LiveAboard Marinas On Gulf Coast?

Started by Cpt2Be, August 23, 2009, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpt2Be

I have googled until my eyes have started twitching but can't find anything but either dead links or outdated info.

Anyone know of a center of knowledge on the subject.

Only real requirement is that they allow work on the boat in the marina.
(between Miami & The Keys)

Chattcatdaddy

Marathon , FL has a few live-a-board marinas. Sombrero Dockside http://keysy.com/dockside/ to start you out. In fact most marinas in the Keys allow live-a-boards.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Cpt2Be

Thanks!

I'll give them a calll tomorrow.

Frank

Not sure if this is the norm...but I found marinas in the keys more money than northern Florida. I kept a boat at Mangrove Marina just n of Islemoreta Key  (sp?) for a few years. Nice place but a few miles to get 'outside'.There is a little resteraunt across the road and a plaza with a grocery store,liqour store,theater etc just a block or 2 south .There used to be a guy beside the marina that sold bikes for $20 and when you moved on in a month or three, he would buy them back for $10. Good news is it was fairly close to the Larelei  bar

http://www.harborguides.com/marinas.php?ID=590&MarinaName=Mangrove%20Marina&City=Tavernier&State=FL

http://www.merchantcircle.com/business/Mangrove.Marina.305-852-8380

http://www.loreleifloridakeys.com/

If you get down there...snchor out from the Lorelei and dingy in just before sunset. Always live music and beautiful sunsets across the bay. It got destroyed in 04 by hurricane but they rebuilt it almost like the original.Great spot.I got initiated to Jägermeister there. Watched many sunsets with Judy on that rear deck

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Cpt2Be

Yeah we just wish we had a better idea of where Adina (wifey) will be working. That would narrow it down quicker but she needs to find employment before we pick a place.

really, I'm in Chicago  :'( anyplace in Florida is going to be better  :D

Shipscarver

Quotelive-a-board marinas. Sombrero Dockside

If you have a 50 footer and $150,000 for a slip it's a steal! :o
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: Shipscarver on August 24, 2009, 10:38:38 PM
Quotelive-a-board marinas. Sombrero Dockside

If you have a 50 footer and $150,000 for a slip it's a steal! :o

Yeah I guess times have changed since I had my Cal 29 at Sombrero Dockside. Looks like they have gone the way of Dockominiums.
Keith
International Man of Leisure

s/v necessity

I've been curious about the live aboard thing in the past, and I noticed that there is little info out there.  Then a couple of years ago while on vacation I walked about and checked on some marinas (in the SF bay area) and I finally figured out something kind of cool.  Most marinas are tight lipped about live aboard, and often so are the residents.  They wont really discuss it much unless you are there in person. (one marina said the defacto statement given on the phone was "NO" or "Not anymore")
    They want to control "what kind" of people live in their marinas...   (and what kind of boats too) So don't get too discouraged if you are researching the subject via the internet or phone. Much of what is said can be discouraging.  Many marinas will "look the other way"  if they "like you."  A weekend of walking about with some expensive clothes and a good story (pictures of our boat too) got us the the thumbs up from a couple of harbor masters...  One marina had a 35' minimum, we were told they could probably make and exception for us.  You wont get that to happen on the phone.

Or to put it another way, many marinas fear "trailer trash", and are wary until they determine you are NOT.  Perfect example of a discriminatory process...

Cpt2Be

Quote from: s/v necessity on August 25, 2009, 09:10:08 AM
I've been curious about the live aboard thing in the past, and I noticed that there is little info out there.  Then a couple of years ago while on vacation I walked about and checked on some marinas (in the SF bay area) and I finally figured out something kind of cool.  Most marinas are tight lipped about live aboard, and often so are the residents.  They wont really discuss it much unless you are there in person. (one marina said the defacto statement given on the phone was "NO" or "Not anymore")
   They want to control "what kind" of people live in their marinas...   (and what kind of boats too) So don't get too discouraged if you are researching the subject via the internet or phone. Much of what is said can be discouraging.  Many marinas will "look the other way"  if they "like you."  A weekend of walking about with some expensive clothes and a good story (pictures of our boat too) got us the the thumbs up from a couple of harbor masters...  One marina had a 35' minimum, we were told they could probably make and exception for us.  You wont get that to happen on the phone.

Or to put it another way, many marinas fear "trailer trash", and are wary until they determine you are NOT.  Perfect example of a discriminatory process...

Well, we might just have a problem then. We are both covered in tattoos (VERY COVERED)  ;D
Not trailer trash but we are discriminated against regularly for it (I know thats our fault for our choices) but this is what I feared to be the case with marinas. I guess I will take a trip down this winter to a few before we buy our boat then.

Cpt2Be

Texas is now a possibility as well.

I guess location in the U.S. doesn't really matter to us as long as it's safe. It is only a place to shore up and outfit whatever we do buy before we leave anyway.

But still any SailFar members out there that have any advice or specific Marina recomendations anywhere on the Gulf Coast please let us know.

Auspicious

Grog to s/v necessity for a very accurate portrayal of life as a liveaboard. I spent two years as the only liveaboard in a nice marina in Annapolis by making an appointment with the dockmaster for drinks and showing up in a suit. Have you ever docked your boat at the bulkhead of a marina restaurant while wearing a suit?

Rob could see me and visit the boat and get an understanding of who I am.

We agreed that given my travel schedule I was a frequent user and not a liveaboard per se. Promising not to have mail delivered to the marina was the closer.

My current facility only really cares that I don't park in the wrong place and pay my bill a year in advance.

If you can clean up nicely and behave in accordance with Emily Post your options increase. If you can't or won't then you have fewer choices.

Your area and experience may be different. This is mine.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Tim

Quote from: Cpt2Be on August 25, 2009, 11:35:19 AM
Texas is now a possibility as well.

I guess location in the U.S. doesn't really matter to us as long as it's safe. It is only a place to shore up and outfit whatever we do buy before we leave anyway.

But still any SailFar members out there that have any advice or specific Marina recomendations anywhere on the Gulf Coast please let us know.

There are a couple of Texas Gulf coasters that may not reply immediately (Grime is gone for a few days and Charlie is ..."on the water" ;) ) but be patient. there may be others also.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Piraten

Regatta Pointe Marina
Palmetto, Fl.

1800-257-6020

They had slips for biggin' and smallin' 3 weeks ago and they cater to live aboards.

Side note:
If you claim "cruiser" status, you can stay for QUITE AWHILE if the marinas like you- wink wink.
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

Piraten

Also, I heard (but have not found them) that somewhere near Clearwater, Fl. there are two marinas that are right next to eachother.  You swap every three months and you are in a rotation with another live aboarder- um I mean cruiser ;)
If it floats, it's a boat.  If it sinks, it's a reef
S/V Obsidian
1976 Irwin 28

CharlieJ

City marina in Rockport allows live aboard. As does City marima in Port Lavaca. In fact the harbormaster there caters to liveaboards. The marina is called Nautical Landings and has a website.

Serendipity in Palacios

Several in the Galveston area as well.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cpt2Be

That's a great start, I am going to give them all a look. Since we are going budget style Texas seem to be much less expensive. Again we aren't looking to make a marina our home but we do need a place to repair and haul.

Thanks again for all the help and if you have any more suggestions please let us know

Greg

Gerald A. Gotts

I can add one more Marina to the list.  Petes Pier in Crystal River, Fl.  It is a bit old and kind of run down but not too bad and the people who live there are very friendly.  Our Mayor  lives on his boat .  I wish I could give you prices but  I don't know how much they charge.  I have a 27 Bristol and I pay $250.00 incl. elec. and water.  There are showers and public toilets but not many other amenities.

BTW The marina is on fresh water with Manatees and dolphins every day and the fishing is good.  Good restaurants and bars in the area.

Good Luck
Now..............bring me that horizon

- Jack Sparrow

CharlieJ

Fees in Nautical landings are $3 a foot plus a reasonable live aboard fee plus electric. I KNOW they have two sliPs open cause two of us are  cruising.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

TritonSkipper

I know Marathon, FL has been mentioned, but their city marina has some bargains for a mooring ball.  Url Below:

Mooring

Dockage

Anchorages

Hope that helps, God knows I need to start contributing around here.

Jeff
1960 Pearson Triton Hull #194
What the boat wants, The boat gets.
"If one does not know to which port is sailing, no wind is favorable."

Cpt2Be

Quote from: TritonSkipper on August 31, 2009, 09:29:34 AM
I know Marathon, FL has been mentioned, but their city marina has some bargains for a mooring ball.  Url Below:

Mooring

Dockage

Anchorages

Hope that helps, God knows I need to start contributing around here.

Jeff

Those are good rates. Thanks everbody for pointing me in A direction.