News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Frank's 1962 Ariel

Started by Frank, December 26, 2005, 10:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Congrats!  That's pretty cool.  Post some pics before and after your work if you can.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Adam

I'm a picture taking fiend... there'll be more pictures than you want to look at :)

Now, I gotta find something to entertain myself until I go pick up the boat!

Pixie Dust

Adam, that is great!  What a deal!  I can sense the excitement in your entries!!!  Wish I had one to bring you.  I am heading to Tampa then to Miami in the next 2 wks. for work.  If you find one in the NFL area, I would be happy to pick it up and bring it down with me. 
Can't wait to see picts!!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

CapnK

Kewl, Adam! ;D What a great price! ;) I bet you're stoked... and really looking forward to April. I believe we have an E27 here in the marina, over on C-dock. Looking forward to seeing those pics of her. That dock arrangementis *great* for what you are planning, you are very fortunate in that, too.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

Good for you Adam, as I always say, "Sailors are GREAT people.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

www.thetinamarie.zoomshare.com (under construction)

Solace

Hey Adam - been following some of your writings on the other board - I think since you first started. Congrats on your new fortune. Good luck with it. We'll all be looking forward to seeing your progress with her.

Cheers!

John

Adam

Well, I am the lucky guy that bought/is buying her. Actually, I send the first of the money tomorrow. This will be the smallest sailboat I've owned (other than a Sunfish when I was little), but studying the layout made me realize that this is probably the IDEAL boat for me. K.I.S.S. is the way to go. I'll be living aboard her in Key West for at least the rest of the year, maybe going over to the Dry Tortugas, or long weekends up the ICW towards Marathon (hopefully with some sort of feminine companionship!  :D ) Either way, this is only the beginning of a new chapter of adventures for hull #50.

In a few months, my friends are sending their twin 8 year old daughters down to spend a week on the boat (and at the beach) with me. Then after hurricane season, We're taking his wife and the girls from Maine to Los Angeles via the Panama Canal. He'll only be on the boat briefly. Either way, this delivery will add to the adventure kitty for #50!

Anywho, be prepared for a lot of pictures and stories to be posted here :)

Adam

Adam

yeah, while the girls are here, there will be netting along all the lifelines too... part of the plan is to teach them to swim (at the pool!) while they're down here.

:)

s/v Faith

Congrats Adam!~

Great boat for a great guy.  Glad that #50 found a good home.

Might want to check out the pearsonariel.org home page for a lonk to the deck log of the pearson Commander (same hull, different cabin top) that did the Panama Canal (Chicago to Berkley).

I am right now typing this from Elizabeth City, NC where I am doing a delivery for the new owner of Ariel #3.... the other Ariel that was for sale on the east Coast.

Look forward to hearing your future reports!

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

Speaking of Ariels I saw one I think it was #383 or something this past weekend whilsit I was taking my class over in the Esuary. I said hey there goes what I had as my 1st boat!  They went ohhhh ahhh nice.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Adam

I may have not been clear. I'm taking HIS boat (55' Roberts cutter) and HIS wife and kids around to LA from Maine... I'm not ready for that adventure yet :) Too much to do and see from right where I am! Probably the first big cruise will be up the east coast, at least as far as Cape Cod...

after that, who knows???

AdriftAtSea

Oh... that makes much more sense... and that many people on a 26' boat sounded a bit crowded.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Adam -

When you head N on Revival, we'll have to time it so me, you, Faith, and Ariel #3's new owner meet up in Southport or something. :D

Congrats on the new boat - she is so pretty, and I know Frank did a nice job on her. Plus, she's proven "Shaken Down, and Cruiseworthy"... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Pixie Dust

Adam, this sounds like an awesome trip coming up and an awesome purchase on your new boat.  Congratulations.  It sounds like Frank got her perfect for her new owner.
Enjoy the little ones!  What a fun adventure for them.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

s/v Faith

Quote from: CapnK on June 08, 2006, 09:45:34 AM
Adam -

When you head N on Revival, we'll have to time it so me, you, Faith, and Ariel #3's new owner meet up in Southport or something. :D

Congrats on the new boat - she is so pretty, and I know Frank did a nice job on her. Plus, she's proven "Shaken Down, and Cruiseworthy"... ;D

;D  What a great idea! 

s/v Faith

Adam,

Lucky DOG.   ;)

;D

Adam

Well gang, stage one of Operation Get Adam To His Boat is complete. I have gone a stupendous 25 miles up US1!

Quick background: I live in Key West, FL. The boat is at Indiantown Marina, which is up near Lake Okeechobee. I bought the boat about 3 months ago, but have not been able to get away from work to go get her.

The plan for a while had been for my Project Superintendent to give me a lift up, since he has a truck, lives 20 miles from where my boat is, is a sailboat owner/enthusiast, and was going home this weekend anyway. To make a long story short, the "storm" hype caused everyone on the job to panic and run for home, leaving me stranded (and poor). My "ride" decided it was a perfect excuse to go see his mother in NY, since it turned into a 7 day Labor Day weekend.

I didn't get my time slip, because they got a last second flight home.
I didn't get my bonus, for the same reason.

So, I adapted and overcame. I got the Project Manager to call and authorize a paycheck to be cut for me and I got my sister to loan me my bonus $ on the promise of Fedex showing up with my bonus from NY. So now I'm set with a little sailing scratch.

Now, to get me, 3 duffels, two backpacks of computer poop, and an outboard motor to the boat:

Stage One consisted of my sister bringing me and all of my poop from Key West to Ramrod.

Tomorrow is stage Two, which is my brother-in-law taking me to Marathon, where I'll meet either my Mom or my baby sister. From there, I go to Florida City, where I'll buy out as much of Wal-Mart as I can cram into the trunk of a Camry around a 4hp Suzuki.

I have triple redundancy in cameras, 4 media cards, two media readers, and blank DVDs should I fill up my 62 gigabytes of free hard drive space. There will be pictures.

Stage Three - Saturday... good 'ol mom is going to drive me by Ray's (Anya's betrothed) to grab the inflatables (in Ft. Lauderdale) then on to Indiantown Marina...

I'll be heading west across FL, then spent a week or so putzing around Punta Gorda with friends. Then down to Marco Island, then straight across to Key West.

I should be fully provisioned, have an extra outboard, plenty of fuel and water, and if all else fails, I have roughly half of the value of the boat in cash... If all else fails, and I have a problem, I plan to throw money at it until it goes away.

All this for a simple little trip across S. Florida?!?!?!?!

:)

Adam

Captain Smollett

Have a good trip, Adam.  I'll be looking forward to those pics!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

Adam-

Fair winds, and looking forward to seeing some nice pix. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Dear Lord man, it is about time!  ;D

You have admirable patience.  I think you are going to be quite happy with that boat, following Frank's work on the internet he seems to have done some really great work.

Have a great trip, and FWIW, when Rose and I delivered 'Ariel Spirit' we had so much stuff packed in our friends van I wondered if it would even fit aboard!

It did. 

Have a great trip.