News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Solar Cooking

Started by newt, February 26, 2010, 05:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I have found a bunch of plans for solar ovens/cooking and I am thinking of building one for my boat that is collapsible and mount it next to my BBQ. What do you guys think?
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Oldrig

Hey Newt:

I don't know if this has come up on SailFar before, but I do remember writing a short piece about a commercially available solar cooker (back when I was working for a magazine that is now out of business). I spoke to the folks who marketed this device, and it they were suggesting it for use on a boat at a slip, or presumably at anchor, for most of a day. They even sent me a recipe for fish, slow-cooked by the sun.

Unfortunately, I can't find that small article.

Are you thinking of something like that--or something more intense, like a parabolic mirror with a pan at the focal point?

Anyway, it sounds like an intriguing idea.

Good luck with your research.

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Mr. Fixit

I too like the idea of solar cooking. One danger to watch for is if for some reason, shading, weather, etc. the cooker would cool off there is a danger of bacterial build up in the food. One commercial solar cooker had an electric back up that would come on and finish the cooking. On a boat  you could moniter the cooking temp. and change over to convential cooking if necessary. I am not sure at what point the cooking temp. becomes critical, however I am sure this info is available on line. One home made cooker I looked into was capable of generating temps to 400 deg. I have not looked into solar cookers for several years now and some of the details are fuzzy, if i remember several orginizations are trying to promote solar cooking in third world countries due to the cost of cooking fuel. Anytime you can get the sun to do something it is to your benefit--you can not beat the price!!!

Pablo

Quote from: Mr. Fixit on February 26, 2010, 10:57:14 PM
I too like the idea of solar cooking. One danger to watch for is if for some reason, shading, weather, etc. the cooker would cool off there is a danger of bacterial build up in the food.

Alton Brown used to always say that 40-140? was the bacteria danger zone...
Paul

skylark

What is this thing you call The Sun?
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan