News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Abacos 09/10

Started by Frank, November 21, 2009, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Sitting below in Black Sound. Still fairly hot here.Landed tuesday,scrubbed teak,washed decks,did the SS, sails-dodger on and I'm nearly done. Need to organize below and stock up. Great to see the blue-green water again.  "all good" as they say on the island.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

Let us know how Manjack Cay is.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

Been up to Manjack....very quiet. Everyone is away and only two boats anchored by Bill/Leslie's
It rained a lot...the grass is nearly four ft high. Still very hot here. Too hot for a guy from north Ontario
Very slow...only two boats at the green turtle club, black sound is only local boats yet.I was at marsh harbour yesterday....maybe six boats. Should pick up for thanks giving. Seas have been very calm since I landed. Winter winds are'nt here yet.

Lynx

I hope you find someplace to spend USA thanksgiving. This front may be interesting. Pete's pub if they are open or ???

Send some pic's.

Take care. Don't swim in the pool alone in Black Water Sound Green Turtle Cay.
MacGregor 26M

Frank

Thanks Giving will be a big meal with Violet and Smitty at the "blue bee" bar.They opened the dining room last year.Smitty loves to cook...Violet loves to serve "GumBay smashs"  ::)  I can't believe how quiet it is....very few cruisers so far.

Lynx

Enjoy the quite while it last. Soon you will have pleanty of boats around. Cold up north and people need someplace warm and cheept to spend the winter.

Take care and post some pics when you can.
MacGregor 26M

Captain Smollett

Hey Frank,

Be on the lookout for a 42 ft Catamaran with a couple and six (6!) children aboard.

They left our marina this morning, heading for the DR via the Islands.  I'm not sure where they will hit enroute to the DR, but you won't miss 'em if you see 'em.

Really nice family; we met them earlier this summer then they stopped here on their way back south.  Oh yeah, they are Canadians.  ;)

I'll PM you with some of their personal info.

--JR
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

Lynx....was at Marsh Harbour yesterday and that ole beat-up Tri is still anchored in behind the Moorings.
PS...'me dumb'...left my camera in the glove box back in Ft Lauderdale. Judy fly's in around Dec 10th...pics then
PSS...just back from talking to a fellow out cruising with his daughter on a 26fter. Both very happy. Small boat-big adventure

Frank

Couple of notes: november is WAY calmer than winter here
                          cruisers are just now starting to arrive
                          New Plymouth looks great with Christmas lights up
                          cold front is here....down to 77 today....burrrrrrr
                          I love it here
                          Cottage is coming along well
                          Had dolphins swim by while fueling up today
                          saw four sharks in the lagoon
                          there has been a 23, 3-25's and a 26fter arrive so far (so much for needing a big boat)
                          Flying home for Christmas next week
                          did I mention I love it here  

PS...2 of the 25's were C&C's    They are GREAT sailing boats. Their owners loved them

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on December 11, 2009, 04:40:31 PM

Couple of notes:
                          cold front is here....down to 77 today....burrrrrrr

Hmmm....low 20's here tonight.  Didn't get above 37 today.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

nowell

If any Vega's pass through I demand pictures and stories!!

Please and thank you  ;D
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Frank

Here is one from a couple of years ago. A very young couple restored it themselves and were working their way thru the Carribean. It was later seen by a member in St Thomas or there abouts. This pic is in Hope Town Abacos....Nice kids by the way...mid twenties

Chattcatdaddy

Quote from: Frank on December 11, 2009, 04:40:31 PM
Couple of notes: november is WAY calmer than winter here

When does the winds start to increase in the Bahamas?

Best months to cruise?
Keith
International Man of Leisure

Frank

Depends what you want? Winter see's many fronts....often back to back with 20 to 30 knot winds not uncommon. Reefing is GOOD :o :o  I have a nylon 150 for light days...never used.  Main AND jib are often reefed. Temps are still very good but not crazy humid/hot like summer and the bugs are'nt near as bad. We generally sleep with the hatchs open during winter months and its fine. The wind is always clocking so if you are patient there will be good sailing to your next place. No set schedule is good. I found november had very light winds and calm conditions.It was much warmer and more humid. The bugs were out more as well.
  I have not spent time here early other than this year.If this was normal...I would say the winds start to increase about now. This week has had consistantly more wind than november.
PS...Lynx or Faith...chime in at will here

Frank

Just landed back home for Christmas. Left temps in the 80's....landed to -17 cel. and a foot of snow. Took 10 minutes to scrape ice off Judy's windshield at the airport park-n-fly. Sure is a shock after wearing shorts for 4 weeks  :o There was a signifigant front moving in as we left. I'm sure Dave will experience at least part of it. Calling for 3 days of 20 to 30knt winds.
Back home here I'm looking forward to family time and friends the next 2 weeks....then back down again. Hope to see some of the members over there.

Auspicious

Thunderstorms forecast for today - if winds come around to the NW tomorrow as forecast the front will be past and we'll head across the Yellow Banks to Allan's Cay.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Greenman

Frank, I hope you had (are having) an excellent visit home, I am very much looking forwards to reading more about your adventure and seeing some of the world you live in through your camera lense.

Have a fantastic New Years.
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

Auspicious

Frank - Are you back in the Abacos yet?
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Frank

Happy new year to all.  I'm flying back on thursday and will remember my camera this time  ;D

Greenman...not too much adventuring this year as my focus is building our cottage on Manjack.
We've been up and down the Abacos several times but always seemed to feel "at home" in this
erea. I'm afraid to say the boat is a 'floating trailer' as we work on the cottage.

Frank

Funny what a few weeks do....the water is noticably cooler and calling for near gale force winds this weekend thru to monday night. Yep....winter has arrived.Still great to be back.