' the part closest to the harbour entrance...'fronting' on the ocean. I'm sure there's a proper name for it but beats me. Have fun kids

CharlieJ

At the moment we are on a mooring in Stuart, Fl. Sunset Harbor Marina. Nice place-$10 per night, showers, free wifi ON the mooring. Nice little town. I think we are gonna spend a few days here, just slowing down. We've been on the move for quite a while. Need to do some boat maintenance and this seems like a good place.'
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Sliding along northward up the Indian River toward Vero Beach Fl, under our genny. Motor not used most of yesterday and all of today, once we cleared the first bridge.

Just got passed by a gaff rigged Flicka. Neat looking. He claimed he was cheating since he was motor sailing. Told us he had recently come trans-Atlantic. Laura says she doesn't want to cross the Atlantic in a 20 foot boat!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

luckettg

Charlie,
I am slow in the head, I know, but I just remembered and found the link to this site again, then had to discover again that I was already a registered member. I think I need some coffee. ;D

Edith and I have been wondering about how you and Laura have been doing.  It is good to know you all are doing well.  I am going to start reading your thread to catch since Nov09.
Greg.

Greg Luckett
StJoMI
Lake Michigan Sailor

CharlieJ

Hi Greg- good to hear from you again. Those boys must be big enough to sail boats of their own now;)

Yeah, we're having fun. Anchored in Cocoa, fl at the moment, waiting out the holiday boating madness-grin.

Keep in touch
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

luckettg

I am thinking that as you move north that you might make the mess about at Graham & Carla's in October.  Just a thought.

You are correct. Those two boys are grown into young men now and both sail on their own.  Sam is like running into a brick wall and plays football at the high school this year after playing at the Middle School for 3 years. Ben is taller than me now but not as stout as Sam.  He likes baseball.  They have outgrown Dragon and are discussing selling her. I, being a sentimental dad, want to keep her around a bit longer.  There are grand children that might enjoy being Vikings...LOL.

We made another trip to Texas last June. Both of my parents' health is failing. Not much time for anything else while there but I am looking forward to the day when I can sail off with Edith and enjoy some adventures together as you and Laura have done.
Your friend,
Greg.
Greg Luckett
StJoMI
Lake Michigan Sailor

CharlieJ

One year ago today, (and over 2900 miles ago) I handed Laura the last dock line and she backed Tehani out of the slip to begin this cruise.

It's been an interesting year!! Some not so good days, but mostly a great trip.

We are currently nearing the island where I built my trimaran a lotta years ago. We'll stay there a few days visiting kids and grand kids, then on into Georgia.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Laura posted this on TSBB. I thought folks here might enjoy it-

"Marking an anniversary
Once the center of activity for daring individuals building boats that would take them on adventures across the sea, the island at Pablo Creek is now quiet. All that remains is a couple of trees, some scrub brush and a realtor's sign. Charlie built his trimaran here thirty years ago. As he watches from the bow I wonder if his dream has finally been fulfilled. Was that opportunity lost? Did this one make up for it? I don't know.

It has been one year and 2937 miles since I sailed Tehani out of her slip in Port Lavaca. This adventure has been more than I ever dreamed. We have motored miles and miles on the ICW through wilderness, small communities, bustling ports and big cities. We had a perfect moonlight sail across the Gulf of Mexico then bashed our way across the Gulf Stream in the Straits of Florida. We sailed the Great Bahama Bank, the Tongue of the Ocean and Exuma Sound. We faced narrow inlets, powerful currents and cresting seas, anchored over fields of starfish and under a blanket of stars. We shared stories with other sailors, met up with old friends and made new ones.

Tonight I try to think of a better way I could have spent the past year and that is pretty tough. I really don't know why traveling this way makes life extraordinary but just mention freedom and adventure to someone and you will see the human spirit rise with a smile and sparkle in the eye. Yes, it's been a good year.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Oldrig

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

CapnK

{golf_clap}

Really nice, L! Neat train of thought...

Congrats to Tehani and Crew on their first year of voyaging! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 14, 2010, 07:08:09 PM

"Marking an anniversary
Once the center of activity for daring individuals building boats that would take them on adventures across the sea, the island at Pablo Creek is now quiet. All that remains is a couple of trees, some scrub brush and a realtor's sign. Charlie built his trimaran here thirty years ago. As he watches from the bow I wonder if his dream has finally been fulfilled. Was that opportunity lost? Did this one make up for it? I don't know.

It has been one year and 2937 miles since I sailed Tehani out of her slip in Port Lavaca. This adventure has been more than I ever dreamed. We have motored miles and miles on the ICW through wilderness, small communities, bustling ports and big cities. We had a perfect moonlight sail across the Gulf of Mexico then bashed our way across the Gulf Stream in the Straits of Florida. We sailed the Great Bahama Bank, the Tongue of the Ocean and Exuma Sound. We faced narrow inlets, powerful currents and cresting seas, anchored over fields of starfish and under a blanket of stars. We shared stories with other sailors, met up with old friends and made new ones.

Tonight I try to think of a better way I could have spent the past year and that is pretty tough. I really don't know why traveling this way makes life extraordinary but just mention freedom and adventure to someone and you will see the human spirit rise with a smile and sparkle in the eye. Yes, it's been a good year.

Good stuff !! Grog to ya's

Jim_ME

Happy anniversary. May you have many more. Appreciate you sharing your cruise and experiences.

maxiSwede

Quote from: Frank on July 15, 2010, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: CharlieJ on July 14, 2010, 07:08:09 PM

"Marking an anniversary

Good stuff !! Grog to ya's

Very well expressed!!!!   ;D
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

Jeremy