Living the dream...it's about "choices"

Started by Frank, September 24, 2009, 07:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I just recieved an update from Connie. As I started to read it I couldnt help but think about her "journey". She had a dream...but she also had the security of a well established job and the comfort of a home she had owned for 18 yrs. She has children. Read that again..... For her to "live the dream" meant quiting her job,selling her longtime home and distancing herself from family. How many women...or men for that matter would actually have the courage to make the "choice".....to actually do it ?  I clearly remember speaking to her about cruising, about her fears..not just of the unknowns of a voyage but the unknowns of changing a lifestyle. Of taking that leap of faith into the unknown. That was years ago now.She up and done it....she's still doing it. In her last few sentances she states "life is good...my cup runnith over". Hats off to ya 'girl !!!! As I look at her pictures it is obvious the 'little girl' is alive and well. Keep havin fun Connie.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

nowell

I'm definitely jealous! Tell her we all said hey! Share pictures if its ok with her and you, would love to see the life she has created for herself down there!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

AdriftAtSea

Good to hear she's doing well...say hi to her for us all..
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shipscarver

Glad to hear she is doing well. And, let's see some of those pic's!
Give her a shot and see if she will start updating the Board on her life
"The People Want To Know!."
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

Frank

I responded that "pics are asked for". ;)   I'm assuming that wifi is intermitant for her.

Frank

Just got another e-mail from Connie. WIFI is iffy most of the time. I just have to share her closing line...... "Man, I am happy Frank.  I love my life.  :)" ......How many of us can truly say that ?   ;)

Frank

Just finished a quick visit with a young (23yr old) couple on an older 9.5 M Swedish designed boat. Didn't have lots of time but the quick version is "both got two jobs-bought boat-paid for boat-saved money-left France-crossed the pond-currently at Manjack-heading to Turks,Cacos and beyond-heading home by end of may(hurricane season starting).  I simply love those stories. Here's a young couple workin,saving and following their heart instead of what society programs us to do.

Godot

My new plan is evolving.  New boat, move on to boat to save money, pay off boat, save money, leave.

Plans are being put in motion right now.  I don't have a time table yet; but I'm hoping we aren't talking the typical "five year plan."  I wanna go!!!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Oldrig

Adam,

Keep us posted on this new plan.

There are lots of used boats out there. Some would probably make comfortable liveaboard vessels and, with a little "sweat equity," could become boats capable of fulfilling your dream.

Best of luck!

--Joe

(And enjoy that Scoot home with Dave, too.)
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Pappy Jack

That's the spirit Adam. I'm glad to hear that you're moving ahead in a positive direction.

Just remember what Melville said at the beginning of "Moby Dick","Whenever I find myself growing grim...whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul...I account it high time to go to sea as soon as I can."

Fair winds and full sails,

Pappy Jack

ThistleCap

Adam, I'm excited for you, and glad you're moving forward.   I wish you the best.
Jim
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.