News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Thread Notification

Started by unbusted67, March 15, 2010, 10:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbusted67

How do I make it so that when I click on my profile I see only the threads on which someone had replied? So far the layout is really confusing and I have to scroll through each thread to see where I am.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: unbusted67 on March 15, 2010, 10:48:51 AM

How do I make it so that when I click on my profile I see only the threads on which someone had replied? So far the layout is really confusing and I have to scroll through each thread to see where I am.

Are you using a bookmark in your browser to access the site?  If so, you might try to set the link in your bookmark to:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?action=recent

That will give you a 'thread' of the most recent replies.

Alternatively, if you are looking at the main forum page,

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php

you'll notice that boards with replies have blue diamonds next to them rather than grey diamonds.  If you click the boards marked with blue diamonds, you will get a list of threads in that board.  The ones with new posts will have a "new" icon.  If you click that blue "New" icon, it will take you to the 'unread' messages in that thread.

Finally, you can get an email notifying you that a thread you want to watch has replies.  At the bottom of each thread, where the "Reply" button is, you will see a "Notify" button.  If you click that, you can set up notification for that thread.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CapnK

I've added a Mod to the board which might help a little; the main page now shows some Thread Titles and Post/Replies, instead of being something you have to click on to see (a la the "Recent Posts" link further down). Dunno if that is what y'all were looking for or not, but there 'tis...  ;)

If you look at your own Profile now, there are some settings there with regard to this functionality: Click on the "Recent posts preferences" settings in the menu to the left of the page to see those settings.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Thanks, Kurt.  This is looking like a good Mod.  I think having several options for 'browsing style' is a good thing.

Grog!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Captain Smollett

Okay, is there any way to set that Mod up so that the ONLY threads that get listed are those with "New" (unread) posts?

Here's the dilemma.  It either lists ALL posts in all threads (so I have to 'manually' sort through to see where to start reading) or it creates a link to only the new-est post in a thread (ie, unread posts that are not newest could get missed, or manually have to be scrolled to read to the unread point).

*Ideally* :

A list of only those threads that contain unread posts.  For each such thread, a link to the oldest unread post.

*Super Ideally* : A page that JUST creates the "ideal" content, not in additional to the 'normal' full board list.

{The php to create this should be easy to code if we had to hand-code it - fetch a user's last active date/time, fetch all threads that have posts since that time, display list, complete with generated link to oldest unread post in each such thread.  MOST of the code is already there on the main page for each board...we jut need to display the data a little differently than 'default.'}

If this is unclear, PM or call me and I'll try to clarify.

Sigh; I fear I'm sounding like a nitpicker.  Please don't think I'm a-complain-in.  Just trying to relate what I've seen elsewhere that was VERY easy/user friendly to use.  This new Mod is CLOSE, but still requires some brain-calories to read things in the right order/not miss some things.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina