From Tehani - out cruising

Started by CharlieJ, July 13, 2009, 11:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_ME

Forgot that I was trying to tempt you to visit Maine. Telling you how cold it was may not be helping my cause much...?

It actually only got down to 39 the other night and is forecast to be in the 80s for several days (way too hot!) with overnight lows in the 50s and 60s...  ;)

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

On the topic of weather, I've been watching the news about the tragic flooding in Texas, including in Houston...

Wishing a speedy recovery to the area, and especially to any of your family and friends that may have been affected. Also hope that all is well with your house, the homestead, and property, Charlie.

CharlieJ

Talked to sister, son, stepson yesterday. Three seperate cities. All doing fine as is my house. The country property is in question but nothing nearby to seriously flood although I bet the pond is overflowing

Several sections of interstate closed including I10 thriugh Houston. Probably open again now

Some 30 unaccounted for in Blanco and San Marcos rivers watersheds

And they have more comiing. Really a disaster over there. Last count 39 counties declared disaster areas
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on May 27, 2015, 08:04:56 AM
Talked to sister, son, stepson yesterday. Three seperate cities. All doing fine as is my house.
Good to hear, Charlie.

I see from the weather map that you have some storms passing through your location, too. Hope that you and Tehani are riding them out all right.

CharlieJ

Tucked into a tight little marina with a bulkhead just fifty feet aft. Down a longish canal. Aint much can happpen in here.

I'll be leaving the boat here for my trip back to Texas next week for the grandson's graduation. Couldn't find a better spot

Andso far all that has happened here is rain. Sometimes heavy but no winds
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

You are at/in the P-cola area still, right? Have any Craig sightings yet? :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Talked to him. He's in California doing boat work
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

He's such an industrious young fella... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Jim_ME

As I hear the sad news about the flooding and loss of life in Texas, a new (to me) beautiful mournful version of this old familiar song (that I heard for the first time only a couple weeks ago) comes to mind...

The song Galveston made famous by Glen Campbell
Sung by its writer Jimmy Webb and featuring Lucinda Williams
from his album Just Across the River

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bK8wU47BUk 

CharlieJ

Spent the day yesterday with another Sailfar'r.

Bruce and his lovely wife Nancy (of SnapDragon) Picked me up yesterday morning and we drove out tom their place in Milton. Delightful home and grounds, with many bird, lots of squirrels. Oh and many deer apparently. Nancy was a tad irritated because the deer had eaten the roses off one of her plants.

I had the chance to visit SnapDragon, and look over some of the projects Bruce has underway for her. SnapDragon is a twin keeler by the way

I had first met them when I was bringing Tehani back from the Chesapeake in Dec 2011.

A thoroughly relaxing day with excellent company.

Today I've sat and watched it rain most of the day
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Glad to learn that you had a good visit, Charlie. It's encouraging to hear about fellow SailFarers getting together, when one or both are out cruising. I was glad to meet John when he trailer-sailed up here to Maine with his family.

Taking your good advice to thin out the fleet some, I have sold my Snapdragon 26 to a friend in town. A very worthy project, but am realizing how I just have too many of them. Time is passing too quickly and I'm getting old. Nice thing about selling it to a friend is that I may get to sail on her yet...and probably sooner. :)

It's been raining up here the past few days, too. Not too bad, but it sure makes the lawn grow fast. Plus...now I go more to mow with that boat gone! ;) 

Cruiser2B

CharlieJ,

Was enjoying the updates on your journey across the Gulf coast ICW, any progress to report?
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

CharlieJ

Quote from: Cruiser2B on June 15, 2015, 07:04:49 PM
CharlieJ,

Was enjoying the updates on your journey across the Gulf coast ICW, any progress to report?

Arrived for BEER Cruise. Been here for it. I'll do some
updates tomorrow.  Just got back on boat from beach party. It's bedtime   Grin
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Sorry for the long gap. Little wifi and no battery in computer. Still in Pensacola- plan  to begin the return to home on Monday.

BEER was fun. Here's a link to a video taken with a drone from one of the boats. At the anchorage shown, all of those boats were in attendance, including three trailered down from Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ViPQFWsjPk
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Great to hear from you Charlie, and that you had fun at BEER!  :)

That is a cool video with a couple good songs that are new to me as its soundtrack. Interesting to get the birds/drone's-eye view of the boats anchored near shore...beautiful.

I've captured a couple images of Tehani from the video...

Have a happy 4th of July holiday, and fair winds for you trip home.  :)

Cyric30

Any idea on how many boat there where this year ???

CharlieJ

I think the final count was 47
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

And interesting little fact ;D

Not counting any sailing around home-JUST out cruising, since she was relaunched after the rebuild with todays run (in Louisiana heading home) Tehani has put slightly over eleven thousand miles under her keel !!!!

Yep- 11,000 miles

And another 8 travel days before home port  :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Sooner

Hey Charlie - are you getting close to Texas yet?
sent you a pm
Jim
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank