News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

canning food aboard

Started by CharlieJ, March 09, 2010, 12:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Before we left on this cruise, Laura canned quite a few pints of meat for use aboard, and it was great. Not heavily loaded with salt and other goop- just meat. She canned pint jars of chicken, roast and ground beef.

The only difficulty was the pints were just too much when used in various recipes, since we use no refrigeration, and thus are loathe to keep leftovers unless the temps are quite low

Of course, after 7 months aboard, all that was gone anyway.

So since we have been hanging around here in Boot Key for a while,, she decided to can more stuff aboard the boat.

We searched around Marathon, and found some 1/2 pint jars and bought two cases. She used the pressure cooker as a canner. It has 15psi when at pressure. 75 minutes of cooking and she could do 5 jars at a time.

So,, we now have 25 jars of various meats stowed in the meats locker ( she did 26 but we used one as a trial) and we're good to go. 1/2 pint jars seem to be perfect for the two of us for one meal.  Plus she now knows it can be done aboard ;D

The final product-she  did ground beef, chicken, ground sausage and sliced link sausage.

and the equipment used-

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Leroy - Gulf 29

I'd make a comment about a half-pint making half pints, but she'd come up here and kick my posterior.  ;D Glad you guys are doing the life I'm just hoping to accomplish.  Of course if you get tired of the cold in FL, you could come to MT where it's a balmy 29 here this morning.   Thanks for the tips on the canning etc.  I find your guy's wisdome invaluable.

wolfenzee

My boat came with a pressure cooker that holds 1 pint jars. I would like to find out about canning meats, fish and such. Also I would like to take 1 quart jars of "store bought spaghetti sauce" doctor it up and recan it a in 1 pint jars. I have a frig/freezer which is ok until my marina life ends...I want to buy up large/cheap amounts of meat to can.
It is better to die living than live dieing (Tolstoy paraphrased by J.Buffet
Those that think they know everything piss off those of us that do.

JWalker

Morgan has been canning onboard....we are also using the half pints.

I'll see if I can get her to post some info.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: wolfenzee on November 17, 2011, 01:28:52 PM

I would like to find out about canning meats, fish and such.

I find the pickyourown site to be quite useful; I initially found it looking for info on canning fruits:

http://www.pickyourown.org/allaboutcanning.htm
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain