News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Early Scoot

Started by Auspicious, November 28, 2009, 03:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

My Scoot will start a little earlier than planned. Next Tuesday to be precise. *grin*

I'm leaving Annapolis Tuesday with a crew of three to sail offshore to Green Turtle Cay. We'll cross the Gulf Stream directly off the mouth of the Chesapeake and then turn right. I'll drop my crew off in Marsh Harbour and then single-hand around the Abacos for a bit before settling in Spanish Wells for a few days. Janet is flying in to meet me in Nassau on the 17th. We're going to spend a couple of weeks working our way down the Exumas.

Return crew is flying into George Town -- including one SailFar mystery guest who can identify himself when and as he pleases -- and we'll head back offshore from there. This trip will be Janet's first offshore passage: 5 - 7 days from Bahamas to Norfolk and on to Annapolis.

Things are a little crazy now with last minute provisioning and cleaning.

I don't know what this means for me in April. Events came together for Janet to be able to join me now, so now is when I'm going.

sail fast and eat well, dave
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Auspicious

Loading provisions today - not sure it will all fit!
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

jotruk

Best of luck to you as you prepare, I know that more than one person here wishes that it was them getting ready to go,
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Godot

Mystery solved.  Tickets are confirmed.  I'll be there.

A little nervous about keeping warm.  Bahamas dress is simple enough.  It's gonna be winter time, though.  My foul weather gear is Ronstan inshore/coastal stuff.  I'm wondering if I need to upgrade.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

If every thing happens as planned, we'll be IN the Bahamas already when Scoot occurs. Gonna attempt to connect.

Godoy - iI would imagine your Ronstan stuff will be mor than adequate for the Bahamas. That's about the level we have.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Bahamas dress........1 pair of crocs,5 T shirts, 5 shorts, 1 sweat shirt and jeans (just in case) on 5th day wash shorts and T's in salt water,rinse with a spay of fresh water, hang on lifelines  ;)
I don't 'think' you need more foulweather gear. A sweat shirt under
rain gear in wind is fairly warm but I'm not familiar with temps where you're leaving from.
Have a fun, safe crossing. Hope to see you's here

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Oldrig

Adam,

Best of luck!
You're just the man for the job.
(Dave sent me an invite, too, but I couldn't possibly make the schedule--and you've got many more reasons to make the Early Scoot.)

Keep us posted. (Also, let us know how your plan to "buy a boat, live aboard, pay off boat and leave" progresses.)

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Godot

Ok.  Misinterpretation.  I'm NOT concerned about dressing in the Bahamas.  Heck, I'll likely only be there for a day or two. I'm concerned about the sail to Annapolis.  Offshore.  In January.  I'm guessing it ain't gonna be 80 degrees the whole way.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CharlieJ

Frank- one point. Well, two really

I find Tee shirts to be too hot. I prefer button up shirts.

Second- Laura washes with fresh water, often with melt water
from ice chest, with some ammonia added. Takes little or no rinsing, no smell lingers, and no salt to get rid of. Give it a try
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Adam....just pulled out a map...yep, thats up there for january. I'd be packin wool . Charleston can be cool (cold) that time of year way south of MD. I see your concern.
Good news is the gulfstream is warm once you're in it. Watch the water temp go from 50's to low 70's .  Air gets warmer too
 CJ....I only wear button shirts at weddings and funerals  :o  but I can see how a loose fitting one would be cooler

Godot

BTW, Auspicious did give me a good set of suggestions of what to pack.  I just recall sailing around midnight an early November evening last year.  Three fleeces, and my foulies and I was still cold.  I don't like to be cold.  But neither do I want to drag 80 pounds of gear through the airports (never mind stowing it once onboard).
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

Auspicious

Quote from: CharlieJ on November 29, 2009, 02:18:56 PM
Laura washes with fresh water, often with melt water
from ice chest, with some ammonia added. Takes little or no rinsing, no smell lingers, and no salt to get rid of. Give it a try

Grog to Charlie (well - really to Laura) for reminding me of this. I've done it before with good success but clean (ha!) forgot about it in stocking the boat. One more last minute thing to pick up!

I do now have the best inventory list of consumables I've EVER had.

I'm looking forward to seeing Adam coming down the sidewalk next to Exuma Market.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Godot

Quote from: Auspicious on November 29, 2009, 09:53:25 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Adam coming down the sidewalk next to Exuma Market.

Can't wait!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

CharlieJ

Just don't bother with the grocery store stuff- to weak. Laura buys industrial strength from ACE Hardware, by the gallon. Concentrated and a little goes a long way.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Dave, Adam, and crew of 'Auspicious' -

Fair winds! What a great time you'll have. Keep me apprised of your return plans - if you make landfall near here, maybe we can grab a Grog in person. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

nowell

So happy for you guys! Jealous, but very happy! Have a fun, safe trip and post lots of pics! Especially action shots from watch! I love the sea with the boat heeled over, and sails full!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

Pablo

I'm jealous!  Buen viaje!
Paul

Auspicious

Almost ready to go -- still have to load the reefer and freezer and strip the 135 off the furler to load the 100. Everything else is ready. Nasty low coming up the East Coast so first thing tomorrow has become midday, by which time the rain from the current cold front should have passed and we can work in the dry to finish those last two chores.

We're going to head down the Bay and wait in Little Creek for the low to pass North of our track and then slip down behind it before the next cold front rolls through.

Kurt - I'll try to remember to add you to our daily position report and update from the boat.

sail fast and eat well.
S/V Auspicious
Chesapeake Bay

Tim

Have Fun! Looking forward to reports
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Have a safe, fun and fast passage. Enjoy yourselves.